paulnj088

permits

how many permits do you request when filling out paperwork for your town ?? is there a limit/?

i just put in for 4.is that to many>>? my last request was just 1

thanks

Never less than 3. 3 is the most you can use before expiration if you live in a town where the Police Chief will not sign permit extensions (it is up to their discretion according to the law). If you chief does sign extensions, then you can get up to six. The only reason to get more than that is if you are going to be bequested more guns than that, buying a collection, etc. In this case you would need to fill out the paperwork for exemption from OGAM. O you could order 100 just to make a political statement. :)

that's a good number

if you push them with some large amount & not use them all, then one can see why police depts have "issues" with everyone.

that makes no sense.. if you request a larger amount and done use them, the police just made $2 for each one you dont use..

i dont think you can ask for more than 6 because you cant physically use more than 6, and that's if you have things waiting as soon as the OGAM expires.. but given how long NICS is taking, its pretty much impossible to use 6 in 6 months.. the way things are these days, 4 is more realistic

that said, when i apply again, i will ask for 3 more, because i wont need more than that.. (we will have 3 pistols and 2 long guns by then, so 3 more pistols of varying calibers is a good little collection start)

I will be putting in a request for 4 more permits once my two permits being processed come in. Is there a mandatory waiting period between permit requests from your local PD? I figure if I put the request in the end of this month then the permits should arrive by May or June.

Under the current NICS system it would be impossible to use more than 5 in 180 days. They are currently taking a week or more to process requests and you have to wait 31 days between the requests -- just do the math.

that makes no sense.. if you request a larger amount and done use them, the police just made $2 for each one you dont use..

all I'm saying don't ask for 6 if you only intend to use 3.

you would think the police would be pissed off when they discover gaps in their consecutive records.

that's all.

keep it in mind when you wonder why your PD is so so slow.

guys like you make things worst for everyone

Are you the asshat sitting on his thumbs instead of processing applications? They wouldn't pile up if they were processed in a timely manner. Not to mention you run the paperwork for the applicant, not each permit.

The expired permits would make an nice conversation piece hanging on the wall.

I would think if you asked for 6 permits at a time and did not use them, PD would have to say something at some point. Then again they may never know.

Man, my DT is known to be an A-hole.... I was surprised he asked me why 3 permits? And I'm still waiting! 40 plus days and counting... While my neighbor from the next town got theirs in less than a month.

The DT even said if I don't call to follow up, he would do it faster because its less people bothering him from his paperwork. BS! I can't make this up

But believe me I'm applying for 6 next time around!

how many permits do you request when filling out paperwork for your town ?? is there a limit/?

i just put in for 4.is that to many>>? my last request was just 1

thanks

get the max 6 - u don't have to use them but you likely will - u will thank me later...i got 2 at first...got 6 more...will use all but 1 cause nics will put me past 6 month for the 6th. MORE IS BETTER!

I went today to my PD today to give the secretary doing my paperwork the fax number to send the job verification done which is the last thing holding up my license and permits. Women was very nice and stuck up a conversation about the process and possible delays. She told me that they were getting most licenses and permits out in under 6 weeks. She said the biggest reason for delays was missing information when application was filled out or not getting back reference letters of employment verifications in a timely manner. She said these would get moved to an incomplete pile and then they would have to contact the applicant for the missing information. The problem is the girl that handles the FID apps. and permits only works part time. She has been helping her to pick up the heavy volume as of late.

Anyway some good came out of my permit delay. I asked her if the process for requesting permits in the future once I got my FID card was the same and what would be her guess for a waiting period. She said the process is identical minus the fingerprinting needed most permit requests were coming in at around 6 weeks if everything checked out and all documents were in order but she could not guarantee of course. I explained to her that I only asked for 2 permits with my FID card application because I was not aware of the 90 day extension and would be requesting three more once permits my license came in. She told me that she was the one who typed up the permits once the chief gave the approval. She said if I wanted to add some permits she would just need a check and pay for the additional permits and she would take care of the rest and change my permit request. I sprinted to my car where my wife was waiting and ripped the check book from her bag and ran back in and wrote a check for $4 for two more permits. I was thinking of asking for 3 more for 5 total but I figured 4 handguns would hold me over for a while and I would be pretty broke after buying them within 6 months.

The nice lady saved my at least 6 more weeks of waiting.