S2723 Revises Firearm Purchaser ID and handgun purchase permits (Sweeney, Norcross, Weinberg)

It goes to the governor's desk for his vote/veto!

Passed 23 to 17. Basically party lines.

At least they can't override a veto.

Here's where we have to focus energy on CC like a laser beam. I think in the short term, we have one effective tool. EVERYONE get to the primary on 6/4 and vote for Seth Grossman for Republican candidate. He's very pro-2A and fiscally conservative.

He has zero chance of actually beating CC, so no risk of inadvertently voting in a weak candidate who is vulnerable to Buono. But if we can create a significant bump in his numbers, it sends a loud and clear message to CC that voters are watching and take 2A stance very seriously.

Here's where we have to focus energy on CC like a laser beam. I think in the short term, we have one effective tool. EVERYONE get to the primary on 6/4 and vote for Seth Grossman for Republican candidate. He's very pro-2A and fiscally conservative.

He has zero chance of actually beating CC, so no risk of inadvertently voting in a weak candidate who is vulnerable to Buono. But if we can create a significant bump in his numbers, it sends a loud and clear message to CC that voters are watching and take 2A stance very seriously.

I LIKE that idea!!! Count me in!! One more vote for Seth

At least they can't override a veto.

Great idea! I'm in

So what's the next step? How long until our fid cards are no longer valid.

The article says it goes back to the assembly, or maybe an assembly committee. I forget. Not that I expect it to be slowed down there. Those asshats already approved far worse.

Focusing the cost aspect is really our best bet. CC could veto it stating the cost was too high. Taxes are high for everyone so he might not lose much local support if he did.

Glad my license does not expire till June '16, at least I get to keep my real FID card till then and can buy things out of state.  This really sucks, Christie had better veto this crap.

If im reading the final version right, the provisions that allow law enforcement to seize a FID (commitment, domestic violence) woulod not result in them seizing your Driver's license

They just turn off your ability to buy firearms in the database.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The article says it goes back to the assembly, or maybe an assembly committee. I forget. Not that I expect it to be slowed down there. Those asshats already approved far worse. Focusing the cost aspect is really our best bet. CC could veto it stating the cost was too high. Taxes are high for everyone so he might not lose much local support if he did.

Yeah, but what if the state geniuses just pass the costs along to us, i.e. "Oh... you have an FID....that'll be $300.00".  Asshats they are, indeed up there in Trenton.

Is the seven day waiting period a "cooling off" period? Shouldnt we be exempt from that if we already own at least one handgun? The question I want to know if this gets tied in with drivers information, when cops have the automatic plate readers in their cars, will this make us a more attractive target for their next stop?

Is the seven day waiting period a "cooling off" period? Shouldnt we be exempt from that if we already own at least one handgun? The question I want to know if this gets tied in with drivers information, when cops have the automatic plate readers in their cars, will this make us a more attractive target for their next stop?

We are ALREADY waiting 3 plus MONTHS for FID & P2P's, the 7 day wait is a scam designed to infringe even more on our 2A rights

We are ALREADY waiting 3 plus MONTHS for FID & P2P's, the 7 day wait is a scam designed to infringe even more on our 2A rights

We also ALREADY have a 7-day wait.. the clock starts when you submit your application for a P2P so it has never been an issue since the P2P process is longer.

IF this bill changes how P2P's work, so we had 1 P2P that is valid for all purchases within a 4-year period, then the definition of when the clock starts for the 7-day wait would also have to change to POS and would be more noticeable.. assuming they put the 'I' back in NICS.

It is a valid point that the 7-day "cooling off' period is ridiculous for people who already own a firearm.. brings up a question:

Right now I have 1 P2P per purchase.. and the P2P form is filled out with the SN/info of the purchase and sent to the NJSP... effectively it is a Handgun registration.  if the P2P is changed as per my above, then what would get sent to NJSP?  There would be no 'form' to send up, right?

IN theory the bill could be set up such that if the new P2P still retains some form of HG registration then the NICS could return whether the purchaser had previously registered HG and the dealer should be able to waive the 7-day wait.

