triplecrown

JC Police disciplined for "3%" participation

Hopefully not a dup post as I did try and search. Also hope this can be kept civil as I think it can be a productive discussion. I do think the high brass are wrong here for disciplining their officers. However, I don't know how I think about them being so forward on the job about it? Whatcha think?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/04/jersey_city_police_brass_ident.html#incart_m-rpt-1

I don't agree with them putting their own patches and don't they should have their own "clique" within the department. However what they believe or do on their own time should be their business (to the degree that it is not unbecoming to their department.

Unfortunately like many groups that "go against the grain" when it comes to mainstream media promoted government-backed ideology, they are quickly dismissed and lumped into the whacked-out, conspiracy-nut, racists, "extremist" bin.

It is true that lots of times these groups are started for the right reasons and get off to a good start like Oath Keepers and the Tea Party movement, but then unfortunately they draw in crazies that make everyone look bad.

My question is when did the Oath Keepers "3%" folks turn into an "anti-government extremist" group which apparently also has roots in anti-semitism and bigotry since it drew the attention of the anti-defamation league?

This is exactly what mainstream media and our government keepers have been trying to make the NRA and any gun-rights group to be. They go out of their way to exemplify the few nut-jobs within gun-rights groups and try to portray them as the majority base character. Cuomo for instance has used the "extremist" word many times in interviews and speeches when referring to any pro-gun/civil rights group who was opposed to his anti-gun rights laws.

This is a perfect example of why cops are not so vocal about their support. This is what happens. I hope they fight their discipline and win. Now I want a 3% percent patch to wear on my vest

Is it commonplace to wear/alter your own patches? If it is otherwise condoned by the brass I don't see why this would be different. I'm under the impression that there is a standard that is maintained. Obviously I'm not LEO

That's what infuriates me the most. These guys being labeled as sympathetic to extremists

You're not alone - this is a really disturbing trend to label people who believe in the constitution and bill of rights as radicals.

Any way to contact any of these "3%" officers to offer a note of thanks/support?

Is it commonplace to wear/alter your own patches? If it is otherwise condoned by the brass I don't see why this would be different. I'm under the impression that there is a standard that is maintained. Obviously I'm not LEO

There are always uniform standards. Patrol officers usually don't sway to far from rules and regs but swat and way guys get a little more forgiveness. One way we do it is attach patches to the Velcro on our vests. You don't see it when the weather is warm because the vest is hidden but in winter you see the patches under the jacket when the vest is exposed.

That's what infuriates me the most. These guys being labeled as sympathetic to extremists

Apparently the guy writing the article has some questionable sources. The quote below is one of the comments on that page

I think the writer may be trying to oversell a story here. The Southern Poverty Law Center is a well known pro-terrorist and anti-American institution. See their own press release at: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence...

Both the ADL and SPLC have specialize in influencing low-information (a.k.a. clueless) voters. I think the audience was underestimated.

This is exactly how the media will portray anyone who stands up to the govt when the govt is wrong. You will be labeled a nutcase or domestic terrorist and will be guilty in the publics eyes. You might even be locked up for the safety of the people and you certainly will be stripped of your firearms.

Things certainly will get interesting in the next 20 years in my opinion

I don't think they should have been putting on patches, but when did constitutionalists become terrorists?

Last time I checked oathkeepers / 3% refers to people who will not follow unconstitutional orders (keeping thier oaths to the constitution and the people) and if the government becomes tyrannical will fight to protect the constitution( like the 3% in the revolution).

I think the author of that article is a bit skewed, but thats par for the course in NJ media I suppose.

I don't think they should have been putting on patches, but when did constitutionalists become terrorists?

a bit skewed, but thats par for the course in NJ media I suppose.

About four years ago.

They had Israeli intelligence monitoring us and collecting our records at the 2010 Second Amendment Rally in Harrisburg. This is not tin-foil, it is a fact, reported by plain old mainstream Pennsylvania media, national as well. They have a file on me, and I guess the Israelis do as well, for whatever that is worth. Not planning a trip to the Middle East any time soon so less concerned about the latter.

You haven't read the memos from DHS warning that constitutionalists could be potential terrorists?

This isn't new, this is settled business. We are the primary threat according to DHS, SPLC, and the entire democrat party. It's public policy.

I see the US reverting back to the days of Kings and peasants and a famous George Satayana quote comes to mind. I had to stop reading the comments from that story on nj.com

There's going to be a major shift in this country forthcoming. Common sense vs. illogical ideals will come to a clash.

So is there any chance these officers will lose their "right" to bear arms because they've now been labeled as associates to an anti-government group? (I am in no way agreeing with this just describing as the article does). There's a question on the ATF form asking if you have ever denounced te govt or interacted with anti gotvt groups (not sure of exact wording) so what does this mean for them concerning firearms?

"The three-percent movement promotes the idea that the federal government is plotting to take away the rights of American citizens and must be resisted, the ADL says on its website."

And then they get reprimanded for exercising one of those rights.

" ...we put a stop to it immediately,” Jersey City Police Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach said."

Ironic.

Punishing them only goes to substantiate the group. If only the Police Chief could see the irony in that.

It is also pretty damn sad that being a part of a group that more or less is just reaffirming their sworn oath gets you punished.

"The three-percent movement promotes the idea that the federal government is plotting to take away the rights of American citizens and must be resisted, the ADL says on its website."

And then they get reprimanded for exercising one of those rights.

" ...we put a stop to it immediately,” Jersey City Police Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach said."

Ironic.

Punishing them only goes to substantiate the group. If only the Police Chief could see the irony in that.

It is also pretty damn sad that being a part of a group that more or less is just reaffirming their sworn oath gets you punished.

+1

I also love how they label it extremist. I am sure these guys don't advocate revolution and anarchy. Just support the constitution and are fed up with the direction of this country

in one sentence, they're labeled as extremists, and in another, they're said to be sworn to uphold/defend the Constitution. this is the bs programming that's going on. if you support free thought, you're extreme.

This is a perfect example of why cops are not so vocal about their support. This is what happens. I hope they fight their discipline and win. Now I want a 3% percent patch to wear on my vest

put it on the inside of your hat....