Cemeterys Gun Blob

Gov Christie's Violence Task Force Report is HERE

didnt read it all, but what i got so far was, no mag limits restricting further needed unless the fed laws pass because a mass murderer will go to another state and buy it. also they said there is no gunshow loophole in nj. which is a good sign.

I didn't see anything in terms of the gun control section which were all that insane for NJ or would add restrictions to eligible NJ FID card holders... what they do with this info is completely different tho.. I didn't see anything that really stuck out as absurd, i dont think we need any more of this crap, but putting harsher penalties on existing laws seems to be a repeater.

Skip to page 23, the gun law recommendations start there.

They have to give *something* is my guess.

The FID renewal and photo seems like it's happening. That's the only significant thing I saw. No mag limits, no 50 cal ban, no AWB. I still don't want anything passed but this seems like it's not much at all.

On the other hand, he put some other poisonous things in there, like regulating violent video games. That's sure to go over well.

I am FUMING reading this bs! All revommendations will be made to enure it is even HARDER for the leal gun owner to comply! I can't take much more of this.

While most probably a moot question....You didn't actually expect the recommendations to include making it easier to buy and own firearms in NJ, did you?

Dudes, this is much better than it could have been. The absence of a mag limit recommendation and the recognition that A) NJ already prohibits "large capacity magazines" and B) reducing the current limit won't do squat in the absence of a federal limit is encouraging and gives me hope that the 10 round mag capacity bill will either stall in the Senate or not be signed by the governor. FID card renewals are coming.

One thing that burns me is the discussion of mental illness, and the focus on how mentally ill people are more likely to be the victims of violence, etc., etc. I'm getting pretty sick of this PC crap. Newtown, Aurora, the Giffords Shooting, Virginia Tech -- all caused not by guns but rather by mentally ill people who never should have been walking the streets. We need a return to the old system where involuntary commitment of seriously mentally ill people was a viable option, although we obviously do need to make sure that our mental institutions are run intelligently and humanely with plenty of ovesight. Sorry, but there is a reason why mentally ill people are often shunned. In some cases -- for example the shooters in the tragedies I just mentioned -- mentally ill people are simply lacking empathy for others and missing some basic element of humanity and they need to be segregated from the general population, not left free to play thousands of hours of call of duty while compiling violent manifestos..

1.17 Establish an Interstate Agreement to Share Information. See page 27.

0 Enhance Security Procedures for Remote Ammunition Purchases. See page 25.

Encourage and Facilitate the Voluntary Surrender of Lawfully-Owned Firearms for Safekeeping

During Periods of Crisis. See page 25.

Allow for an Exemption so that Designated Out-of-State Authorities Can Confirm NICS

Records. See page 53.

The FID renewal and photo seems like it's happening. That's the only significant thing I saw. No mag limits, no 50 cal ban, no AWB. I still don't want anything passed but this seems like it's not much at all.

On the other hand, he put some other poisonous things in there, like regulating violent video games. That's sure to go over well.

NJ PDs must be running out of functioning manual typewriters by now....

I don't see anything that would derail Christie's primary aspirations for Florida, Texas and Louisiana. (which, I've thought all along, is the whole point of this.)

They are split on the mag restrictions, but leave it in the legislatures hands to decide rather than to offer up a solid recommendation.

"Although the Task Force has been unanimous in all other questions, on this one issue of magazine size, we reached no consensus and therefore withhold any recommendation on whether to retain or reduce the current magazine limit, other than to recommend that policymakers further consider this question. There is, however, unanimity in the recognition that the balance of competing arguments would be different if the federal government were to re-instate a ban on large capacity ammunition feeding devices, because a national law might prove to be more effective in making

large-capacity magazines less available.

Furthermore, we believe that the State Police should collect and report detailed information about both the ammunition capacity and actual number of rounds loaded in all recovered crime guns. That data would provide more insight on how many cases might be affected by a change in the magazine capacity limit."

at least they didnt say magazine clips. Id start doing a breakdown but the damn formatting from pdf to this is pissing me off :)

This one really worries me. Wouldn't this facilitate a registry? The ability to electronically log all firearms purchased down to the serial number.

