Parker

New York State Troopers - Hey, our members didn’t pass SAFE

I'm not in anyway advocating violence with that statement.We do have a court system to address an over zealous legislature. Just reinforcing what the founders intended 2 A for. It was meant to keep the citizen in charge and equal to Govt in terms of power and use of force.

Someone I know in Connecticut was talking to a young trooper about the laws. The trooper's response was, "what do I care, I get an exemption."

This is the problem I have with law enforcement exemptions in ANY gun laws. And yes, this includes CCW laws like LEOSA and NJ's right to carry for retired officers. Sure, LEOs have dangers on the job and outside the job where they need to carry firearms. Nobody is saying they shouldn't be able to carry. But so should we, because the 2nd amendment and the right to keep and bear arms is not about need.

I believe if everyone was subjected to the same laws there'd be more incentive to oppose unjust and unconstitutional laws by those charged with enforcing them. BUT the exemptions are there, and apparently they are serving their purpose in keeping one set of people affected by bad laws while others get a pass. So as long as they aren't affected by the laws they have little incentive to oppose them.

"We were just following orders", sounds like that old German excuse. Well law enforcement in liberal states have a real problem, enforce these laws or the constitution that they swore alligence to when they became officers, the deciding factors are usually their pension and benefits.

Someone I know in Connecticut was talking to a young trooper about the laws. The trooper's response was, "what do I care, I get an exemption."

Someone I know who lives in Connecticut and who's best friend is a Mass. state trooper told me that the trooper said "I believe in the 2A and would never infringe on someone's right to keep and bear arms."

Oh to help authenticate the story, the trooper was middle-aged.

The founding fathers knew this was coming and wrote the 2A to allow the people to defend themselves against enemies both foreign and domestic. They would probably be surprised that it took us 250 years to get here. Maybe the 2A is why it did take so long. I hope nobody gets hurt.

Someone I know who lives in Connecticut and who's best friend is a Mass. state trooper told me that the trooper said "I believe in the 2A and would never infringe on someone's right to keep and bear arms."

I could name names but I would rather not call out specific people.

So now every thread about new gun laws turns into how overpaid , have too many benefits, dont know what its like to live as a civilian( because cops were never at any point in their lives a civilian), how they get too many exemptions from law and how they are waiting outside everyones home at this moment (like old German soldiers like many here have implied). Just waiting to prance and take youre guns.... Yeah the SDFKZ halftracks leave the station house every morning on gun clearing missions across america.. I've met some really great people in this forum who have helped immensely in my live of shooting.. But to those who are comparing cops to German soldiers or some Politburo.. Sorry .. You're just being a simple minded jackass

I've heard several unknown officers saying the same thing.

So now every thread about new gun laws turns into how overpaid , have too many benefits, dont know what its like to live as a civilian( because cops were never at any point in their lives a civilian), how they get too many exemptions from law and how they are waiting outside everyones home at this moment (like old German soldiers like many here have implied). Just waiting to prance and take youre guns.... Yeah the SDFKZ halftracks leave the station house every morning on gun clearing missions across america.. I've met some really great people in this forum who have helped immensely in my live of shooting.. But to those who are comparing cops to German soldiers or some Politburo.. Sorry .. You're just being a simple minded jackass

So why did the NYSP come out and essentially say because they didn't pass the law, they will enforce it and not feel guilty about it?

To me it seems like all this talk about how people will stand up to big bad legislators ain't gonna fly because the cops will still lock up people.

So you may as well sit down and eat your shit sandwich because the 2A clearly is being legislated away and as long as the right people get exemptions, the unjust laws will stand.

And stupidly we keep agreeing to these exemptions (not just for LEOs) thinking they are baby steps towards dully recognizing the 2A or thinking that it improves safety.

So why did the NYSP come out and essentially say because they didn't pass the law, they will enforce it and not feel guilty about it?

They said they didn't pass the law. There was nothing stated about not feeling guilty. How many gun buy backs do you think they have in upstate NY? Unless it's in some urban hole probably none. The PBA knows how passionate people up there are about their 2A rights, and they're trying to keep their members safe.

With that said, I'd like to know which state legislators the PBA endorsed. You reap what you sow. Food for thought the next time there is an election.

They said they didn't pass the law. There was nothing stated about not feeling guilty. How many gun buy backs do you think they have in upstate NY? Unless it's in some urban hole probably none. The PBA knows how passionate people up there are about their 2A rights, and they're trying to keep their members safe.

With that said, I'd like to know which state legislators the PBA endorsed. You reap what you sow. Food for thought the next time there is an election.

Tinfoil hat on!

The voting system is an illusion of choice rigged by the people already in power to stay in power.

Tinfoil hat off!

Well said Nick.

As you said, most of us have jobs where we sometimes have to do what's right, whether it could affect our jobs or not.

Being a pilot, I have faced situations over the last 24 years where I had to cancel a flight due to weather or a mechanical problem. In some of those cases I wasn't a very popular person for not flying and "fixing it after the flight". Sorry, sometimes you have to say NO and do what's right and deal with the repercussions.

Same applies to LEO or military following illegal orders and infringing on the "protected" Rights of the Citizens.

Well said Nick.

As you said, most of us have jobs where we sometimes have to do what's right, whether it could affect our jobs or not.

Yes, and some even face the threat of jail time for doing the right thing:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/04/04/foxnewscom-jana-winter-should-be-praised-not-threatened-with-jail-time/

Well said Nick.

Being a pilot, I have faced situations over the last 24 years where I had to cancel a flight due to weather or a mechanical problem. In some of those cases I wasn't a very popular person for not flying and "fixing it after the flight". Sorry, sometimes you have to say NO and do what's right and deal with the repercussions.

