BleedingOrange36

Moving to Florida.....

Haven't been around in a few weeks, phone crashed... Wifi blocked at work.... Beyond busy trying to get everything in order.

It's pretty much official, lease is up June 30th..... I'm not resigning. I've already staked out my next spot in SW Florida, lining up work right now. The girlfriend and I are heading down first week of July. While down there for those 9days with family... Hers and mine, I realized life is too short to be stuck here in NJ..... I've gotten out once, and since I've been back here I've realized that there are bigger and better things out there.

I just wants to stop in and make it NJGF Official.

I will have some stuff posted in the Classifieds very soon, mostly on the NJ List. I would like to get out and shoot with people from here before I leave, keep me posted on events in the south.

Can't wait to get my CCW :)

Good luck, Where in SW are you going? Bring some Pizza, Bagles, Pork roll and Birch Beer with you!

Cape Coral when I get there, but looking more towards south ft Myers, Naples, or punta gorda. From there I will determine where I'll plant roots for a few years. Then I'm looking towards Arizona or Texas, maybe even Vegas again ;)

Cape Coral when I get there, but looking more towards south ft Myers, Naples, or punta gorda. From there I will determine where I'll plant roots for a few years. Then I'm looking towards Arizona or Texas, maybe even Vegas again ;)

You are very lucky. I was all set to sart to build on my lot in Cape Coral, up in the north west cape when sandy hit.  I had to put my plans on hold for a a while.  I hope to get back on track soon.

You are very lucky. I was all set to sart to build on my lot in Cape Coral, up in the north west cape when sandy hit. I had to put my plans on hold for a a while. I hope to get back on track soon.
The Cape really is a nice place. A lot of the locals bad mouth it because of the Deed restricted property. I see it as keeping the city nice and clean without taxing the living bejesus out of everyone.

My family is in SW Cape, gotta love having gulf access in your backyard.

The hardest part about the move for me is changing my career field. There isn't much manufacturing down there, and that's where most of my exp is. With me being exceptionally handy, and having the ability to network with almost anyone I meet..... I've already and a few offers.

It's just really tough being up here and asked to come in for an interview ASAP.

And just so everyone knows, I will still keep tabs on what's going on in NJ..... And I will never stop exposing NJ gun laws for what they are.... I will remain a member of NJ2AS and continue to do what I can.

Can't wait!!

Best of luck!  My family had a winter house on Sanibel not too far from where you are going, I have a ton of great memories from being down there.  I actually found a bunch of pics of me down there when I was a kid after my parents house got destroyed during Sandy :(  

Best of luck! My family had a winter house on Sanibel not too far from where you are going, I have a ton of great memories from being down there. I actually found a bunch of pics of me down there when I was a kid after my parents house got destroyed during Sandy :(

Love Sanibel, I spent my last day there while on vacation.

Spent a good portion of a day on Lovers key beach, and the remainder of that day at the range.

I think I'm most excited about all of the wildlife in the area. Being a reptile person, it's a paradise for me.

The fishing is awesome, the weather isn't too bad considering what we deal with up here sometimes.

Insurance for my truck drops $125 right off the bat, and I can rent a 4bdrm house for 2/3rds of what I pay for my apt......

The pay down there is slightly lower than it is here, but the quality of life seems to make up for it.

I really didn't think I was going to the able to make the jump this year, it's nice having a strong support system. My girlfriends family is in Naples, only about 30min from my family..... And they are some great people.... I got the gun room walkthrough, did some fishing in Port Charlotte and scouted for some hogs while I was with them.

Congrats, really.  I hope to be out of this hellhole soon, and will be active if any of this crap passes, either by Christie signing or default passing by sitting on his desk.

Where is that in relation to Tampa?  We have a few NJGF members who moved there recently, and now you cannot drag them back.  You guys too.  Once you find a job, tough to leave.

Dirt cheap taxes and cost of living..... free country for the most part, and 70% conservative local legislative branches.... sweet.   Running the numbers, the money saved moving there, you can easily afford to fly to NJ 3 to 4 times a month.   Because it is only a 2 hour flight from anywhere in Florida to anywhere in NJ... almost the same as moving to PA.