"As part of the process of modernizing the form of a firearms purchaser identification card, consideration should be given to the feasibility of incorporating features designed not only to prevent tampering and impersonation, but also to take advantage of modern information-sharing technology that can be built into swipe cards. If, for example, a firearms purchaser identification card were upgraded to include a bar code, magnetic strip, or other means of recording digital information, such a card might facilitate real-time electronic communications between the seller and the State Police. Such a tool, in other words, would not just serve to verify the purchaser‟s identity, but could also be used to facilitate electronic transmission of information about the transaction to and from the State Police in the same way that a credit card is used to transmit transactional information between a credit card company and a retail merchant. That might eliminate the need for the seller to mail completed hard copy forms to the State Police. It might also be possible to develop a single “smart” card that could serve the distinct functions that are now served by a firearms purchaser identification card and a handgun purchase permit. Were such a unitary card able to facilitate the communication of information electronically to and from the State Police, it could be used to receive electronic confirmation from the State Police that the contemplated transaction (e.g., purchase of a handgun, purchase of a rifle or shotgun, or purchase of handgun ammunition) is authorized under State law."

That would be incorrect.

They did not say that there is no need for lower mag limits... they said they could not come to an agreement between them if it is needed or not, some were for it, others against it, so they did not give the official recommendation.

Furthermore, they did state near the beginning, that these recommendations are not the only recommendations Christie should take, but should be in conjunction with anything else from Legislation.

There are other issues too... such as disclosing if you were on ANY meds for mental issues.... so if you took anti depressants 20 years ago because of x, y, and z.... or you even talked to a shrink... has to be disclosed, and in most cases would likely be denied unless you prove otherwise that you are ok.

I'll support a Photo ID and renewal when NJ becomes a SHALL ISSUE state.

This one seems fun. If a restricted person tries to buy ammunition they are committing the same offense as criminal possession of a firearm even for just trying to buy it, not just being in possession.

Ensure Appropriate Punishment for the Unlawful Possession of, or Attempt to Acquire,Ammunition A person who is disqualified from acquiring or possessing a firearm (e.g., a convicted felon) who knowingly possesses or attempts to acquire any ammunition should be guilty of an offense of the same degree and carrying the same punishment as applies to the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm.

I'll support a Photo ID and renewal when NJ becomes a SHALL ISSUE state.

The big thing they were on is FID renewal....

My thing with it... the cost. They state in the report that there would be additional cost, and some members of task force felt that additional cost should be passed onto the gun purchasers. Once again, they can state it is $500 to renew FID.

Fortunately at least some members felt since it is a right , the cost should be on the states/municipalities.... well, except we all know who pays for it.

The big nail in coffin is how they felt about CCW.... let me find the snippet.

"

New Jersey law imposes significant restrictions on when a person may obtain a permit to carry a handgun based upon a “justifiable need.” See N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4. Regulations define justifiable need to mean “urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant‟s life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun.” See N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(d). These “carry” permits must be approved by a Superior Court Judge and are issued only when the court finds an urgent necessity for self-protection that entails more than a generalized fear for personal safety or the need to protect property alone. See In re Preis, 118 N.J. 564 (1990)."

This was the snippet about "recommendations"

"It is important to note that our recommendations on gun control matters are not intended to be exhaustive. The fact that we have not commented on a specific subject that might be addressed

in legislation or by an Executive Branch enforcement initiative should not be construed to mean that the idea is without merit or is too trivial to warrant discussion. Rather, given the scope of our mission as set forth in Executive Order 124, we have not tried to catalog every conceivable legislative initiative or enforcement program. We leave that task to the Governor‟s Chief Counsel and the Attorney General, who regularly advise the Governor on the substance and constitutionality of legislative matters. Similarly, we leave it to the Office of Legislative Services, Governor‟s Counsel, the Attorney General, and others to work out the details and to draft actual legislative text to accomplish any of our recommendations that are found to have merit."

I must remind myself that these are just recommendations with some points made purposefully vague, The final determination. if any, is yet to be made after The Governor and the legislature finishes their horse trading and his handlers determine what will benefit a higher office run in the future.

The fat lady has yet to warm up Gents.

I don't like this one at all:

"In addition, the database will eventually include all involuntary commitment records dating back to 1975, which will bring the total number of records sent to NICS to anywhere between 500,000 and 800,000."

So if you did something stupid in 1975 and now you 55 years old you can't get a firearm?

