jrfly3006

SHTF... If you can only take 2 guns....

10/22 and sig sp2022

Puts dinner on the plate. Both have multi-round mags. The 2022 can be concealed if I need to interact with others.

Not sure it is practical to prepare for hoards of attackers if you can only take 2 firearms. In that situation, you are either outgunned or would be overrun by sheer numbers. Best bet is escape and evade.

Just my 2 cents...

I am not a musket shooter so I don't know.

But I am surprised no one is grabbing a musket.

Not great against zombies, but in a post-nuclear age, finding musket ball mold, charcoal, sulfur and salt peter may be easier than finding rimfire and 223s.

I grab 22 and 223 as well, but I don't expect to survive too long.

I think in choosing a good gun to run with... you have to give some careful consideration to what ammo you may encounter at some point.. 

for example.. 556 might be far more likely to stumble across than lets say 5.45x39...

the main reason I would go with an AR is due to how lightweight it is.. but also due to the high probability of finding chances to get additional ammo at some point... it is a common round for the novice shooter... to law enforcement.. all the way up to the military.. 

Agreed Vlad.. But I'm talking about a new nuclear weapons grade type of sh!t

A nuclear attack, I'm not leaving -- There are just too many of us too condensed to actually get anywhere but dead -- and in the long term cover and supplies will be key

Now if I had to bug out to the north, and survive in the wilderness -- I'm taking 2  - .22 rimfires -- Lightweight, accurate, and I can carry plenty of ammo in a small package --

If I happen to survive, I'll pick up something heavier off someone less fortunate

I think in choosing a good gun to run with... you have to give some careful consideration to what ammo you may encounter at some point.. 

for example.. 556 might be far more likely to stumble across than lets say 5.45x39...

the main reason I would go with an AR is due to how lightweight it is.. but also due to the high probability of finding chances to get additional ammo at some point... it is a common round for the novice shooter... to law enforcement.. all the way up to the military..

great points.. So would you say the top 3 calibers in circulation today in US would be 5.56 / 9mm and .22?

great points.. So would you say the top 3 calibers in circulation today in US would be 5.56 / 9mm and .22?

5.56 no question.... .22 sure just do to the low cost, and insanely vast market of firearms that use it... 9mm probably pretty high up there also... I went with 40 over 9 just due to the abundance of LEO use...

I think 12g (in all of its different loadings) may just trump all the calibers as far as prevalence across the country.

I would agree that 12g is way up there... but ammo is just too bulky IMO to even consider... also range and accuracy is too lacking for me when compared to a carbine... 

even though I love my mosin....I will take my ruger 9 and my Mossberg 500......ammo for both, will be around....or makeable.....

.....but there is no reason I cant have the mosin too.....so I have to bug out with a hand truck...

Based on what I currently own:

Wilderness survival- pump shotgun & .357 revolver

Urban unrest- pump shotgun, hacksaw & 9mm semi

What I'd really want:

Wilderness- AR-7 & scoped Super Redhawk 44mag, 7"

Urban- AR-15 w/ 30 round mags & FN90

I think 12g (in all of its different loadings) may just trump all the calibers as far as prevalence across the country.

I would agree that 12g is way up there... but ammo is just too bulky IMO to even consider... also range and accuracy is too lacking for me when compared to a carbine...

You misunderstood. I am not saying 12g is a better choice for one of your 2 SHTF picks (if you go back you will see that your picks mirror mine) I am saying that 12g is probably the must commonly used ammo out there and therefore is the most abundant and most likley to encounter "caliber" of ammunition across the US.

A corallary to that is you won't need to bring a 12g shotgun as there will probably be many of them around as well as the dust settles.

I'm guessing if SHTF people wouldn't be worried about the gun laws.

What if someone took their 12 pump and cut the barrel down and cut the stock into a pistol grip? That seem like a decent close quarters firearm.

Sawed off shorty and an Ar or mid to long range rifle...

My only shotgun has a rifled barrel so I would have to find one laying around with a smooth bore.

You misunderstood. I am not saying 12g is a better choice for one of your 2 SHTF picks (if you go back you will see that your picks mirror mine) I am saying that 12g is probably the must commonly used ammo out there and therefore is the most abundant and most likley to encounter "caliber" of ammunition across the US.

A corallary to that is you won't need to bring a 12g shotgun as there will probably be many of them around as well as the dust settles.

Oh I know... LoL just saying..

I'm guessing if SHTF people wouldn't be worried about the gun laws.

What if someone took their 12 pump and cut the barrel down and cut the stock into a pistol grip? That seem like a decent close quarters firearm.

Sawed off shorty and an Ar or mid to long range rifle...

My only shotgun has a rifled barrel so I would have to find one laying around with a smooth bore.

I'm sure a shotgun is a better choice than a pointy stick... But not a huge fan of them... Sure they can be useful... But I'd take a carbine and a pistol since a pistol is easily concealed...

Moss 500 or Rem 870 ( choosing one of the most popular 12 gauges for parts/ammo consideration)

glock 17 or 19 (same reasons)

I'd be planning to hunker down and in/near an urban area where useful supplies may be found over time and go out at night for food/essentials.

I always wonder why ppl think that leaving the place your most familiar with is the best option when SHTF i would hunker down ... That being said if i had to leave... LWRC M6 and Glock 21.. And an AR7 ... Gotta have an AR7 !

Not great against zombies, but in a post-nuclear age, finding musket ball mold, charcoal, sulfur and salt peter may be easier than finding rimfire and 223s.

I think you've been watching too many old Star Trek episodes.

http://youtu.be/IDD3-2_wLR8 

Skip to around 1:30...