maintenanceguy

What can We do to Rally the Troops?

Another thread has me thinking - how can we get 2 million gun owners in NJ to care about the slow erosion of our 2A rights? When 100 people out of 2 million show up in Trenton at a hearing, it doesn't show that we're 2 million strong, it shows that we're 1,999,900 week. So how do we get more people involved and motivated?

Consider the gun climate when your grandparents were kids vs. what it is now. We have lost so much already and we're continuing to loose more every year. If 10% of gun owners stood up and demanded changes, we'd start getting our rights back instead of loosing them. So how do we rally the troops?

A post of mine and a reply by Maximus from earlier today has this dilemma stuck in my head. Both posts can be found here and here

I've re-posted them below:

Why is everyone so eager to compromise? Why are we happy that "it's not as bad as it could be?". We're thankful that they're only taking a little bit more?

We need to stop accepting losing and start thinking like we can win. We will never get any of our rights back as long as we're divided and we are divided! A very few think the 2A says that our rights can't be infringed. The majority seem to believe that we should be happy that our rights aren't denied.

Small losses are still losses and they add up. Stop being happy with small losses. We should be united and demand that we start getting some of our rights back instead of being thankful that we're losing them slowly instead of quickly.

Nobody knows how may homes in NJ have guns but it's probably around 2 million. If half of those would stand united, we'd have a different state in a year. If 1 million people wrote a letter demanding the right to carry, if 1 million people called Trenton and demanded the "assault weapons ban" be repealed, if 1 million people showed up in Trenton on a Monday morning and vowed to be back every Monday until the redundant back ground checks were eliminated - it would happen!

Every time 100 people show up, we're screwed!

Agree 100%.

I've been to Trenton, locally at rep's offices, sent letters etc. Where are the other 999,000 other gun owners? Is it that the majority just figures the rest will carry the load? With all the media coverage you would think that many (900k +) citizens of this state would wake the hell up. Maintenance guy is right. How do we get more people involved? I have tried by talking to those on the fence and even talking to existing gun owners. At times it seems in vain. I've managed one convert but talk till I'm blue in the face when it comes to getting others to write, call or take an active part. We can't give any ground. We need more support than a few hundred at a rally in the state Capitol.

I've found that the vast majority of gun owners don't even have a clue what's going on.

I think a first step is a "chain letter" type education campaign. I've told everyone who will listen and asked them to pass on the word to at least two of their friends.

+10000000, I have been talking to and informing gun owners everywhere what is going on. Most of them had no clue or do not care. I managed to get some involved however.

I've been saying it constantly. You have so many different groups of gun owners: Hunters, Enthusiast, Marksmen, Competitors and Mall Ninjas. The Hunters don't care about the ARs. The Mall Ninjas don't care about the .50 cal ban. Only the Marksmen and competitors care about the powder. The older crowd thinks there is no need for semi autos b/c they grew up with levers, bolts and revolvers. If there was going to be an outright ban then maybe you can get half the FID holders to care, until then, There is only one group on the otherside.

To make any kind of impact would take an incredible amount of footwork...which would include, but not limited to;

1) dropping off flyers in each and every gun shop, and gun range in NJ

2) going to public ranges and handing out flyers

3) making somewhat of a presence at private ranges, like maybe putting up flyers on various message boards.

4) going each weekend to each gun club, and speaking during the shooters meetings at the various competitions. I've seen them do this in PA, only lasts a few minutes, but you'd be surprised how much out reach you get with face time.

Not to bash, but one huge disappointment was that a friend and I asked for 15 minutes at a meeting of the organization that represents Somerset hunting clubs. We were told the executive board didn't think it was a good idea.

Also, I know the NJOA is very careful about not displaying any pro-2A sentiment. This might be a good thing, because if they did, politicians would run from them like the plague, whereas now, they do have some influence.

We can be our own worst enemy.

Not to bash, but one huge disappointment was that a friend and I asked for 15 minutes at a meeting of the organization that represents Somerset hunting clubs. We were told the executive board didn't think it was a good idea.

