JohnnyB

14 day wait to pick up a handgun???

Hello,

A friend of mine just called to tell me he just got his FID and handgun purchase permit. He had earlier put a Sig 1911 .45 on hold at a local gun shop in South Jersey.

He went back today to pay the balance and pick up his new pistol and was instructed to fill out a form on a computer there. The form seemed identical to the one he filled out for the FID card.

He was shocked when told to come back in 14 days to pick up the gun. The dealer told him this law went into effect in December 2012 due to the shootings in CT. I can't seem to find any

reference to this new law on the net. Has anyone else heard of this???????

Hello,

A friend of mine just called to tell me he just got his FID and handgun purchase permit. He had earlier put a Sig 1911 .45 on hold at a local gun shop in South Jersey.

He went back today to pay the balance and pick up his new pistol and was instructed to fill out a form on a computer there. The form seemed identical to the one he filled out for the FID card.

He was shocked when told to come back in 14 days to pick up the gun. The dealer told him this law went into effect in December 2012 due to the shootings in CT. I can't seem to find any

What shop was that?

That place needs to be avoided like the plague.

Hello,

This is a bunch of BS, oh please tell us who this is........ PLEASE!!!

This is a bunch of BS, oh please tell us who this is........ PLEASE!!!

I would love to post the name of the dealer but since I was not there to witness the event, I don't want to give bad press to a business

based on hearsay alone. I will try to verify this with the dealer on Monday. If they tell me the same thing, I will post their name and location gladly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that if the state didn't get back in a certain amount of time the FFL could go ahead with the sale? And, if so, then these FFLs are shtupping us. If the incompetent, agenda-driven state is going to do this, then the pistol permit should be valid until the NICs check comes in. With all of the NICS money being collected, there certainly should be additional hires.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that if the state didn't get back in a certain amount of time the FFL could go ahead with the sale? And, if so, then these FFLs are stuping us.

I believe it is 3 days after a pending/delayed is sent back from NCIS. I don't think there is a actual time frame in which they need to respond. At least if I remember what FFL's have said.

My guess is the dealer said it would be safe to return in 14 days to pick up the gun because by then the NICS would be back. The dealer probably said something along the lines of "You're definitely safe waiting 14 days to come back and pick it up. NICS has been taking a long time since December because of the Newtown shooting."

No one can just go buy a gun and leave with it on the same day in NJ these days. It takes a few days to week from what I've read for the instant background check.

My understanding is the law says they can release a weapon if no response in three days, but they don't have to - and that is the operative part. I was talking to the owner at my FFL last week and he said they can but won't because they don't have a number back to put on the form and if the check eventually came back negative they would have a problem and just don't want to risk it.

My understanding is the law says they can release a weapon if no response in three days, but they don't have to - and that is the operative part. I was talking to the owner at my FFL last week and he said they can but won't because they don't have a number back to put on the form and if the check eventually came back negative they would have a problem and just don't want to risk it.

The 3-day thing ONLY applies if the check comes back as Pending. The 3-day period does NOT start until a response comes back.