Also, this is a slap in the face regarding the renewal of FOID cards:

"There was some sentiment among Task Force members that funding for such improvements should be secured by ensuring that the costs of gun ownership are borne by gun owners and not subsidized by taxpayers."

I know they go on to say it's a Constitutional right and leave it to the governor, but they are proposing all this crap then want you to pay for it.

What's this all about?

We recommend that this law be strengthened to make certain that the surrender of the firearms purchaser identification card actually happens. Toward that end, we believe that a court should be required at the time of conviction or civil commitment to determine whether the person has been issued a card and if so, to order its immediate surrender, along with the surrender of any firearms that the person may own, unless the card and firearms had already been surrendered at an earlier stage of the judicial proceedings. See Recommendation 1.4.

This is so vague it's scary.

-American Medical Association Journal of Internal Medicine (JAMA Report, cited at page 5, supra) noted that guns are the most common method of suicide overall and teen suicide in particular, and that increased accessibility to loaded unlocked guns is associated with an increased risk of suicide.

Suicide rates are lower now than they were in the 1950's.

This is such a BS report I have to stop reading it.

I don't believe Christie will ban internet sells of ammunition based on their findings, seems like he'll require internet sellers verify address and identity, probably through faxing our new fid cards with our pictures and a copy of our license or other government issued identification with address and picture

What do you guys think

I don't believe Christie will ban internet sells of ammunition based on their findings, seems like he'll require internet sellers verify address and identity, probably through faxing our new fid cards with our pictures and a copy of our license or other government issued identification with address and picture

What do you guys think

That section was for NJ Online dealers who sells to NJ residents.

Quite frankly, they can pass a law... but it would be interstate commerce issues to say that you cannot buy something online from out of state.... unless they go to EVERY dealer and beat them over the head and start suing them.

Dudes, this is much better than it could have been. The absence of a mag limit recommendation and the recognition that A) NJ already prohibits "large capacity magazines" and B) reducing the current limit won't do squat in the absence of a federal limit is encouraging and gives me hope that the 10 round mag capacity bill will either stall in the Senate or not be signed by the governor. FID card renewals are coming.

Better?? As in getting stabbed in the leg is better than getting stabbed in the eye. It's more of the same shit. Take Take Take.

Are you guys sure that you're reading the same report that I just did. I think that, given what is going on in other states around the country, and given NJ's already demonstrated propensity for ridiculous gun control hoops for us to jump through, we fared pretty well. I'd also remind folks that these are just findings and opinions that Christie will use when evaluating bills passed by the legislature. In that context - given the total inanity of all of those bills - this report will actually help us. It is a political escape hatch for Christie and the recommendations in the report address many of the shortcomings of the bills already introduced and passed by the assembly. For example - the inclusion of due process for any mental health firearm confiscations.

Maybe I'm a glass half full kind of guy, but this is far, far better than I expected. Please don't misinterpret my comments to think that I endorse this whole dog & pony show, but considering where we live and the strictures placed on us already, this could have been a lot worse - one only need to look next door for evidence of that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

That section was for NJ Online dealers who sells to NJ residents.

Quite frankly, they can pass a law... but it would be interstate commerce issues to say that you cannot buy something online from out of state.... unless they go to EVERY dealer and beat them over the head and start suing them.

Well according to that nj will probably make it law that we're only allowed to buy ammunition from internet sellers who verify our identity and address and put the punishment on us if we try to purchase from an online seller who doesn't

Better?? As in getting stabbed in the leg is better than getting stabbed in the eye. It's more of the same shit. Take Take Take.

Yes, exactly. Were you expecting a recommendation that the FID system be abolished, the NJ AWB repealed, and shall issue CCW implemented immediately? It sucks in this state, were you not aware of that? I was afraid that this report would make it suck a whole lot more, and it seems that it will suck only a little bit more. By some measures, that is "better".

Not signed by the governor = Bill passes.

If a bill passes both state houses, and Christie DOES NOT sign... it passes by default. Christie HAS TO Veto it... which I don't think he will. Keep in mind.. Christie, by all accounts is ANTI GUN. Only thing on our side is his ambition to run for national office.

Secondly, read the other part I copied from the report.... Where these are not comprehensive suggestions on gun control.

This is only the beginning.

I just finished reading the firearms recommendations. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it it was go to be.

Hopefully the people in Trenton grow a brain and read this with an open mind.