anactivegrenade

Discrete, non-menacing EDC?

Hey guys. I wanna get a cheap EDC knife. I don't need it for any heavy use, just opening packages and cutting the odd object. It'd be a last-resort defensive tool, too, but that's not the main concern.

I'm thinking getting a non-spring-assisted flipper would be an alright choice, since it seems a bit more basic and less "menacing" to the popo, God forbid I ever get asked "do you have any weapons on you?" Of course, I know the approach to this scenario is to be honest if I have to tell them I have a knife and let them know it's for utility/work/vehicle-emergency purposes. I still would guess that the less-menacing looking knife would help in this situation, though.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the Kershaw Chill? http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002IVHQ5Q

It's Chinese, however Kershaw's economy-knives have had quite the solid reputation these past few years.

Thin, 3.125-inch blade, manual flipper, G-10 handles.

I have a habit of losing my knives but I rotate between two Kershaw flipper blades and am quite satisfied with the performance and workmanship, plus at about $15.00 each I'm not devastaed when I lose one.

Anything from.Kershaw, spyderco, even 5.11 tactical will provide you with a good enough knife. I wouldn't spend more thna 40 bucks if I were you since your not really using it that much but its all up to to you.

Lapolicegear carries a few 5.11 tactical knives that have a 1.5-2in blade. They are minifolders but would.work well for you..and they're only like 20 25 bucks. I'm happy with mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004SGPLB0

Kershaw tremor. Big blade for you but I've gone th rough about 2 or 3 of them and i absolutely love them. I use a knife all day for a trade job and its awesome. Plus its got the nice index finger flipper. Super fast action.

Check out the Kershaw Leek. Pretty plain Jane knife... It does have a sort of tab flip open.

Came here to post this. Depending on what I am going to be doing any particular day I either have a leek or a scallion in my pocket. They are cheap, hold an edge, and are very thin so you don't even feel it in your pocket. I carry mine in the change pocket of my Levi's and it fits perfect.

Anything from.Kershaw, spyderco, even 5.11 tactical will provide you with a good enough knife. I wouldn't spend more thna 40 bucks if I were you since your not really using it that much but its all up to to you.

I heard the 5.11 knives were not that good from a few people who bought them, blades were dull out of the box.

I rotate between these 3 knives for EDC the first two are cheap and reliable. The SOG knife if more expensive but a great knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Force-TF-640FD-Assisted-Opening-4-5-Inch/dp/B005W5B0LQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1366856649&sr=1-2&keywords=tac-force+knife

Maybe assisted opening but its a "rescue knife" since it the seatbelt cutter and window punch.

http://www.galls.com/cgi/CGBCSTYL?PMSTYL=KN452

Lightweight and blends in easily with jeans and dark shorts.

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-TFSA-98-Serrated/dp/B000BSZDRQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366856563&sr=8-2&keywords=sog+flash+2

Has cut through a lot of things, and whittled with it a little and it still cuts the brand new, I even pried open a window with it. Added benefit of a safety so it won't open unexpectedly on you.

For non-threatening knives, consider the Spyderco or Byrd Rescue models. These have sheepsfoot blades, so they have a flat blade profile with the spine that curves down to the blade. These are used for safely cutting a patient's clothing with little risk of hurting the patient. There are two Rescue models - the Rescue 79, and Rescue 93, referring to blade length in mm. There are also a few models of the Spyderco Salt series with the sheepsfoot blade. A Spyderco Assist has NO pointy tip, so hard to argue it's much of a weapon.

For smaller knives that aren't threatening, also look into the Spyderco Ladybug, Manbug, Jester, Dragonfly, Rookie, Delica, and Native. I've handed a cop a Ladybug knife when he needed to get into a bunch of boxes during an event I was covering...was not an issue...

Also totally non-threatening, there are a few Leatherman tools that are worth looking at, like the Super Tool.

Cheap knives have cheap steel...so be aware of cheap knives...if it doesn't list the blade steel....I'd be a little worried. I'd much rather have a AUS-6, AUS-8, 8Cr13MoV, VG10, CPMS30V, ATS-34, ATS-55, N690Co, or H1 blade steel over almost any 400 series stainless steels for a general use knife. The first three steels I listed here are available in knives under $30-35. The rest are available in knives around $45-60. Some companies have $50+ knives that still have crap steel...

I'm on my second leek.

I had my first one for a little under two months until I lost it, and I was devastated. Mostly because it was MY Kershaw and I took damn good care of it. It was the rainbow one. Sandvik 14c28N steel iirc.

Now I'm on my second, an S30V with G10 handles. The thing is a tank. The edge retention is awesome.

I would go with the leek or any of the smaller Onion knives.

For $30 on ebay, you can get an American made knife with an outstanding warranty and quality. Go for the leek. You're not going to get the 'bang for the buck' of the Leek anywhere else.

The Kershaw Scallion is really nice, super sharp out of the box and isn't heavy on the wallet. And is a nice compact knife for people who don't want a large blade.

To clarify, the small 5.11tactical blades I suggested don't come that sharp out of the box but the two that I had sharpened up fine. Yes, the blade isn't as nice hence not as sharp as a Kershaw, Spyderco, etc, but it gets the job done for boxes and such. Any more serious tasks and I wouldn't bring it along, but since the OP is just using it for boxes and small little tasks, it would be fine for that.

002_zpsd8b7bb2a.jpg

These are my inexpensive but effective EDC knives.

Top is the 1970 burst with a matte blade and black low profile clip.

middle is the 1830 OSO sweet with a stainless clip.

bottom is the Gerber skeleton blade that is always in my back pack even when I fly.

None of them cost me more than $15.00,so if lost or broken,it's no great loss and easily replaced.

Get a few cheap knives. Then figure out if you "really" like knives or not. If cheap floats your boat keep spending your money on ammo & guns. Or you can take the red pill & visit the usual suspect forum.

Also consider a multitool, Leatherman Wave is what I carry around. It isn't a defensive knife but that wasn't what you asked for and it can still stab things if it comes to it.

I get a lot more use out of my multitool then I would get out of a knife alone, and I can't be bothered to carry both anymore.