Sludog

Sig 1911.......Any thoughts?

I will probably be getting a 1911 with the batch of permits I am getting. My shooting planned for this gun is range and target so far but the 1911 will be my home defense go to gun. I was set on getting a Kimber or S&W performance series since they seem very popular and owners love them. I saw a few well priced Sig 1911's on the market that caught my eye. The X5 is a bit out of my price range so looking just at the various other Sig models. I have not heard much feedback on the Sig so anyone who is familiar with a Sig 1911 I would appreciate your comments.

Also would you recommend a Sig 220 over the 1911 for a 45 acp handgun? Can you get 22 conversion kits for both of these?

I really like the SIG 1911 Fastback. That is what I would purchase if I had some extra funds.

Never shot one, but recently read this:

http://www.thetrutha...er-1911-nitron/

Great article. I would have to think that the tested gun was defective to malfunction as bad as it did or the internet would be buzzing. I heard of a few instances with the Kimber Solo malfunctioning quit a bit when it first came out and everyone was badmouthing that gun but have not heard anything in a while.

The sigs are very nice have only read of some issues reading articles but have not seen any personally.

I'm also considering a Sig 1911. Read a lot of positive reviews particularly very good craftsmanship for the money you pay. Much less expensive than Kimber. I also like you considered Kimber with so many choices its so difficult to chose.

I have a sig, kimber, and Wilson 1911s...They go up from price from the sig...HUndreds of dallars to the kimber, 1000s to the Wilson...Honestly, the sig is an ok gun but not as accurate by far as the kimber...That doesn't bother me too much, but the sig also has more jams then it should...1 or two in 100 rounds is way too many...The kimber has had 1 in 700...Wilson is if you want to squeeze extra accuracy out of a 1911 at a very high cost (not for everyone) or for the fanatics who just look at how pretty they are (not for me I am a shooter first!)...Bottom line, I have only one sample of a sig, but I am not overly amazed by it..For a few hundred more, kimber is a better choice IMHO.

+1 on the Sig Fastback. Also check out the Sig Nightmare, that one is sick!!! Both good carry models too with the rounded bottom.

For a home protection gun, you might want to think about a rail on there like the Sig Tactical Operations or Extreme. Both are awesome pieces.

Now with all that said, I would personally go with a Kimber TLE II RL Stainless with a Rail...

My Sig XO in stainless arrived at Ottomanelli's today so I went down there to do the paperwork and wait for the nics. It is more solid and nicer looking that I thought it would be. These guns are nice for the money. I did alot of research before settling on this Sig.

Slu.... I have a tacops that is downright scary accurate. It eats everything I have fed it. Only issue I have had was surprisingly with chip mccormak shooting star mags not locking back the slide. Not unusual that a 1911 is finicky about mags.

I have the scorpion 1911. Great gun. Solid and well built

Funny the scorpion 1911 is the one that caught my eye. I would like to check out a Sig Nightmare that a few have mentioned.

Slu.... I have a tacops that is downright scary accurate. It eats everything I have fed it. Only issue I have had was surprisingly with chip mccormak shooting star mags not locking back the slide. Not unusual that a 1911 is finicky about mags.

Yea I heard that a lot of 1911 guns are very finicky about certain mags. I have plenty of time to shop around because I have to wait at least a month before I buy a 1911 because I have a 9mm Walther P99 that will burn off my first permit. ;)

I am by all means a Sig man I carry one every day and trust my life to my P229 with that being said the Sig 1911's are the ugliest line of 1911's I've ever seen and held. Ill take the STI anyday

I have a tacpac its very accurate. I have had the same problem as the article but not in that frequency I've had 2 or 3 failure to strip a round in about 2000 rounds no other problems though. I clean the thing every 200 -300 rounds if that makes any difference.

held a few and they felt solid. never fired one tho. they seem to get really good reviews. i dont consider them a true 1911 though, as they have the external extractor.

+1 on this. Checked one out a few weeks ago, I liked It, but I don't view it as a 1911 (Feels really good, actually). If you like it, get it. Then shoot it and learn it. People get Kimbers and Colts that have issues too, however, many problems that 1911's have can be remedied. You just have to be willing to do a little work, or send it back to Sig if a problem arises. The Sig 220 may be more of a "works right out of the box gun." OP, I guess what I'm getting at is that there is no "wrong" choice here. Get the gun that feels right for you. BTW, dono how much you are paying for that Sig, but a Kimber Custom II can be had for just $900.

I've got the Sig 1911 TTT. I've put about 1000 rounds through it so far....only issues I've had were with some handloads (not mine...I've learned my lesson). I have had no issues with factory ammo. I can shoot the TTT quite well, better than most of my other pistols to be honest. I prefer the "Sig look" of the TTT vs. the classic 1911 style...Mine was made April 2011 and I'm the original owner...can't speak to current production, but I'm happy with all my Sig pistols...

I've had a few minutes behind a P220 carry, and I loved it as well. I felt it fit me perfectly, perhaps even more so than the P226 I own, and I thought that was the perfect gun for me....

I'd imagine you can't go wrong either way...see what fits better for you...I'm planning to get the P220 as well.

1911_1_sm.jpg

Mine currently has carbon fiber grips, not the factory wood grips...