343gremlin

Thinking about reloading

We need to know a little bit more about your reloading needs.

Do you plan on loading pistol vs rifle?

Do you need plinking ammo or match grade?

Do you plan on reloading all of your ammo or just a little?

for pistol ammo, you're going to be there all day with the Lee. If you want to do pistol ammo in any sort of quantity you should look at one of the progressive presses.

Dillon and Hornady both make a great press.

As a side note, you are getting into reloading at quite possibly the worst time you could. Presses are back ordered a few months, power, primers and bullets are hard to come by, and the scrap brass price is high, so if you need to buy brass that will be expensive too.

The lee single stage will be fine -- I'm reloading 22 years now and still using a rock chucker. You can certainly make enough ammo with a single stage.

If you want to load rifle your better off with a single stage for precision anyway.

Up until very recently I'v been happy loading on my single stage rock chucker - but as I get older, and I now have a second shooter to feed, I'm starting to look at the Hornady and the dillon.

Right now is a terrible time to get started. I'd say, if your serious about reloading, get components if you can find them -- No need for a press if you can't get primers or powder or bullets

As your getting components start to read -- plenty of info out there

The lee single stage will be fine -- I'm reloading 22 years now and still using a rock chucker. You can certainly make enough ammo with a single stage.

If you want to load rifle your better off with a single stage for precision anyway.

Up until very recently I'v been happy loading on my single stage rock chucker - but as I get older, and I now have a second shooter to feed, I'm starting to look at the Hornady and the dillon.

Right now is a terrible time to get started. I'd say, if your serious about reloading, get components if you can find them -- No need for a press if you can't get primers or powder or bullets

As your getting components start to read -- plenty of info out there

This^^^^

I've been using a Rock Chucker for 4 years and it's an awesome single stage press. Even if you want a progressive press for higher quantity, you'll use the single stage for test rounds or precision rifle. How much do you shoot a week? If you shoot hundreds of rounds a week or find reloading a PITA, a single stage will probably be taxing. I enjoy going to the basement and either prepping some brass or making some rounds. Reloading supplies are scarce, but can be found if you're will to look and drive some. Primers are expensive and hardest to find.

The trick with single stage reloading is to batch load. I do operations in batches. I have my brass stored in bags prepped with primers and ready to seat bullets. I can make about 100 rounds in an hour. I like reloading so I'll make 100 -150 rounds at a clip and store them so I have a supply to draw on. I have no ammo problems right now and can shoot when I want at lower than pre-crisis costs.

If you enjoy reloading, it can be as addicting as shooting it.

I own a Lee auto indexing Turret Press, a Challenger Press and a Breech Lock Challenger Press.

They all serve me just fine. I can knock out about 200 rounds per hour with the Turret Press. They have Press kits (as do all manufacturers) that you can view and compare. The Modern Relaoding book by Richard Lee is an excellent read for someone getting into reloading, especially if your using Lee products.

Just go to the Lee Precision website and scroll down half a page they have a link "What do I need to start" reloading.

One more thing, weather your using a $30 single stage reloading Press or a $1500 reloading Press if they both made 40 S&W ammo the end result from both presses will be 40 S&W ammo!

Start with a single stage for economy. Almost everything you buy for reloading will be used with either a single or progressive press.

Maybe after you reload for a couple of months you find out it is not for you. Then you saved some money.

Maybe you find out you are an addict for reloading, then you are only out the cost less resale of the single stage press

Or maybe you end up continuing to use the single stage for a task specific purpose and not out anything.