raz-0

CJ USPSA match 7-14-2013

interested in this but I have never shot a match. cliff notes on best division to start as a newb?

Depends of what you own

Double action or safe action handgun, not modified from factory specs, you can shoot production (or anything but revolver)

Plain 1911 then choose single stack

1911 with 10 rd mags then limited 10

Hi capacity 40cal then choose limited

Custom optics handgun then your are in open

Revolver then well... Revolver division

Depends of what you own Double action or safe action handgun, not modified from factory specs, you can shoot production (or anything but revolver) Plain 1911 then choose single stack 1911 with 10 rd mags then limited 10 Hi capacity 40cal then choose limited Custom optics handgun then your are in open Revolver then well... Revolver division

hmm i guess i will have to choose what i shoot best then.  i own several of the options listed.  is this something friendly to beginners or more geared to experienced shooters?  

I belong to CJRPC but all of my experience is in shooting paper or steel targets from a static position.  I don't mind scoring badly or being laughed at, but I don't want to hold a match up because I am slow at moving and reloading or am missing targets.

after googling video's of uspsa matches it seems there is a lot of moving/shooting/reloading in a rapid fashion which I am not adept at.  

Don't sweat it, I'll walk you through a new shooter introduction, and we'll squad you with experienced shooters to help you along.

No one starts knowing how to do this, every single one of us went from shooting paper statically to the more complex stuff at some point.

Bring the gun you are most comfortable with, 250rd of ammo, all the mags you have, a holster and mag pouches if you have them, sun screen and water.

The rest we can work on :)

Blake...Vlad is one of the match directors.  You will be in good hands with him.

The USPSA croud at CJ and Old Bridge are all terrific.  You'll have a great time.

My only advice...go slow and focus on safety.  Nobody is going to make fun of you...well...a little good natured ball busting should be expected.  We tease cause we love.  Your times won't matter and nobody is going to complain if you take an extra 15 or 20 seconds to shoot a stage.  Pitch in by repairing targets inbetween shoots.

Enjoy!

Blake...Vlad is one of the match directors.  You will be in good hands with him.

The USPSA croud at CJ and Old Bridge are all terrific.  You'll have a great time.

My only advice...go slow and focus on safety.  Nobody is going to make fun of you...well...a little good natured ball busting should be expected.  We tease cause we love.  Your times won't matter and nobody is going to complain if you take an extra 15 or 20 seconds to shoot a stage.  Pitch in by repairing targets inbetween shoots.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the input.  I am going to the match on Sunday and will see how it goes.  As you said safety will be my main focus as I am not trained in moving/drawing from a holster/shooting quickly.  I can do one at a time well but when you combine them who knows lol.  

hmm i guess i will have to choose what i shoot best then.  i own several of the options listed.  is this something friendly to beginners or more geared to experienced shooters?  

I belong to CJRPC but all of my experience is in shooting paper or steel targets from a static position.  I don't mind scoring badly or being laughed at, but I don't want to hold a match up because I am slow at moving and reloading or am missing targets.

after googling video's of uspsa matches it seems there is a lot of moving/shooting/reloading in a rapid fashion which I am not adept at.

Everyone started just like you are about to! If you keep at it your skill set will advance tremendously.

My advise is to go as fast as you are comfortable with but let the RO (range officer) know what you want to do. Start slow and confident and then see what you can do. Either way you will have more fun than if you went to great adventure and meet some of the best people out there!

Ps. Bring water and snacks! The heat can sap the strength right out of you.

Brian