What if the new handgun is more evil than the ones you currently own?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Something else, If I am correct, and I hope I am not, if you read the proposed bill, 2C:39-10.9c1 No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of rifle ammunition or shotgun ammunition to a person who is under 18 years of age.

This will end all firearm youth hunting activities in this state. I cannot find any exception for this prohibition. So if Christie signs it, no more target shooting or hunting for children. Would be a felony to do so. Considering how zealously NJ prosecutes even technical violations, I can see this becoming a nightmare.  Please tell me I am wrong here.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S3000/2723_I2.HTM

The link to the entire bill.

Something else, If I am correct, and I hope I am not, if you read the proposed bill, 2C:39-10.9c1 No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of rifle ammunition or shotgun ammunition to a person who is under 18 years of age.

This will end all firearm youth hunting activities in this state. I cannot find any exception for this prohibition. So if Christie signs it, no more target shooting or hunting for children. Would be a felony to do so. Considering how zealously NJ prosecutes even technical violations, I can see this becoming a nightmare.  Please tell me I am wrong here.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S3000/2723_I2.HTM

The link to the entire bill.

You are incorrect.  Temporary transfers for hunting and target shooting have not changed.

Anyone attending the Assembly Law and Public Safety meeting today?

I am listening to live stream and find it difficult to follow by audio. They just took a vote on amending and releasing, but didn't announce results of vote, and moved to recess for clarification of committee rules?

They came back from recess and announced the committee will not be releasing the bill today. They will review language and amendments with sponsor Senator Sweeney.

Hopefully sanity will prevail.

From ANJRPC:

In a dramatic upset in the timing of the "centerpiece" of the Democrats' gun bill package, the New Jersey Assembly Law & Public Safety Committee today failed to muster enough votes to pass S2723/A4182 out of committee.

In a stunning turn of events, it became apparent during a roll call vote that there were not a sufficient number of Democratic votes for the bill. Rather than complete the roll call as required by legislative rules, chaos and confusion ensued as the committee chairman and staffers halted the proceedings mid-roll- call and huddled in an adjacent room while they figured out what to do.  Republican members of the committee protested the unprecedented procedure and argued with the chairman.

Rather than completing the embarrassing vote, the chairman made a face-saving announcement that the bill was being "held" for further amendment at a future meeting. It is highly irregular, and likely against legislative rules, to halt a vote once it has begun.

It is anticipated that the bill will resurface at another Assembly committee meeting later this month, where Democrats will use legislative maneuvers to either change the committee members to ensure a favorable outcome, or move the bill through an entirely different committee where they can better control the outcome.

"The game is completely rigged in Trenton," said ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach. "The Democrats suffered an embarrassing delay today, but they will be back with a vengeance and attempt every procedural trick in the book to ensure the passage of their centerpiece bill."

The stalled Sweeney bill throws out existing FID cards and replaces them with either a privacy-invading driver license endorsement or other form of ID; suspends Second Amendment rights without proof of firearms training; imposes a 7-day waiting period for handgun purchases; ends all private sales; and effectively creates a registry of ammunition purchases and long gun sales. Democrats have touted the bill as a national model.  

Leading up to the unusual committee result, there was sharp testimony from several gun rights activists, including ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach, who ripped the bill as "a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist” and "an irrational attack” on gun owners.  Bach mocked the suggestion that New Jersey is a "national model” for anything, told legislators to leave responsible gun owners alone, and urged them to pull their "centerpiece” off the table.  Apparently, some Democrats agreed.

A recording of the hearing can be accessed here (scroll to Thursday, June 6, 2013, then click "listen”). Bach’s full statement is available here.

Other bills on the agenda passed out of committee, but those bills have either been previously amended so they only impact criminals, or they do not impact Second Amendment rights.

Additional details on today's events will be forthcoming.

WTF happened???
This is the same committee that rubber stamped all of the monstrosities through the first time.
Anyone know which Democrats defected? I'd like to send them a thank you note.

Given this development, the Dems can try all the parliamentary tricks they want. I can't see how Christie can sign it.

Anyone know which Democrats defected? I'd like to send them a thank you note.

Hold off on that thank you note.  It was Cryan.  The guy who wanted to reduce magazine capacity to 5 (A3664).  Apparently the only person he hates more than legal gun owners is Senator Sweeney.