Sign in to follow this  
matyb123

local reloading supplies

hi guys i am filling in all the puzzle pieces to my reloading learning adventure! i have 5000 small pistol primers, 1000 9mm and 1000 .40 s&w

no i dont want to sell any of it!

i have a lot of brass that my friend is sorting and we were kinda gonna go in on this together as a joint deal..

anyway my question is POWDER!?!? what and where to buy for pistols?? there are so many out there and i would just like to go into a local store and talk to someone..

what shops are there that sell these things in south jersey?

how far will a pound of powder go?

when you order powder online you have to pay some big hazmat charges, are those charges added on when you buy from a store or do you get around them?

also am looking for a progressive loader to do 9mm, .40 and .223 if you have anything for sale just shoot me a pm

thanks in advance, i know nothing really about reloading so you can dumb it down as much as you like!

I can tell you right now that Sarco occasionally has powder. My friend helped me pick up some W231 from the store. It was $27 for a 1lb bottle... so yeah - you definitely get marked up from the store (Powder Valley has it for $17.60).

1lb of powder = 7000 grains... sooo... figure out how many grains you need per bullet and you'll see approximately how much you can load :)

I can tell you right now that Sarco occasionally has powder. My friend helped me pick up some W231 from the store. It was $27 for a 1lb bottle... so yeah - you definitely get marked up from the store (Powder Valley has it for $17.60).

1lb of powder = 7000 grains... sooo... figure out how many grains you need per bullet and you'll see approximately how much you can load :)

thanks how many grains usually go into a bullet? say 9mm?

also thats actually a pretty good price cuz midway is one of the only places i was seeing with powder for about the same price but plus the hazmat and shipping...

i have been hearing a lot about sarco but have never been there, i guess i gotta take a ride!

The Gun Rack in Vineland and Butchs Gun World used to have powder but with the current situation they may be out. Try Bobs Little Sport Shop too. Keep looking online, when you see it you gotta jump on it. Gunshows too, as mobbed as they are right now it'll probably be your best bet.

Hey I reloaded for quite a long time. For 9mm I was using CCI small pistol primers,115 gr JRN bullets or Speer 124 lead RN. Behind 3.5 gr. Bullets powder. Crono'd at 1100 fps. No barrel leading. Very accurate.

cool thank you! so 3.5 grns for a 9mm

what about a .40?

If you really plan to get into reloading, do yourself a big favor and pick this up. There are way too many variables to just say 3.5 for 9mm etc.

http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloading-Definitive/dp/1440213968

And some reloading manuals.

example:

http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-49Th-Edition-Reloading-Handbook/dp/B001MYEU0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363470625&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+49th+edition+reloading+handbook

cool thank you! so 3.5 grns for a 9mm

what about a .40?

It all depends on the powder used, COL, and type of bullet. 3.5 gr. may not be good for what you're loading. You need to find a recipe for the type of powder used and bullet type. Powder manufacturers usually have recipes on-line. I would also get some reloading manuals.

Gene Solomon should have powder. Win 231 or HP38 (same thing) is a good powder. I use it for 9mm and 40 S&W. Solomon's has limited hours but is worth the trip. It's like a store straight from the 50's. I think they may be cash only and bring your FID card if getting powder.

Solomons

142 Yellow Brook Rd,

Farmingdale, NJ 07727

Wed & fri 6:30 - 9:00pm

Sun 1:00 - 4:00 pm

If you really plan to get into reloading, do yourself a big favor and pick this up. There are way too many variables to just say 3.5 for 9mm etc. http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloading-Definitive/dp/1440213968 And some reloading manuals. example: http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-49Th-Edition-Reloading-Handbook/dp/B001MYEU0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363470625&sr=8-1&keywords=lyman+49th+edition+reloading+handbook

yea i knew that wasnt law more so a general example i know you have to follow the book to the "T" and caution on the lower side and every powder is different..

i am ordering the book right now! thanks

It all depends on the powder used, COL, and type of bullet. 3.5 gr. may not be good for what you're loading. You need to find a recipe for the type of powder used and bullet type. Powder manufacturers usually have recipes on-line. I would also get some reloading manuals. Gene Solomon should have powder. Win 231 or HP38 (same thing) is a good powder. I use it for 9mm and 40 S&W. Solomon's has limited hours but is worth the trip. It's like a store straight from the 50's. I think they may be cash only and bring your FID card if getting powder. Solomons 142 Yellow Brook Rd, Farmingdale, NJ 07727 Wed & fri 6:30 - 9:00pm Sun 1:00 - 4:00 pm

its an hour and 20 mins from me im gonna have to call first

I reload 10mm & only hand measure each charge so using 800x is no big deal. But if you were to use a powder drop 800x sucks. So some more info about your setup will help others help you. I always try to buy powder & primers local because I rather spend more for the powder, support a local guy & avoid the hazmat BS. Also what are looking for low cost, high performance, somewhere in btw?

I reload 10mm & only hand measure each charge so using 800x is no big deal. But if you were to use a powder drop 800x sucks. So some more info about your setup will help others help you. I always try to buy powder & primers local because I rather spend more for the powder, support a local guy & avoid the hazmat BS. Also what are looking for low cost, high performance, somewhere in btw?

i dont have a setup yet... just buying all the components cuz if worst comes to worst i can always trade them..

i am not looking to save cost just to be able to shoot more for the same price if that makes sense.. plus i would like to stock up and become a little independent..

not to change the subject to much but say if i but a lee load master..

does it take any dies or do i have to buy lee dies? i want to do .223, .40 and 9mm they have them on amazon and the .223 is way cheaper and figured i would just get the other dies..

No....

Buy a reloading manual before.you hurt yourself.......

Each.powder Burns differently......

I know I know! I bought the book I was asking for more of a math equation to see how far on average it goes..

I now know a bull let dosnt take 100 grains of powder that all I wanted to know

not to change the subject to much but say if i but a lee load master..

does it take any dies or do i have to buy lee dies? i want to do .223, .40 and 9mm they have them on amazon and the .223 is way cheaper and figured i would just get the other dies..

Look at the shipping details on Amazon...it usually says 2-3months for dies

Look at the shipping details on Amazon...it usually says 2-3months for dies

I bought my 9mm dies from opticsplanet.com and they were in stock, got them in 5 days. Of course that was a month ago.

I bought the Hornady New Dimension dies.

yea i knew that wasnt law more so a general example i know you have to follow the book to the "T" and caution on the lower side and every powder is different..

i am ordering the book right now! thanks

Get that Lyman reloading book as well, it's probably the most trusted one out there for load data.

I was going to buy the following. Then I had heard supplies are limited and pricey as is ammo these days.

See the attached. I'm pretty sure this guy will take $400 maybe less. Good luck AND READ THE BOOKS everyone suggested. Don't want to read about you in the papers!! If you know what I mean.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/3680348356.html

I was going to buy the following. Then I had heard supplies are limited and pricey as is ammo these days.

See the attached. I'm pretty sure this guy will take $400 maybe less. Good luck AND READ THE BOOKS everyone suggested. Don't want to read about you in the papers!! If you know what I mean.

http://philadelphia....3680348356.html

yes i saw this as well! i just bought a new rifle so my reloading operation may have to be put on hold for a month or two lol