Luso

returning a used gun purchase

Do stores permit returns of used gun purchases?

i imagine it varies store to store. I don't want to mention the name of the FFL, but I bought a used firearm and just go to the range about 2 weeks after the purchase to try it out (due to there being NO ammo for it)

Gun absolutely fails to feed every single time. I am lucky if one round goes off. If it does, the next round absolutely does not feed

Are most FFLs reasonable with returns? Or are typically used gun sales final? I can't imagine that being the case- there is no way to test fire a gun at the store

As far as returning it for a full refund I highly doubt it, what type of gun is it, what kind of ammo are you using and explain what you mean by

failing to feed.

Is the spent casing ejecting and the next wont go in?

Will it fire the found but not cycle?

Have you removed the magazine completely and loaded 1 round in the chamer at a time and tried to fire each round like that?

Lots of factors here.

I am taking it to the FFL to discuss with them and see what they can do. Even if it means getting store credit or something.

When I say fail to feed, i mean if you load a mag, pop it in the well with the slide open, and then release the slide, it will not feed the round into the chamber. And the trigger stays pulled all the way back. Even if I tamper with the slide so that I force the round in myself, and then fire, the next round will not be chambered by the blowback. It basically will only chamber if you feed the chamber manually, or once and a while, the slide will catch the round strongly enough to push it in. It's an old PPK/S

when it does fire, yes, the spent casing does eject properly. but the next round won't feed.

What type of pistol is it and what caliber?

Its very possible that the Mag is not seated correctly and the relese button is not doing it's job, I have seen it

happen on a HI Power I was working on for someone.

They are a standard blow back designe typically pretty simple, when you fire the pistol with just one in the chamber and no mag does the

slide stop lock back and engage correctly? What year is the pistol and is it a Walther or a clone?

Here's a few fairly easy things I would do in this order before bringing it back or paying somone to look at it.

Chances are one of these is your issue.

Try loading only 2-4 rounds in the mag and then fire, if they all feed then you know the issue is the magazines.

Clean the hell out of the pistol if you already have not and make sure to scrub the hell out of the chamber and feed ramp with a bronze brush then reinspect in good lighting look for anything that should not be there uncommon, uneven wear, surfaces or

obstruction.

If you did not already try a new brand of higher end FMJ American ammunition, no hollow points no really cheap stuff. I dont recall you saying what you were using when all of this happened but since it was scarce until you got this it maybe some bad stuff.

Remove and clean the extractor and make sure it's not overly worn and when reinstalled moves freely.

Disassemble magazines completely so that they can be fully cleaned inspect followers and springs. Are they after market or origionals?

The PPK/s should have the chamber indicator on it, if it does take a look see at that if they are not seated correctly or seized up it will cause feeding issues.

Make sure that it's properly lubed and oiled PPK-s models are prone to james they require a heavy recoil spring and a lot of lube for them to cycle well.

Hollow points DO NOT work well in older .380's make sure the barrel ramp does not look way off, too many people try and change the jump/angle of it so they can feed HP ammo and ruin them. PPk'S tend to be ammo picky and a lot of the time the magazines are the issue. Changing out the springs is the last thing I would do espically if it's a newer model and does not have a high round count. A lot of failures wether feeding or ejection is due to a few simple things, the ejectors, ramps, magizines, ammo or springs. PPK's are great pistols I wouldnt run it right back to the shope and take a loss until I did the above 1st. Youtube is your best friend if you need guience on how to fully disasseble the slide completely.

Well now we know why it was back in a shops case for sale, Good luck and keep me posted, feel free to pm me if you like.

I was hesitant to buy a previously owned weapon, what if something was wrong. As someone fairly new to guns I was not sure what to really look for to make sure I was not being taken. Mike at RTSP was wonderful, he showed me all the features of the weapon which really made me confident in it. Then Brad told me that he would stand behind it. The first time I went out with it I had a bunch of problems, but true to his word Brad had his gunsmith (Tom) take a look at it. He tried a few things and then called the manufacturer. They sent him parts to replace the extractor which he did at no cost to me. The gun was working better, but I was having some feed issues. Tom then decided to polish the feed ramp, which helped a lot but there were still some issues with one of the mags. We looked at it and made a slight modification and now the weapon performs flawlessly. I guess the moral of the story is that when you buy something you never really know how it will work till you use it, which is why you want to buy from an outfit that you have confidence in that will stand behind what they sell and work with you. Hopefully the outfit you purchased from will work with you the same way that RTSP did for me.