Same applies to LEO or military following illegal orders and infringing on the "protected" Rights of the Citizens.

ive been commercially rated for 16 years.. So youre comparing cancelling a flight to a cop not acting.. Last time i checked flight cancellation was not illegal.. As opposed to the cop being charged with official misconduct for not acting.. The unpopular thing to do and the illegal thing to do are two different animals.. Yes it sucks the situation cops are in now..no one want to do anything that will infringe on 2a.. Get caught looking the other way trying to do the right thing and get charged up with off misconduct and leave the wife and kids fatherless and homeless for 10-20 years.. Sounds simple doesnt it?

ive been commercially rated for 16 years.. So youre comparing cancelling a flight to a cop not acting.. Last time i checked flight cancellation was not illegal.. As opposed to the cop being charged with official misconduct for not acting.. The unpopular thing to do and the illegal thing to do are two different animals.. Yes it sucks the situation cops are in now..no one want to do anything that will infringe on 2a.. Get caught looking the other way trying to do the right thing and get charged up with off misconduct and leave the wife and kids fatherless and homeless for 10-20 years.. Sounds simple doesnt it?

At times, yes, comparing standing up for your principals and what is right. I think that is what most people here are doing, not bashing cops.

Unfortunately, sometimes cops do get bashed here. Sometimes warranted for something they've said or done, some times not warranted. Unfortunately we also have some "Obama thin-skinned" cops around here. Can't take ANY criticism at all, even if it isn't directed at them.

Just because cancelling a flight is "not illegal", doesn't mean people haven't lost their jobs or been given shitty assignments or even lost out on bonus for their actions. It does happen. Should we take that it to consideration when deciding to bust a reg or put someone's life in danger?

ive been commercially rated for 16 years.. So youre comparing cancelling a flight to a cop not acting.. Last time i checked flight cancellation was not illegal.. As opposed to the cop being charged with official misconduct for not acting.. The unpopular thing to do and the illegal thing to do are two different animals..

You know what else is illegal? Violating the constitution and individuals rights, yet often times people have no problem doing that. Often times the unpopular thing to do IS the legal thing, so likewise, the popular thing may be the illegal thing.

It is a matter of standing up for what is right. Some people are stronger than others in that respect...

Ok so ask yourselves this.. Say a bunch of cops go out there and refuse to take any action on 2a issues and get charged and convicted.. What are you willing to do for them..or are you just gonna give the " well they took the job so they knew what theyre getting into" line..so now that legislative action has failed as did political rallies and letter writing.. We will simply ask those in uniform to go out and fall on the sword for everyones sake., all the while behind their back calling them henchmen, storm troopers, tools, mouthpieces, servants, government yes men....because you know.. Cops dont have any friends or family that will be affected by the same laws.. As will they someday when service is complete...its just very easy to keep blaming the next person in line

Ok so ask yourselves this.. Say a bunch of cops go out there and refuse to take any action on 2a issues and get charged and convicted.. What are you willing to do for them..

Ok so ask yourselves this...Say a bunch of civilians go out there and lawfully carry in support of the 2a and get charged and convicted.. What are you willing to do for them..

Ok so ask yourselves this.. Say a bunch of cops go out there and refuse to take any action on 2a issues and get charged and convicted.. What are you willing to do for them..or are you just gonna give the " well they took the job so they knew what theyre getting into" line..so now that legislative action has failed as did political rallies and letter writing.. We will simply ask those in uniform to go out and fall on the sword for everyones sake., all the while behind their back calling them henchmen, storm troopers, tools, mouthpieces, servants, government yes men....because you know.. Cops dont have any friends or family that will be affected by the same laws.. As will they someday when service is complete...its just very easy to keep blaming the next person in line

Tough noogies. Plain and simple. That is how life works sometimes in the outside world. I have been fired(laid off) for not complying with a bosses wishes more then once.In my job it was a matter of safety for others. Not every day ends well in the real world.

Thats is what separates the men from the boys.You can cry me a river all you want.Life is tough. And its tougher if you show some balls at times.

Do you really think people will just idly stand by? I think there will be a lot of people contributing to the legal defense fund if such a LEO were to be found in such a situation.

Public employees are mostly Democrats. Police are public employees. New Yorkers are mostly Democrats. The New York Police mostly are New York voters. I am a strong supporter of those NYS Police who voted Republican, . . . both of them.

I hate the 'hazardous job' mentality that get's trotted out. No doubt, something can happen at any time for LE but for the record and according to the dept of labor and statistics 2006 and I'll remind everyone, violent crime has been trending down for about a decade

Public safety mortality rate with some other blue collar, mostly male jobs. The figures below are the number of on-the-job deaths annually per 100,000 workers, by occupation (and note the average for men vs. women):

• Policemen: 16.8
  • Firefighters: 16.6
  • Men: 6.9
  • Women: 0.7
  • Farmers and Ranchers: 37.2
  • Grounds Maintenance Workers: 13.5
  • Fishers and related Fishing Workers: 147.2
  • Construction Laborers: 21.4
  • Roofers: 33.5
  • Structural Iron and Steel Workers: 61
  • Operating Engineers and other Equipment Operators: 18.2
  • Aircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers: 90.4
  • Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors: 40.7
  • Logging: 87.4
  • Mining: 28.1
  • Taxi and limousine drivers: 22.1
  • Truck Transportation: 27.2

Enforcing stupid laws to keep your job will continue to happen. The LEO will have to determine how far he is willing to go.

"Morality"

Judgement to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, and courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.

Also, everyone needs to take a look at themselves and stop pointing fingers at others telling them what they should do. When one tries to get out of a ticket knowing they are guilty; do everything to get out of jury duty, participate in gun buy back programs, not claim use tax on their tax return, etc, we are all guilty of the same thing. Some have higher moral values than others. The tougher the situation, the harder the decision becomes.