alec.mc

Ever wonder what happens when 100 primers go boom in your press?

you already de-prime before cleaning -- hand priming isn't that unreasonable

as you know -- I prefer it

Jer, not interested in that ... at all..

During the shooting season, I probably shoot 800-1000 rounds a month between matches and practice alone. I'd have to spend every free moment hand priming ammo. No thanks.

Dude WTF!! Glad you're ok. How fast are you cranking away when this happens? When i'm using my Dillon with Federals I always slow down a little vs doing 9mm with CCI. I've caught a couple pieces of small primer brass, or maybe a crimp just by it not feeling right. Usually a little crunch, then I stop. Yes it takes me longer to load .45, but it's still faster than hand priming.

Dude WTF!! Glad you're ok. How fast are you cranking away when this happens? When i'm using my Dillon with Federals I always slow down a little vs doing 9mm with CCI. I've caught a couple pieces of small primer brass, or maybe a crimp just by it not feeling right. Usually a little crunch, then I stop. Yes it takes me longer to load .45, but it's still faster than hand priming.

This.

When I load 9mm pro loads with federals, I slow it down when priming. I like to "ease" it in. So far I have had no issues, slightest resistance and I pull the case.

Lee presses specifically say federal primers are not compatible with their auto prime system. Maybe Dillon should consider the same warning. I use CCI almost exclusively, hand prime and a single stage rock chucker. I started a thread about getting a Dillon 650 but this may have put that to rest.

I'm glad you're ok twice.

Yes. Federal Large Pistol Primers

No, the 1050 doesn't have have the primer detonation issue because the primer tube is far away from the primer seating area. There is a 2" rectangular steel plate that picks up the primer from the tube then moves it the priming station.

you want to borrow my hand primer and try it?

it really isn't that bad and you aren't tied to a press -- you can prime anywhere

I would try a RCBS hand priming tool.  It's extremely fast.  It seats a primer as fast as you can squeeze the handle and you can load it with 100 primers at a time.  I can prime about 20 cases in a minute.

Well... as much as I like dillon, I've got to bump this thread.

It's happened again , and i'm getting sick of this.

Looks like it was a primer that went in a little sidewise/cockeyed somehow,or the primer pocket was deformed?.... ignited, and lit the entire tube off.... This time, it was probably only 60-70 primers, but regardless.

Was wearing short sleeves this time, so my arm is burning a little bit - but nothing visable to show besides a few specs here and there.

.... Does the 1050 have this issue ?

12199297136_ea300da74b_h.jpg12199294746_41489e2254_h.jpg12199299016_5cb2963494_h.jpg12198680105_4a2fee22b1_h.jpg

Lol some people never learn!

And it's spelled *Soldier*

with all due respect, it sounds to me like operator error. 

with all due respect, it sounds to me like operator error. 

Possibly, -- But doubt it. I was cruising along as normal, went to seat the primer, it felt a little rough going in - and before I could react and stop it was too late.

I've probably loaded 20-25k rounds on this machine.

Like I said in another thread, take any press - single stage, progressive, whatever brand, hand primer into google followed by " primer detonation " and i'm sure you'll get some hits. It's no secret with the dillon 650 and federal primers that it does happen, plenty of users over on enos forums have experienced the same thing.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188975

quote name="Krdshrk" post="835647" timestamp="1390966859"]Time to go Hornady LnL? :D

Yes because the only thing better than setting off your primers is setting off the primers and powder.

Wow, good point Steve.

I will say this, The way Dillon has designed everything makes the possible primer detonation as safe as you could hope for... No flames / sparks would go toward the powder holder, the outer magazine tube is super thick, and the inner magazine tube is thin enough and has enough hollow space inside the outer tube to expand. 

quote name="Krdshrk" post="835647" timestamp="1390966859"]Time to go Hornady LnL? :D

Yes because the only thing better than setting off your primers is setting off the primers and powder.

That krdshark kid has no idea what he's talking about lol

Wow.  Never saw that before with the LnL...

That krdshark kid has no idea what he's talking about lol

You wanna keep this up?  First personal attacks (calling me Muslim because I look like a Taliban), now this?  Keep it up and you'll take a nice vacation....

Damn not again..

Glad youre OK, again.  Hope you don't make this a regular thing.  Too many "booms" in the house and your wife wont let you play inside any more.

