Cemeterys Gun Blob

Gov Christie's Violence Task Force Report is HERE

I guess everyone missed this one

"

Clarify an Applicant’s Duty to Disclose His or Her History of Mental Health/Addictions Evaluation and Treatment

N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3(e) should be amended to provide that an applicant for a firearms purchaser identification card and/or handgun purchase permit must disclose whether he or she has ever been attended, treated, or observed for a mental or psychiatric condition by a psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, or any other licensed mental health care professional, and not only by a physician or psychiatrist. The statute should also be revised to make clear that an applicant must disclose whether he or she has ever been prescribed medication for a mental health or substance abuse condition. "

This means that you have to disclose if you have been on medication for depression, OCD, ADD, stress, etc...

How many of you have been on these types of medications?

NJ DMV does "Non-driver identification cards", too http://www.state.nj....NonDriverID.htm

There are cheaper/more efficient ways to do this than to have a detective punch the keys of a manual typewriter. Of course, there are cheaper/more efficient ways to go through the entire process.

It's hard to believe that the NICS alone doesn't provide more information alone than the original 1966 NJ system did in the first place.

How about this one?

Ensure Appropriate

Punishment for

Criminals Who Maintain an Arsenal

The Legislature should create a new offense or upgrade feature to deal with offenders who

unlawfully possess, useor distribute multiple firearms. The degree of the crime should depend on

the number of firearms that were unlawfully possessed, usedor distributed (, unlawful

possession of at least five but less than10 guns unlawfully possessing more than 10 guns, etc.).

Alternatively, the law might be amended to provide guidance on when a court should impose

consecutive sentences on convictions involving the simultaneous unlawful possession of multiple

firearms.

Who wants to bet they would apply this harsher statute to anyone who has more than 5 guns?

I guess everyone missed this one

"

Clarify an Applicant’s Duty to Disclose His or Her History of Mental Health/Addictions Evaluation and Treatment

N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3(e) should be amended to provide that an applicant for a firearms purchaser identification card and/or handgun purchase permit must disclose whether he or she has ever been attended, treated, or observed for a mental or psychiatric condition by a psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, or any other licensed mental health care professional, and not only by a physician or psychiatrist. The statute should also be revised to make clear that an applicant must disclose whether he or she has ever been prescribed medication for a mental health or substance abuse condition. "

This means that you have to disclose if you have been on medication for depression, OCD, ADD, stress, etc...

Agreed, this sucks, but when I applied for a FID I had taken meds for a short period in high school. I got a note from my current primary care physician saying I was no longer on meds or suffering from depression and that I could handle a firearm. I got my FID in 3 weeks. This is probably the type of thing people will need to do.

I'm an old geezer and I have never been prescribed an antidepressant or even a sleeping pill. (Then again, I'm a pretty happy old geezer!)

While mental illness is to be found in all groups, my suspicion is that fewer of those who have been "prescribed medication for a mental health or substance abuse condition" would be on the conservative, libertarian or 2A side of the spectrum.

http://www.nytimes.c...est-of-all.html

http://pewresearch.o...eWeHappyYet.pdf

http://neuropolitics.org/

http://neuropolitics...efaultoct05.asp

http://neuropolitics...s-Moderates.htm

Sorry but in the last couple of decades they have been prescribing this crap like candy. Whats worse, look how many children are being placed on all sorts of ADD type drugs, they don't even get a choice but now they may never get to own a firearm because mommy's precious tea cup was a bit overly exuberant at 13 so she decided to shop around for a doctor that would medicate her precious so she can have her afternoon bottle of wine and wellbutrin without worrying about the what kid is doing. I know people like that.

I'm an old geezer and I have never been prescribed an antidepressant or even a sleeping pill. (Then again, I'm a pretty happy old geezer!)

While mental illness is to be found in all groups, my suspicion is that fewer of those who have been "prescribed medication for a mental health or substance abuse condition" would be on the conservative, libertarian or 2A side of the spectrum.

I am on OCD medication because i'm a compulsive shopper, the only danger I pose is to my credit card. But this law would most likely disqualify me and others in similar situations.

This is the problem that myself and many others currently have with question 26, This question was added when the form was changed sometime around 2009. having purchased many firearms since seeing a doctor in the late 90's I only noticed this question when I went to do a change of address recently and am now reluctant to do so. This will be another selectively applied rule and depending on who decides on your fate of a card being issued or you becoming a disqualified person will be very bad for us gun owners. also it is going to keep people from seeking any help from any health care professional thus creating more problems than it will prevent.

Born and raised here........as you get older you realize just how frustrating it is livin' here in NJ....it's almost insulting to a semi intelligent individual.....will soon be looking for a new location to enjoy life and rid myself of this oppressive environment.

Really? ..............Cmon........ I am eagerly awaiting the tounge in cheek emoticon....

