Cixelsid

NJ, you and guns.

Thanks to the wide media exposure and attempts of some people in politics to ban certain inalienable rights I became a gun owner for the first time in 2013.  Basically I would have never even thought to buy one if I wasn't constantly reminded in the media how "bad" they were, and how ordinary citizens should not have them.  Even though it's a basic right under the Constitution of the land.

So.. you want a gun and live in NJ?  You have never had a criminal record whatsoever?  You've never been arrested?  The closest you've ever been to breaking the law is a parking violation?  Welcome! you are now a felon in waiting according to the powers that be if you want to own a firearm.

You see guns are banned in N.J.  100% banned.  The only reason you are even allowed to have one, is through multiple "exceptions".  Stray from any one of those exceptions and welcome to prisonville.  No it's not an app on your iPhone, it's a not so nice place where 3 meals a day are served and a bottle of vaseline is optional. ;)

NJ goes specifically above and beyond and out of their way, to make sure owning a gun is the most difficult and time consuming endeavor you've ever had the displeasure of trying.

But to all the naysayers.. heres a big "F" YOU!  I now am the proud owner of a handgun, and have another gun on the way.  All of your deflect and delay tactics were for naught.

thank you for listening to my rant..

That's great to hear and welcome to our ranks.

Can you give us a little background on how you came to be a gun owners? Do you have friends who are also in the same boat?

Our best hope is in swelling our numbers. I'd like to see if we can replicate the experience you went through with many other non-gun owners.

In my experience, the best approach has been to take curious people to the range.

Well ranted!.....

I feel the same way too as many of us do I'm sure.  After the latest mass shootings and hearing about all this new proposed feel-good-do-nothing legislation is what spurned me to officially become a FID card carrying armed member of society.   I have just applied for 3 more permits whether I use them all or not, does not matter.   Many many more New Jersians (and Americans) should exercise their inalienable rights to bear arms.  Strength in numbers!

Welcome to the ranks.....I don't believe your reasoning to firearm ownership is unique however, as I'm sure the overwhelming amount of NICS checks would attest to but just the fact you live in New Jersey and have endured the "slings and arrows" to become one is admirable.

I like your rant, probably could not have done it better myself.  I had not touched a gun since I was about 14 years old.  Used to shoot .22 bolt action rifles in summer camp but that is about it.  When someone tells me I can't have something it obviously makes me want it.  Well that is how I joined the gun club.  After Sandy hook and Super Story Sandy I decided if I was ever going to do it now is the time.  A few months later I am now waiting out OGAM so I can run the nics on gun #4 :)

Oh and like born again religious people I think some of us new ones are the most vocal about protecting our rights.  I have been to Trenton and other local meetings and write letters all the time.

Great post! Welcome to the community. Look into joining NJ2AS and support them - they're doing a lot to advance the 2A cause in this state.

I will echo others: bring someone new to the range! It's one of the best ways we can get new people into the sport. It's already helped me transform a neutral person and a borderline anti into budding gun enthusiasts! It really does work, so get out there and do it :)

Again, welcome to gun culture!

Here is what delayed my foray and what helped. I started to be interested in 2A the moment I started to read about 1A and other Constitution related matter.

First and foremost, all the news out on the internet about getting started in NJ  is nothing but discouraging. It may be the reality, but when I earched for "nj pistol permit", I didnt find any encouraging news at all.  Only NJSP links, an attorney describing why its difficult and may need lawyer help, how lengthy the process is.

I am not going to demand, but does it make sense for organizations like NJ2AS and others in NJ to start blogging "good, positive things about the process", "how to approach it" etc.  Just like news articles, dumb down versions of encouragement .  

Yes, there are forums you can read, but as newcomer, my head just spun.

Finally, what helped me is a local guy who showed me his firearms, took me to a range. Knowing someone else went through the process in my town was HUGE encouragement and undid what all those internet nay-sayers did.

Congratulations sir for enduring the NJ firearms legal process.  You now have a serious responsibility, and it's good to see you are not taking it lightly. 

Learn the laws of the land, which are quite detailed and intricate as you have found out.  Make sure you follow them to the letter, most of the time   ;)      One day you will bring a firearm to your buddy's house after shooting, so that you both can (first put all live rounds away) have a drink and clean guns.  And then you'll be a NJ felon by violating the transportation / possession statutes. 

I wish you and your family a safe and happy Memorial Day.  Please take a moment to remember those that died with a firearm in hand defending the liberties we now exercise. 

GREAT Post!  From one felon to another, lol!

Just remember what Raz0 said, "Only violate ONE law at a time" if you don't want to get "jammed-up"!

And I'll add to that:  How many of us here took a rifle or shotgun to a Buddy's house so he could mount a scope on it and bore sight it for us?  Every time you turn-around, you break a law just trying to do the right thing, like put all of your rounds into the proper target (responsible gun ownership/usage!).....

I dont think the process is hard, its just lengthy and embarassing, why should i have to have my fingerprints done and call detectives every two weeks for something that is my right.. When i lived in florida it was just a three day wait on all firearms pruchases and if you have a CCW you walk out with it in the same day ... And the CCW is a simple process that takes less time then an FID to get ...

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  We're all in this together.  I picked up my shiny new M&P 9c recently and now waiting on NICS for my Ruger 22/45 Target.  I've also joined NJ2AS and the NRA.  A right not used is a right lost.  Here's wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend!

I'm also a new gun owner. My first purchase came through in October, 2012, a Ruger SP101 revolver in .357 magnum.

I shot 22s as a teenager. We had a range in the basement of our high school -- in NY City no less. I also passed the timed test to disassemble/assemble an M1. I attended an all-boys, catholic, military high school.

I was indifferent to guns for most of my life. I'd look at them in a sporting goods store and think, "wow." But never took the plunge. Jerk!

I'm from a conservative family that was nevertheless rabidly anti-gun. My father, an otherwise Goldwater Republican, still believes only cops and military should have guns of ANY kind.

(We had a relative who used to "go hunting" but in reality he was cheating on my dear aunt. These things have a way of sticking and taking on a life of their own).

I'm so happy I saw the light. Great to be part of this community.

I am not saying we should not be complaining or suggesting to write "only" positive things about NJ laws.
Looking back its ridiculous, but I honestly believed that getting FPID (much less handgun PP) was the unicorn,
until someone took me to range.

Then there is whole social stigma around firearms that has so many different but deep roots. How many times
did we not hear even families of folks who served in army being reserved about firearms in the house ?

A casual discussion came up with a family friend who was in army many years ago. When I mentioned ARs,
first question from him was "if there was any war going on".

Forum FFLs from here are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. But (may be just me) some other FFLs from outside
gave impression that they are doing me a favor. So as new comer, I think its important to choose a friendly FFL.

To OP, I am with you. FU to all naysayers.  Lets stay safe, stay out of trouble, enjoy the right and make every effort to get back what is lost.

Well said my friend!  Glad to hear that you persevered. 

Good to know that there are so many new people interested in becoming gun owners.

I feel like a grizzled veteran, even though I've only been at it for a couple of years.