RecessedFilter

Getting back into mtn biking...advice on a bike?

Ok so I used to mountain bike and ride bmx when I was younger and got out of it in high school. It's been some years but I really miss it so I plan on getting a mountain bike in the next couple weeks.

I'm kind of at a roadblock here as I really only have two options, and I'm not working with like a thousand bucks or anything. The first is buy a brand new lower-end bike from a local shop - I can support a mom and pop shop, get a warranty, know that the bike shop will back their bike, and have peace of mind that I have a brand new bike. The second option is buy a used bike - I can find some higher end models that are lightly ridden for a bit cheaper than the brand new ones I am looking at.

Any advice? I'm kind of leaning towards used since I can get a better bike which will have some upgraded parts and still get it for a decent price.

I have yet to buy a new mountain bike. I think for the price, you can get a used bike in very good shape for a lot cheaper than a new lower end model.

I've always liked Giant's, but recently rode a Trek and it rode very well.

I went to the local shop and saw mtn bikes that ranged from 500 bucks up to and beyond $3k, I couldn't believe it!

But yeah, from the used ones I've seen around it looks like they are either heavily used or guys buy one and ride it for 2 months then it takes up space in their garage and they sell it.

The new ones I was looking at were in the lower end price range of $500-600 as I don't need something super fancy but I can find used ones that were $1k brand new and they are now asking more than half off.

As an ex-bike shop employee, I would say a lot depends on you, your body type, and the type of riding you are looking to do. If you are looking at general trail riding, get yourself a lightly used XC bike with good components. Aluminum if you are normally sized and carbon fibre if you on the lighter side. If you are looking for a DH style bike, get a great frame and the components can be of the lesser side as they're gonna get smacked off the bike at some point anyway.

For me, if you know what you're looking at and for, used is always the best bet. If you are overwhelmed by what is out there you might do better to get a new bike from a knowledgeable person. A good shop rat will also be able to objectively help you with the fit of the bike.

Good luck.

C

Topher gave great advice... I will admit to getting great deal on craigslist. I love broke indulged college students. I picked the wife up a felt last yr for half price... A GF for a steal and a nice trek for my 12yo.

As an ex-bike shop employee, I would say a lot depends on you, your body type, and the type of riding you are looking to do. If you are looking at general trail riding, get yourself a lightly used XC bike with good components. Aluminum if you are normally sized and carbon fibre if you on the lighter side. If you are looking for a DH style bike, get a great frame and the components can be of the lesser side as they're gonna get smacked off the bike at some point anyway.

For me, if you know what you're looking at and for, used is always the best bet. If you are overwhelmed by what is out there you might do better to get a new bike from a knowledgeable person. A good shop rat will also be able to objectively help you with the fit of the bike.

Good luck.

C

This^^^^

It also depends on where you're riding. North Jersey has some awesome mounting biking areas. Most of the area up by me is rocky. I ride Ramapo State Park, Ringwood, West Milford and Stokes area. An "all mountain" style bike is really better in these area's for a heavier person. There are some killer trails up here. 6 Mile State Park is flatter, no rocks, so you can use an XC bike. Get a used bike in good condition with good components. I would lean towards an aluminum frame, decent 4"-5" fork, with a decent Shimano gear and brake set. Mountain biking is awesome!

Since you're already familiar with the whole "forum thing" check out www.mtbnj.com lots of good info

I like the used bike route, they're plentiful on Craigslist, although some prices are a little absurd. MTBNJ has a used market although those tend to be pretty high end bikes. Keep in mind a used one will probably not fit you exactly right.

Something like http://www.competiti...ALCULATOR_INTRO is a starter but a shop will do it for you and probably better, I got a few strange numbers for myself out of that one.

I think some shops (most shops?) charge to measure you but if you buy from them they'll credit your purchase.

For the trail riding, an XC would be fine, I use an XC for an all-around bike and it works fine. If you get a single speed rigid it will be even cheaper.

If you get a freeride it will be heavier or more expensive or both, plus the suspension is a waste of energy unless you can lock them out.

Is there a rule of thumb as to what size to get? Ill be going a lot of trail riding so would a XC bike be better for me?

You the top tube should be snugly against your junk if you stand over it...but you should be able to stand over it. That's the way I've always seen one sized.

If you're not going to be doing "serious" mountain biking...a Cross bike may be better suited....or you can throw cross tires on a MTB....but normal MTB tires are killer on hard top.

I was told on mountain biking that the top top should be around an 1" under you so when you pick up the bike the front tire should be around 3" off the ground. this give enough clearance to get off in a hurry in uneven terran without smashing your underside but still big enough to get a good fit for your legs and body lenght. But really if you have ridden before you just need to get out and try a few in the shops then search craigslist to find the right bike for the right price. The best thing about used though is you watch for deals you can buy a bike use it for a while see what you like or do not like then sell it for the same amout or slightly less and try something else.

2 years ago I went though 3 bikes with my son between him growing and learning. All 3 were bought from craigslist and the first 2 I sold for more then I paid so the one he ended up keeping I barely had much more in it then the cheapest one we started with. Always buy name brand bike store bike they are sooo much better in the long run.

i ended up getting a new giant talon 0, from Halters in Brunswick right on rt 1.

I think i paid @ $1000 OTD. The guys are great thewre and will answer any questions you may have.

I have somewhere @ 1k miles on it now, i ride the towpath along canal and 6 mile run.

Best bang for the buck is buy someones used mountain bike as a base and modify the parts to what your looking for once you know what you need in your ride. I prefer TREK personally, just make sure there is no frame damage. You can get what would normally retail at 800+ bike for about 300-400 on ebay. The used bike market is horrible in resale because the models evolve quicker then cars, my trek 4900 I bought back in 2006 was $650 new it was worth about $200 two years later. So for me I kept my frame and changed out all my components for around $600 and now the bike is my dream bike pretty much,a bike of similar performance new would be well over $1800.

I went to Marty's in morristown 2 years ago and got a specialized Hard Rock, 2010 left over. Got a good price, they were very nice, and they give a free yearly tune up for the life of the bike. They have other store including Hacketstown.

Specialized is a decent bike, have a good selection for caring price ranges. Marty's was very helpful and had lots of selection including used bikes

http://martysreliable.com/