Unfortunately it's true, I buy crap for no reason. Racked up a 16k credit card bill in the last 2 years. When my wife found out I had only 2 choices, get help or get divorced. I chose the former for obvious reasons.

IMO.....a psychological evaluation should be made a requirement to run for public office....

I was just thinking that.

Also, this should apply to LEOs and retired LEOs with CCW permits.

How sickening is it that these people are telling us how to live our lives......who are the fools here....really ?

I dunno, who keeps voting them into office? Look at it from their point of view, if we are dumb enough to elect them, we clearly need their help and certainly we are to dumb to be trusted with firearms. Only an epidemic of mental disease explains why we elect the NJ legislature.

The potential for seizure of firearms upon arrest has great capacity to be abused, as well as the mental health areas.

For those of you that are sitting back and saying, "Yes, this isn't too bad." You will continue to get what you deserve through the incrementalism of the State in finding new laws to pass against the 2nd Amendment. Christie can only move in the wrong direction with this panel's recommendations.

Like I said time and time again. It's not a buffet dinner. We are served 2 or 3 runners on a plate and expected to vote for the one that we think will do the best job. To me, that is not our fault. It's the problem of people only being allowed to run for officer that has the most money. We are stuck with it... We either vote for what they serve or not at all and hope for the best. People are too complacent to care unfortunately. Hell, I'd still vote for Pat Paulson if he was still alive and that's not saying much.

I dunno, who keeps voting them into office? Look at it from their point of view, if we are dumb enough to elect them, we clearly need their help and certainly we are to dumb to be trusted with firearms. Only an epidemic of mental disease explains why we elect the NJ legislature.

Like I said time and time again. It's not a buffet dinner. We are served 2 or 3 runners on a plate and expected to vote for the one that we think will do the best job. To me, that is not our fault. It's the problem of people only being allowed to run for officer that has the most money. We are stuck with it... We either vote for what they serve or not at all and hope for the best. People are too complacent to care unfortunately. Hell, I'd still vote for Pat Paulson if he was still alive and that's not saying much.

I don't buy it. If we decided to all chip in the coast of a case of ammo to candidates we liked we could make a difference. Instead, we sit back and ****. We could control the tone of primaries for sure.

Not sure you get my point... For instance Joe Blow would be an excellent candidate. Getting him nominated to even be on the roster would be a chore, especially if he's new altogether. If the ones on there already all suck, then what do you plan to do?

I don't buy it. If we decided to all chip in the coast of a case of ammo to candidates we liked we could make a difference. Instead, we sit back and ****. We could control the tone of primaries for sure.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Sorry but in the last couple of decades they have been prescribing this crap like candy. Whats worse, look how many children are being placed on all sorts of ADD type drugs, they don't even get a choice but now they may never get to own a firearm because mommy's precious tea cup was a bit overly exuberant at 13 so she decided to shop around for a doctor that would medicate her precious so she can have her afternoon bottle of wine and wellbutrin without worrying about the what kid is doing. I know people like that.

Or worse, she was told that the kid needed to be medicated or she'd have to start home schooling.

The potential for seizure of firearms upon arrest has great capacity to be abused, as well as the mental health areas.

For those of you that are sitting back and saying, "Yes, this isn't too bad." You will continue to get what you deserve through the incrementalism of the State in finding new laws to pass against the 2nd Amendment. Christie can only move in the wrong direction with this panel's recommendations.

has anyone in here said that any of this is acceptable? it's not too bad considering all of the things we were worried about that didn't make it. Nothing about registering guns. No cap limits. No ban suggestions. No online ammo ban. No one expects anything to come from this but the worst. But it helps us when they left out so much that the antis want. this doesn't mean anything either, this is all a political show for the public.

has anyone in here said that any of this is acceptable? it's not too bad considering all of the things we were worried about that didn't make it. Nothing about registering guns. No cap limits. No ban suggestions. No online ammo ban. No one expects anything to come from this but the worst. But it helps us when they left out so much that the antis want. this doesn't mean anything either, this is all a political show for the public.

My concern is that there is just enough in there that the Assembly could point to the current/proposed Bills and say "Yes, See, we're already doing that".. even if their proposals go Far far further..

+100. Has anyone in this thread said that they like or agree with this report? I don't think so. The point is not that it is bad -- it is. The point is that it could very easily have been worse. We live in an anti-gun state, meaning that a majority of the population has a negative to very negative view of civilian gun ownership. Unless and until that changes a majority of our state politicians will reflect that anti-gun view. We will continue to be at risk of ever more draconian gun laws for the forseeable future. A governor like Christie, while far from perfect on the gun issue, is unfortunately the best we can realistically expect on gun issues. Right now our main hope lies with 1) the courts and 2) organizations like NJ2AS and people like GFH Anthony Colandro who are trying to spread the word and bring new gun owners into the fold.