Dan

Austrailia - too many guns in a home?

This is what they are trying to do here. They are going after people "amassing stockpiles" and "arsenals" of guns. "why do you need that many guns and bullets" they say.

The government is going to audit licensed gun owners to see if they have too many guns. They mentioned something about the law only allowing 50 guns for a licensed gun owner.

Scary crap, especially since this is what the media is trying to portray here whenever they talk about a gun owner who broke no laws having an "arsenal" and "why would he/she need that many guns" , alluding that they are just a potential murderer.

There is an irrational individual that I know that truly believes, in his uneducated state, that you have the right to possess guns, but you should only be allowed to have two.  I have explained that different guns are used for different purposes.  I have explained that some people celebrating their right to pursue happiness enjoy collecting them.  I pointed out that if something happened, a gun owner could arm more people than just him or herself.  I pointed out that if one was taken by the police for investigations, that at least another one should be available for protection.  I pointed out that if one breaks, you could still have another of that particular kind.  I pointed out that if there was an ammunition shortage, you might be able to find a certain type of ammo, so you should have guns maybe in a variety of common calibers.   And, even after all of that, and after going over what differing guns are used for... 22s, shotgun, rifle, handguns, revolver, etc... that they have different purposes, etc... even after all that... "If I was in charge, I would only allow 2!)

You cannot fix stupid!

You cannot stop a statist's ambition!

Give sheep food, water, and shelter and they are happy!

This is what they are trying to do here. They are going after people "amassing stockpiles" and "arsenals" of guns. "why do you need that many guns and bullets" they say.

It's AUSTRALIA.. Everything there is trying to poison, bite, stab, or otherwise kill you.  Why WOULDN'T a rational person want an arsenal of weapons in those conditions? :)

Next year, and "arsenal" will be defined as 40...then 30....

Just like hi cap mags keep getting defined down.

Non-gun people definitely don't understand the vast variety of mechanisms, histories, and uses for different guns. I once heard a laughable report about how gun companies conspire to get gun owners to buy more guns by coming out with various commemorative editions. They don't realize that there's no need for a conspiracy. There's always another gun that we "need."

Does anyone know anyone who's ever bought a commemorative edition? I'd much rather have a cool variation on a historical gun than a manufactured "collector's item." Same with knives.

I agree 100% the state should limit you only to the guns you need, with the understanding that you always need at lease one more than you currently have :)

[No flames please -- this is intended as a joke]

This is the problem with registration. Using words like "target" by police when referring to LICENSED gun owners is where the fanatics want to take us.

They look to failed economic policies of the EU and the failed gun control policies of Australia as models for the US.

We must stand strong and vote them out.

During the last 2 elections, the encumbent's political operatives would suggest that blue state students going to school in red states register at their school address so their votes would "make a difference." Maybe blue county residents should rent a room for a month or two to those of us that live in red counties. I may be looking for a room Oct-Nov timeframe in Jersey City.

It still works for me Maks. Its on youtube.

I think the point is that this type of propaganda has already been played out in our own lamestream media. "why do you need this kind of gun", "why do you need more then 'n' guns", added with the connotation that if you are a gun owner then you are a latent criminal waiting to bloom into murder.

This is what we are up against. The perpetual erosion of our rights, made possible by a slow but consistent gradual demonization of guns and gun owners in the media.

Unless we can shift the focus to what the REAL problems are regarding violence in our country, they will continue down this path.