Eyeballing a Super 1050.....mmmm, from what I can tell, the priming system is better, It shuffles 1 primer at a time from the magazine tube to the priming station , about 2 inches apart.

the 650, as we know - shuffles a half dozen or so on the round disc an 1/8" apart from each other

Big $$ that 1050 is..

But you will really crank it out with that machine.  More of a commercial press, you could load like 1000 rounds an hour with that thing.

No kidding, and the caliber switch with tool head/dies/cal conv costs just about as much as a XL650.

But it's supposed to be the cats meow, Swages primer pockets, you can set primer depth, extra station for a bullet feeder ( yeh buddy! ) easier on the handle.

I reload using a Hornady LNL and I have my belling die in between my priming station and my powder drop stages. I don't believe it's a good idea to have the powder drop right next to your primers in any progressive reloader.

Glad you're okay, Alec.

That 650 of yours can sure take a beating. ;)

That one is scary --  I think I'll be throwing up some sheetrock over my presses -- 

The question still remains --  How do you put out a powder hopper fire?  

It may be an irrelevant question because you may not have any time --  It'll just burn out quick -- by the time you have the fire suppression in your hand it will be over, at least the powder burning part

Lee presses specifically say federal primers are not compatible with their auto prime system. Maybe Dillon should consider the same warning. I use CCI almost exclusively, hand prime and a single stage rock chucker. I started a thread about getting a Dillon 650 but this may have put that to rest.

I'm glad you're ok twice.

Don't let this stop you -- Alec is a special case -- every time I've read about this happening there has been 1 common factor -- Federal primers

You can still hand prime -- I honestly can't get used to the priming motion on the press --  That's just me,  I spent a LONG time priming with a hand primer that it feels strange for me to prime any other way

You also are used to touching every piece of brass -- You won't outgrow that with a progressive press -- Hand priming lets you inspect every piece of brass and be sure the primer is seated correctly

Another issue that drove me crazy was not knowing -- not knowing if the primer was right till I had a loaded round -- I found myself pulling out the brass after the primer seating stage -- what a terrible waste of time that was

It just make me feel better to pull the de-capping pin from my sizing dies and feed primed brass into the press -- no reason you couldn't do the same -- The progressive is worth it 

That one is scary --  I think I'll be throwing up some sheetrock over my presses -- 

The question still remains --  How do you put out a powder hopper fire?  

It may be an irrelevant question because you may not have any time --  It'll just burn out quick -- by the time you have the fire suppression in your hand it will be over, at least the powder burning part

I think in that thread somebody mentioned a water extinguisher over an A-B-C extinguisher.

I think in that thread somebody mentioned a water extinguisher over an A-B-C extinguisher.

I would definitely think water over chem --  Wet powder doesn't burn --  Will you have time to deploy it? --

Will the water actually reach the unburned powder at the bottom of a flaming powder hopper?

Don't let this stop you -- Alec is a special case -- every time I've read about this happening there has been 1 common factor -- Federal primers

You can still hand prime -- I honestly can't get used to the priming motion on the press --  That's just me,  I spent a LONG time priming with a hand primer that it feels strange for me to prime any other way

You also are used to touching every piece of brass -- You won't outgrow that with a progressive press -- Hand priming lets you inspect every piece of brass and be sure the primer is seated correctly

Another issue that drove me crazy was not knowing -- not knowing if the primer was right till I had a loaded round -- I found myself pulling out the brass after the primer seating stage -- what a terrible waste of time that was

It just make me feel better to pull the de-capping pin from my sizing dies and feed primed brass into the press -- no reason you couldn't do the same -- The progressive is worth it 

Truer words have never been spoken. :haha:

When that thread said water and plenty of it, they are correct.  Do not use a ABC  or CO2 extinguisher. It will scatter everything all over the place.  "x" type sheetrock over the press, same as what's over your heating system.

The more nitro in the formula the hotter the flame. 

Been using Winnie primers, any chance they would work?

When that thread said water and plenty of it, they are correct.  Do not use a ABC  or CO2 extinguisher. It will scatter everything all over the place.  "x" type sheetrock over the press, same as what's over your heating system.

The more nitro in the formula the hotter the flame. 

Been using Winnie primers, any chance they would work?

Winchester primers are harder than Federal, but softer than CCI IIRC.

Not sure if it would work for Alec though.  He tweaks his reloads out to the max so probably not :D