\

Where is that in relation to Tampa?  We have a few NJGF members who moved there recently, and now you cannot drag them back.  You guys too.  Once you find a job, tough to leave.

\

Tampa is about 2 hours north of Cape Coral/Fort Meyers. When up there once or twice to visit grandparents when I lived down there.

BleedingOrange: Good luck with the move, and getting established down there. Hopefully I'll be getting down there soon, or maybe even PA...can't quite make up my mind yet.

I did what you did 3 years ago and am so happy that I cannot stop gloating about it. :) I got my ccw license about 2 months after I got here because you need to prove residency by providing utility bills for a month or two or a deed to get your driver's license. A driver's license is the easiest way to get your ccw. If you are a veteran you do not have to take the mandatory class. If not you do but you can find them all over the place.

We love it here. I did not even have to wear a jacket all winter. The most I did was put a long sleeve shirt over a tee shirt. It is nice to wake up to sunshine most days and always feel that warm sun on you. People are friendly around here and always wave and smile at you. Range and gun club fees are inexpensive where I am in Central Florida. Cannot speak for SW Florida though as I have never been there. I sold off most of my guns before I moved because I did not have room in the van for them (we ended up leaving a lot behind much to the dismay of the new owners who chased us down the street to try to get us to take away another van load of stuff) and my handguns were all duty sized and not suitable for ccw. If you have never carried before just keep in mind that while a gun may feel OK in a gun store tucked in your belt for a few minutes, carrying it all day is a lot different. I no longer have the guns I bought when I got here. Summers in Florida, especially where you are going, are hot and humid and you will want the thinnest and lightest gun you can get. I settled on the Sig P928 and XDs which I can pocket or belt carry. They work great with any type of clothes I wear but I mostly wear flip flops, Tee shirt and shorts most of the year.

This is where I now live and it cost me half of what my NJ house costs and I have more land here.

post-5975-0-01154600-1368508650_thumb.jpg

Where in FL did you move to?

Here is a question, if you have a Florida CCW already.... you don't need to do anything but update your address, no?

I am in Central NJ. It is considered subtropical. Miami is in the tropics so it is hotter there. Do you have a non-resident ccw license or resident? If non resident I suggest you switch over to resident one. There is a difference in reciprocity with other States as they will only recognize resident ccw licenses from Florida. I think if you go to switch your address from an out of State one to a Florida one they will issue you a resident license. No sure if you have to pay all over for that or not. 

I do not know for certain the laws on non resident ccw permits as I never had one but the three local gun stores I buy from will not sell to anyone with a non resident ccw permit unless they have a Florida ID. YMMV. It might just be store policy due to the many snow birds we get down here buying guns to take back up to NYC or NJ because they do not know the laws in their own home States. :)

Very nice. I've been to Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Sanibel. I like the area. There's a couple ranges in the area too - Shoot Straight and Fowler Firearms. I've been in Fowler - it's not bad.

Fowlers is pretty nice. The people in there were awesome and even waived the gun rental and range fee for me. They have a special going on right now too. $90 for the year, unlimited range time and unlimited gun rentals for you and a guest. They have over 80 guns for rent, and their ammo was priced normally. Went back the second day and they waived the fees for me once again. I guess I doesn't hurt that I bought close to $100 worth of ammo both times.

I can't wait to buy a sweet gun :)

Maybe an AK pistol, or something similar.

I have my sights set on an XDs as a carry gun.

Surprisingly when I browsed for ammo down there it was non-existent..... And try looking for a handgun in a state that doesn't require P2P and OGAM...... Empty shelves everywhere.....

Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone. As much as I love this season here... Minus the pollen, I'm ready for a new start.

Still trying to sell all of my stuff, and figure the logistics out.

I really can't wait to unpin my stock and grind off my muzzle break...... I will also take advantage of the surplus of 30rd pmags at the stores down there...... Surprisingly ammo is non existent down south though..... I had better luck up here.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement everyone. As much as I love this season here... Minus the pollen, I'm ready for a new start. Still trying to sell all of my stuff, and figure the logistics out. I really can't wait to unpin my stock and grind off my muzzle break...... I will also take advantage of the surplus of 30rd pmags at the stores down there...... Surprisingly ammo is non existent down south though..... I had better luck up here.

Mae it to Florida gun exchange... They had all ammo except 22