Also, I know the NJOA is very careful about not displaying any pro-2A sentiment. This might be a good thing, because if they did, politicians would run from them like the plague, whereas now, they do have some influence.

What do you expect from FUDDs?

I know what I'm getting every one of my gun owner friends for Christmas: a membership to NJ2AS. Once they get on the mailing list, it will keep them automatically apprised of developments.

BTW, this isn't a huge act of generosity. I don't have that many gun owner friends.

Excellent idea. Good way to get more information to more people. Maybe NJ2AS could offer a "gift pack" membership of 5 or 6 memberships at a discount to current members.

1. Get more women involved. In Oklahoma there is a women only gun training group that started. The story made national headlines.

2. How much does it cost to draft a pro firearms bill? Some here are lawyers, they can help with legalities or legal logistics. The other side seems to draft numerous anti-gun legislation. Why can the pro-gun side write and draft numerous pro-gun legislation.

3.How about someone from njgunforums running for office?

1. Get more women involved.................................

3.How about someone from njgunforums running for office?

They are: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/53272-donations-needed-for-pro-2a-candidate/page__fromsearch__1

But they need your support.

What about pro-gun press releases to other pro-gun groups, conservative type of radio shows, conservative news outlets and even rt (russia today). (rt seems to carry stories that other outlets don't pick up on).

I mentioned women only firearms training. Have press releases of what the group is doing, when they meet , how to join. have a press release every couple of months or if there is a special meeting or event.

How would press releases be handled? Some here might have connections to media.

Coordinate with another NJ oriented pro-gun groups and organizations and brainstorm and pool resources to create and release press releases. Do followups and have spokespersons where the media can contact them about the story or stories. Target the press releases with specific information. For instance the all women firearms training information and press releases would focus entirely on that alone.

Other subjects like the conceal carry movement press releases would focus entirely on that subject alone alone. Firearm Laws reforms and modernization press releases would focus on that alone. Each press release would specifically discuss one subject at a time. This way everything is focused, short and yet informative. A one paragraph press release about how someone legally defended their business or property in NJ with a firearm can go a long way in putting firearms and self defense in a positive light.

The NJOA wants little to do with advocating gun rights. I've discussed this with Anthony and he feels it would jeopardize what they are trying to achieve. That might be a polite way of saying they don't want to be associated with gun nuts, I dunno. The NJOA's assistance would help since they have a good following.

Just remember, Chris Christie is the outdoorsman's friend.

NJOAROOR_zpscdee27c0.jpg

What counterparts are there for Bryan Miller and the Ceasefire group?

Is his voice and group louder than ours?

If so, why?

What press releases have we done to counteract their press releases?

Why can't someone start a website soley dedicated to picking apart their claims?

What counterparts are there for Bryan Miller and the Ceasefire group?

Is his voice and group louder than ours?

If so, why?

What press releases have we done to counteract their press releases?

Why can't someone start a website soley dedicated to picking apart their claims?

Bryan Miller has the support of the NJ Legislature, and the NJ/Philly media.

Another thread has me thinking - how can we get 2 million gun owners in NJ to care about the slow erosion of our 2A rights? When 100 people out of 2 million show up in Trenton at a hearing, it doesn't show that we're 2 million strong, it shows that we're 1,999,900 week. So how do we get more people involved and motivated?

Consider the gun climate when your grandparents were kids vs. what it is now. We have lost so much already and we're continuing to loose more every year. If 10% of gun owners stood up and demanded changes, we'd start getting our rights back instead of loosing them. So how do we rally the troops?

A post of mine and a reply by Maximus from earlier today has this dilemma stuck in my head. Both posts can be found here and here

I've re-posted them below:

I think the problem is that people in the outdoor category tend to only look at what affects them directly. I am constantly explaining the "divide and conquer" and "slippery slope" argument to forge broader unity among my hunter only, fisherman only and gun only enthusiast friends. Using examples such as how the media views any in these categories as "cavemen" and "why do you need to do that" etc., it widens there perspective, as they see we have more in common than not. It takes work, but i find it is successful. This needs to be done on a bigger scale, perhaps on social media sites.

