wooly bugger

New Android app allows users to "mark" unsafe gun owners

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.ucsd.visarts.walkingtools.gungeomarker

Here's a description

Geolocate Dangerous Guns and Owners with the Gun Geo Marker. Geolocation means marking dangerous sites on the App's map so that you and others can be aware of the risks in your neighborhood.

The Gun Geo Marker operates very simply, letting parents and community members mark, or geolocate, sites associated with potentially unsafe guns and gun owners. These locations are typically the homes or businesses of suspected unsafe gun owners, but might also be public lands or other locations where guns are not handled safely, or situations where proper rights to own or use any particular type of firearm may not exist. Electronically marking these locations can help others in the area learn about their geography of risk from gun accidents or violence. No matter what your safety concern with firearms might be, you should feel free to use this tool to provide the most accurate information you can such that others can make their own safety decisions.

I'm intrigued by the part about "situations where proper rights to own or use any particular type of firearm may not exist." Does this make all of NJ a danger zone?

The poster's anonymity is protected, but the SUSPECTED gun owner's house is not.  No global browsing. That's good.  So go up and down your block and every neighboring block and tag everyone's house.  Now all the information is tainted.  App  is useless.  Might just piss off a few neighbors enough to do something about it.  See how we feel.

I wrote about this on my blog and posted websites for further info and who you can contact. This app is being touted by some as a way to establish a national gun registry by the people. Just report everyone you know with a gun and over time there will be a large database of gun owners established by citizens. Very dangerous so take this seriously.

I say we all download it and just keep adding bs locations near us. Flood it with incorrect data

That's what I say.  Post so many locations that the server file storage has to be constantly increased.  Who is going to pay for that.  Inaccurate datum will make this app useless. 

Yah, agreed. I may have to try it and mark:

post office, farmers market, local Acme, shopping center, lots of neighbors, gas station, STS, pizza place, chinese restaurant, ice cream shop, Duncan Donuts, WAWA and a few hundred more.

How stupid can they get???????????????????????????????????

I wrote about this on my blog and posted websites for further info and who you can contact. This app is being touted by some as a way to establish a national gun registry by the people. Just report everyone you know with a gun and over time there will be a large database of gun owners established by citizens. Very dangerous so take this seriously.

Ridiculous.

At least half of households have guns. The current reality is probably much higher. You can't have an effective registry of people if it includes almost everyone and also has a +/- 50% error rate.

His personal FB profile and all of his personal information was found in a matter of minutes, which I found amusing. As one person stated "Great job Brett you just pissed off 100 million lawful gun owners who now know everything about you" I give the app a few weeks before its taken down. 

Might be a fun project to geotag the homes of all of the legislators who vote against gun rights.

Agreed!

I say we all download it and just keep adding bs locations near us. Flood it with incorrect data

Everyone's house/apartment I go to tonight at work will be tagged...