maintenanceguy

How Old is Too Old for a Hunting License

I haven't hunted in a long time. I hunted as a teenager but lost my deer stand when I went to college (cousin took it over) and just never bothered to get back into it. (hunting, not the deer stand)

My son's getting close to hunting age and is interested. I'll probably end up taking him. I used to use last year's hunting license as proof to get this year's hunting license. My last hunting license is from 1989!. Am I still able to get a hunting license with this?

Does anyone know if they would honor a NY State big game hunting license and bow tag from 1987 to get a NJ hunting license? I've hunted in NY, Montana and Wyoming but the last time was about 7 years ago.

If you had a NY state license & bow tag then you must have somewhere a Hunter Ed. card to have procured those. That's really all you need. I can only assume that NJ would accept a non-resident one but who knows today. Maybe you can find that info on these links:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/als/websalesintro.htm

Hey - thanks for those links. I took the hunter ed classes back in the late 70's and can't find my cards. I have old licenses, but would like copies of the cards. It looks like the database goes back to the early 70's so I should be able to get copies.

Hey Maintenanceguy, Something your son might appreciate, why don't the both of you go for the course together. Even though you can still get your licence renewed, it would be a great bonding experience and your son would probably feel more at ease when going for his with his best friend along side of him at the same time, and it would never hurt to refresh your safety knowledge! My (now 21 yr old) daughter went for hers 2 years ago with her boyfriend. If he didn't go I would have done it with her, and looking back I wish I did it anyway.

About being too old to hunt: When I was a kid, we used to hunt in my grandfather's woods and would all come up to the farm for lunch. My grandmother made a big meal every day during hunting season for 12 or 15 of the uncles and cousins.

My grandmother stopped cooking and took up deer hunting when she was in her late 60's and hunted most of deer season into her mid 70's. All 4'8" of her. She wore an orange hat, coat, pants, and boots so nobody would mistake her for a deer. She passed away several years ago and I wish I had a picture of her dressed in her orange standing next to her gun that was as tall as she was.

went back hunting 3 years ago after 40 years..showed my 1964 license..no problem..however the rules are really different now..read game guide carefully..also transporting guns and ammo..met a game warden last year while hunting..he looked like a member of a swat team..lots of changes.i still love it though at 72

You're never too old. Hunting is something you can do at your own pace. Just getting out is fun. Yes, read that Digest. Those deer zones and certain seasons may change from year to year based on previous year's harvest numbers.

IMO never too old to hunt

Mmm the guys at the range with those things that absorb the recoil, anyone with Mr. Magoo eyes, and those unable to drag out what they shoot are too old to hunt. I'm just a young whipper snapper though. ;)

My ex-FIL is 78 is still hunting gun and bow and has for nearly 60 years. He is an exeption however. Physically, he can put many 1/4 of his age to shame. A couple of years ago he has had to start using reading glasses however.

My one uncle is 87. He still hunts. Not big game so much anymore but still an avid upland hunter with his Setter. He travels all over the U.S. to bird hunt. He's heading to Alaska in a few months to go fishing. My dad is 88 and still hunts. My dad will start driving upstate to flyfish his favorite trout streams in New York every weekend once April 1st rolls around. He often goes alone. The younger guys in deer camp drag the deer, that's they're role. The older guys have earned the right for some relaxation. My other uncle stopped hunting at 92 when his English Setter died. He's still alive though, and he'll turn 103 this December.

When carrying a rifle, lunch, coffee and a crapper bag becomes too much work throw in the towel. Even vision isn't an issue since I've witnessed a Guy shoot at something a heard was a deer through some brush.... truth ... I just walked away quickly. :blink:

When carrying a rifle, lunch, coffee and a crapper bag becomes too much work throw in the towel. Even vision isn't an issue since I've witnessed a Guy shoot at something a heard was a deer through some brush.... truth ... I just walked away quickly. :blink:

Anyone who shoots at sound and not identify their intended target by sight first is not a hunter. I believe the two fatalities in New York's 2012 deer season were hapless souls indentitied by either sound or movement.

My one uncle is 87. He still hunts. Not big game so much anymore but still an avid upland hunter with his Setter. He travels all over the U.S. to bird hunt. He's heading to Alaska in a few months to go fishing. My dad is 88 and still hunts. My dad will start driving upstate to flyfish his favorite trout streams in New York every weekend once April 1st rolls around. He often goes alone. The younger guys in deer camp drag the deer, that's they're role. The older guys have earned the right for some relaxation. My other uncle stopped hunting at 92 when his English Setter died. He's still alive though, and he'll turn 103 this December.

I hope to be just like them!!! My Dad is still going strong at 75, snowmobiles, trips with his 4 wheeler, 2 motorcycles & still hunts & fishes.