It's goot to know they stand behind their items and service, just remember this happenes to brand new weapons all the time right out of the

box, extractors only need to be off 1 thousands of an inch or less to cause an issue. Positive engagement is always a must.

I did clean it completely when I brought it home. It did the same nonsense whether there was 3 rounds in it or 8. For what it's worth it was American ammo , FMJ (not reloads).

Was not bought at rtsp. My fear is in this environment where no gun store is hurting for business, this shop is possibly going to tell me they don't care and it's my problem, call the manufacturer. Which would be rough, considering they take these guns as trade-ins and there is no way to test them. Someone sells them a nice looking dud and they sell it to someone else without a care....

I have no interest in doing a succession of triage tests that cost time money and effort. When you plop down fair market value for a gun i expect it to work. a few scuffs or imperfections..thats expected. but anyone who would have bothered to test this thing would immediately know it is completely unreliable.

If a shop buys a gun from someone and sells it to someone else, they should be willing to stand behind it (within some reasonable period of time).

I hope they are reasonable when I drop by and ask about it tomorrow...

If you want to send me a pm with name of shop, may help.

In any case.... i think the issue with the gun.

You say it is a Walther PPK.....

is it imported by... Interarms or Smith Wesson?

Inter Arms imports had issues, particularly with different types of ammo in the gun., particularly the gap in the feedramp iirc.

Check the walther forums.

If the gun was imported by Smith Wesson, do you have the warranty card? if so, reach out to them and see if they will help.

Some links...

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/21501-walther-ppk-s-s-w-feed-issues.html

Just google Walther PPK feeding issues, and plenty of videos and posts will come up.

Send me a PM with shop name.

If gun was consignment.... unfortunately they would probably not shoot it. If it was owned by the shop, you may have some recourse..... or get the gun fixed. =)

It is the interarms version..which is funny because when I had the idea of getting the ppk, I had been told by a few people to make sure I got an interarms version, and not the S+W. So much for that...

That's a good idea with checking walther forums. I will do that.

If they are not sympathetic tomorrow, I will shoot you a PM. Will give them a chance to make it right

edit: thanks for link, researching now

It is the interarms version..which is funny because when I had the idea of getting the ppk, I had been told by a few people to make sure I got an interarms version, and not the S+W. So much for that...

That's a good idea with checking walther forums. I will do that.

If they are not sympathetic tomorrow, I will shoot you a PM. Will give them a chance to make it right

edit: thanks for link, researching now

I get the two versions confused.... Smith Wesson might of make the crappier version, but they stand behind their guns. =)

Inter Arms may be the better made gun.

Pm me the name of shop anyway. =)

I did clean it completely when I brought it home. It did the same nonsense whether there was 3 rounds in it or 8. For what it's worth it was American ammo , FMJ (not reloads).

Was not bought at rtsp. My fear is in this environment where no gun store is hurting for business, this shop is possibly going to tell me they don't care and it's my problem, call the manufacturer. Which would be rough, considering they take these guns as trade-ins and there is no way to test them. Someone sells them a nice looking dud and they sell it to someone else without a care....

I have no interest in doing a succession of triage tests that cost time money and effort. When you plop down fair market value for a gun i expect it to work. a few scuffs or imperfections..thats expected. but anyone who would have bothered to test this thing would immediately know it is completely unreliable.

If a shop buys a gun from someone and sells it to someone else, they should be willing to stand behind it (within some reasonable period of time).

I hope they are reasonable when I drop by and ask about it tomorrow...

Trouble shooting and learning the in's and out's of your firearm are never a waste of time or nonsense. I understand it's frustrating when you spend money and you have issues right from the start, however this is the world of firearms espically used ones. Each one is a gamble and learning how they work, their in's and out's of the spicific model you choose and how to fix it is always something you want to know even if you arent having an issue.

Like anything else mechinical they can be defective or inperfect to start with now add a small explosion followed by a violent action into the mix each and every time you pull the trigger hundreds of times. The things I shared with you will save you time, headache and money in the long run because paying a "gun smith" to trouble shoot and then order a part to swap it out is a waste of money when you can fix the part yourself.

Googeling your trouble will most likely find you the same info I have provided you already.

Good luck I do hope they help you out in the end.