Agent_Smith

Thoughts on 9mm 1911

I was planning to get a 9mm 1911 Trojan for IDPA and Knockdown steel. Partly this was an ammo cost consideration.

Wondering now whether I should be considering a .40 or .45 instead.

Here are some considerations:

1) I recently read a blog post saying that the farther you strayed from the original 1911 design, the more likely you were to run into problems with your gun running properly. The post counted 9mm as a type of "straying." Are 9mm 1911s potentially more troublesome than .45s or .40s?

2) If you are reloading (assuming components come back in stock and prices go back to "normal"), how big is the price difference between reloading 9mm and .45 ammo on a cost-per-round basis.

3) What speed or action shooting competitions (not bullseye) would a .40 or .45 be more suited for than a 9mm?

Thanks

AS

1.) Not really a valid argument on a quality 9mm 1911. Rock island (Yes, thats quality!) the S&W pro series 9mm and the STIs all are great 9mm platforms that are reliable

2.) I reload .45acp and 9mm for exactly the same price

3.) Not sure, but I can assure you that a 9mm 1911 is an accurate creampuff to shoot due to its light round and heavy weight

I have an STI Spartan in 9mm. And it functions flawlessly. I don't reload so I can't help you there, but as Glenn said any good company makes a reliable 1911 no matter the caliber.

If you want to shoot USPSA singlestack, 40 is the way to go, because it allows you to shoot major power factor (major scoring). 9mm singlestack is minor scoring,but you do get an extra 2 rounds per mag. The extra 2 rounds are sometime benifically, but usually over the length of a match, major wins out.

I have a STI Spartan 9mm, it runs 100% quality mags are a big plus,

9mm can be more finiky then a 45, but if you get good mags, then they are about even. I recommend Daweson precision

I do not know why you even want a 1911 for the two sports you mention. Have you researched what Class you have to shoot in with a 1911 style pistol in IDPA? For my money I would get a Glock 34 with a 3.5 lb. trigger and a good pair of sights and you are good to go. The Glock 34 rules the Production glass in IDPA. Just look at the number of guns used in the national matches. It is also a good gun for steel. You can even get along very well with a Glock 17 by installing a 3.5 lb. trigger, extended slide and mag release and a good pair of sights. Do not know why you want to compete with a 1911 style pistol in 9mm when you have some very fine semi autos that are used successfully in both sports. I competed with a CZ 75 and won a few purses with it. Had a friend who bought a Kimber 1911 9mm and regretted it. Was not as reliable for him as all the other guns out there for steel. The M&P line is another good choice and I had the M&P Pro which is a great gun with an Apex trigger. Long sight radius and nice trigger make it a winner. Even the FNH line is good. But if you have your heart set on a 1911 go for it. I used to have a Colt New Agent and Colt Defender in 9mm. Not as reliable as the other posters' guns so I got rid of them. Now I compete with an FNX-9 and S&W 617 (in .22 division). At least look into IDPA rules and what class you would shoot in with a 1911 SA gun. You may prefer shooting production with another type gun.

The 9mm 1911's run just as good as a one chambered in .45 unless their is an issue with the gun that needs repair.

It is a cheaper platform to run if you purchase ammo and little bit cheaper if you reload about 30.00 per 1000.

The STI is a great running platform along with kimber and smith & wesson...

Good steel gun and uspsa running 124 gr ammo or 147.

I shoot a SW Pro 9mm in single stack USPSA, and do reload my own ammo for it. It likes 124 HP's, and I did have to dremel my wilson mags for it to be reliable. I had a problem with rounds nose-diving and jamming into the front lip of the mag. Some folks don't need to, but seems I had a batch that required me to grind/polish them a tad.

The added bonus for me is cheap brass, so I don't have to chase brass at matches. I don't feel guilty leaving it on the ground. :)

Its my favorite gun to shoot out of my handguns.

im in the market for a ria 9mm tactical. hard to find right now. but i cant find any complaints on it. everyone has good things to say about their 9mm's. i know its a step below where you are looking. but from what ive read and heard there is no issues. so there shouldnt be any with any quality built 1911 9mm.

In IDPA I think a non-.45 1911 would be stuck in ESP which is not a big deal in itself except you'll need to make sure your piece has 10-round mags to be on the same level as the other competitors.

A .45 can shoot CDP but that's just to segregate the 8-round .45 shooters from the 10-round smaller caliber shooters.

I compete with a 9mm 1911 Trojan in IDPA and would have no issues using it for steel. In fact I bought it after watching Mike DiGennaro clean up with it at a steel match. Granted Mike can out-shoot most people blindfolded.

From a dependability perspective I have had no problems, but a friend and fellow competitor who has the same gun has had mag seating issues. Our guns are set up the same (including mags) but he over-inserts his mags during reloads...we cant seem to figure out the issue. My gun likes slightly hotter rounds, and will not lock the slide with light loads. A lighter recoil spring should fix this. Overall it's a great gun, and I highly recommend it, and will continue to shoot with it. However I am still faster with my G34, which was half the price.

As far as an advantage for larger calibers in IDPA, there is one, bigger holes. USPSA is a different story as others have said above. For steel you will likely prefer 9mm.

It is all a mater of tast and why you shoot and train...

I have 3 1911s and they are all in 45 acp...

Why? Cause it is one of the most proven 1 shot stoppers (no gaurantees of course)...

I use two of them for USPSA.

Why? Because I believe in traing with what you use if "TSHTF".

If you are just trying to get points - way to go is .40.

Now, my 3rd USPSA gun - which is on hold due to 30 day NJ BS rule - will be an S.A. XD-Competion with a 5.25 barrel...I was so impressed with their mini-XDs that i decided to go out of 1911 box...It will be interesting to see how the XD-Comp shoots compared to my Kimber and Wilson 1911s.