"2 million gun owners" in New Jersey? I find that number hard to believe. The state of N.J. has the second lowest percentage of gun owners (roughly 12%) in the nation. The lowest is Hawaii.

"2 million gun owners" in New Jersey? I find that number hard to believe. The state of N.J. has the second lowest percentage of gun owners (roughly 12%) in the nation. The lowest is Hawaii.

The only stats I had were from here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/health/interactives/guns/ownership.html

Where did the 12% figure come from?

The only stats I had were from here: http://www.washingto.../ownership.html

Where did the 12% figure come from?

Do a Google search for; "Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "Prevalence of Household Firearms and Firearm-Storage Practices in the 50 States and the District of Columbia: Findings From the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2002" and this is one analysis based on a survey they conducted.

here:

http://www.gunsandam...owners-in-2013/

another -

There is a post on the 'net under something like, "NICS checks per 100,000 residents by state." In that survey, from Sept. 2010 to Feb. 2012, NJ ranks almost the lowest in NICS checks per 100,000 residents. (You could always go to the FBI NICS database and verify this number.)

This is only a small indication of what the anti gun people do. I am sure that BlueWaveNJ will be getting people to Trenton next week. I hope a lot of our members will be showing up.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/132/446/684/nj-state-senators-ban-hight-capacity-ammunitions-in-gun-control-legislation/

There is a post on the 'net under something like, "NICS checks per 100,000 residents by state." In that survey, from Sept. 2010 to Feb. 2012, NJ ranks almost the lowest in NICS checks per 100,000 residents. (You could always go to the FBI NICS database and verify this number.)

NICS checks may not be the most accurate. Perhaps some NJ gun owners buy long guns, bb guns or black powder guns in other states. Especially if the other surrounding states have less NICS fees or no fees at all. In the case of Delaware, it would pay for NJ residents to drive there to buy long guns from that state as they have no NICS cost or sales tax. Even with the cost of gas and tolls, they would still be saving money.

http://www.ar15.com/...8&f=50&t=492137

"Not only does Delaware NOT charge for its NICS check, there's NO SALES TAX

So the price on the tag is your price out the door!

(Long guns only, I'm afraid)"

My state (KY) was often mentioned as having the highest amount of NICS checks which is really skewed because the KY State Police does MONTHLY NICS checks on every KY resident with KY conceal carry permits. (Not many Kentuckians are aware of this).

NICS checks may not be the most accurate. Perhaps some NJ gun owners buy long guns, bb guns or black powder guns in other states. Especially if the other surrounding states have less NICS fees or no fees at all. In the case of Delaware, it would pay for NJ residents to drive there to buy long guns from that state as they have no NICS cost or sales tax. Even with the cost of gas and tolls, they would still be saving money.

http://www.ar15.com/...8&f=50&t=492137

"Not only does Delaware NOT charge for its NICS check, there's NO SALES TAX

So the price on the tag is your price out the door!

(Long guns only, I'm afraid)"

My state (KY) was often mentioned as having the highest amount of NICS checks which is really skewed because the KY State Police does MONTHLY NICS checks on every KY resident with KY conceal carry permits. (Not many Kentuckians are aware of this).

Yes, some of those numbers can be misinterpreted by how the reporting is done. That monthly NICS check can skew things a bit.

I'm on the N.Y. border, with nine gunshops within a 30 minute drive of my home where I can purchase a firearm in New York, and their NICS check was free last time I checked (provided it cleared.) I don't know what's changed with their SAFE Act on their NICS, but I believe it's still free. I'm sure some people do buy longarms in New York. Because there are 900,000 people living in my county, there are very few places to shoot around here. Yet some towns in my area have seen as many as 60 firearm purchase permit/pistol permit application requests per month in the last six months. The normal amount used to be around 10/month.