Blake

Our Army Navy store made the news today!

After having to clean up what seemed like literally TONS of stuff from the mess that was left by the town, and spending months restocking and repairing the store, we finally settled with them recently and News12 along with the APP and a few other local papers came out to do a story.

It took us more than a half of a year to get back to the point we were before the storm from a business standpoint (my parents are still rebuilding their home that was wrecked) but we are certainly glad that this part of the journey is over.  

Here is a link to the news12 article and 7pm news video from today, as well as the app article and dispactch article:

http://newjersey.news12.com/features/sandy/first-responders-broke-into-shore-army-navy-in-seaside-heights-during-sandy-1.5744923

NJ.com:

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/07/seaside_heights_to_pay_250k_to_towing_comany_cleared_of_price-gouging_charges_after_sandy.html

Signal:

http://www.oceancountysignal.com/2013/07/18/seaside-heights-settles-with-local-businesses-who-claimed-losses-after-hurricane-sandy/

APP:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013307190079

Damn dude, I didn't know they took ya'lls stuff! thats insane! Glad you guys are being compensated!  I laughed at the part where they went into 7-11 and took the essentials "Food and cigarettes" lol

They left out the part of the story where all of the lottery tickets also magically disappeared from the 7-11 store...

and yes, the town "liberated" nearly a quarter of a million dollars worth of inventory from our store.

They left out the part of the story where all of the lottery tickets also magically disappeared from the 7-11 store...

and yes, the town "liberated" nearly a quarter of a million dollars worth of inventory from our store.

DMN your stuff must be expensive!! jk I haven't been there in years, My dad used to do construction on some of those houses on Sumner Ave right by the little sub shop on the corner.  luckily when I was activated we didn't go to seaside, we spent more time at LBI but looters were a problem there as well!  I wonder how much was taken after they left the store unsecure!

DMN your stuff must be expensive!! jk I haven't been there in years, My dad used to do construction on some of those houses on Sumner Ave right by the little sub shop on the corner.  luckily when I was activated we didn't go to seaside, we spent more time at LBI but looters were a problem there as well!  I wonder how much was taken after they left the store unsecure!

LOL our stuff is priced in line with all the other store's, but anyone on NJGF get's a 20% discount.  

They took almost all of our US made product, including boots, pants, jackets, shirts, etc.  We also lost over 1k knives, more than 100 zippos, nearly 75 US made issue sleeping bags, dozens of USGI wool blankets that can't even be rebought, and a multitude of other items.  It adds up quick, and if you had ever been in the store it is easy to see how items accumulated in there over the last 20 years.  

After having to clean up what seemed like literally TONS of stuff from the mess that was left by the town, and spending months restocking and repairing the store, we finally settled with them recently and News12 along with the APP and a few other local papers came out to do a story.

It took us more than a half of a year to get back to the point we were before the storm from a business standpoint (my parents are still rebuilding their home that was wrecked) but we are certainly glad that this part of the journey is over.  

Here is a link to the news12 article and 7pm news video from today, as well as the app article and dispactch article:

http://newjersey.news12.com/features/sandy/first-responders-broke-into-shore-army-navy-in-seaside-heights-during-sandy-1.5744923

NJ.com:

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/07/seaside_heights_to_pay_250k_to_towing_comany_cleared_of_price-gouging_charges_after_sandy.html

Signal:

http://www.oceancountysignal.com/2013/07/18/seaside-heights-settles-with-local-businesses-who-claimed-losses-after-hurricane-sandy/

APP:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013307190079

ya know what?

nevermind......glad you guys are getting back on your feet. i can't type here what i think of the article at the first link......

ya know what?

nevermind......glad you guys are getting back on your feet. i can't type here what i think of the article at the first link......

Thank you for the positive sentiment.  

Clearly the article(s) could have been written better but we are thankful to be done with the saga and that the town acknowledged their wrongdoing.  

Congratulations on the great exposure. 

I have a general question about army navy stores if you don't mind my asking.  When I was a kid, army navy stores were 100% military surplus.  This was just as the Vietnam war was ending and I assumed that all the gear was stuff that had been manufactured for the war but wasn't needed.  I would guess that half the stuff in the store was new and half had seen some use but it was all military gear.

army navy stores today have much less military gear.  I'm just curios if my theory about Vietnam is right or if something else changed with the supply of militarily surplus items.   Not a real important question but something I've always wondered every time I've been in an army navy store.

I have a general question about army navy stores if you don't mind my asking.  When I was a kid, army navy stores were 100% military surplus.  This was just as the Vietnam war was ending and I assumed that all the gear was stuff that had been manufactured for the war but wasn't needed.  I would guess that half the stuff in the store was new and half had seen some use but it was all military gear.

army navy stores today have much less military gear.  I'm just curios if my theory about Vietnam is right or if something else changed with the supply of militarily surplus items.   Not a real important question but something I've always wondered every time I've been in an army navy store.

I remember when i was being discharged from the army (for medical reasons) the night before we were shipped home they had us turn in our stuff and inventoried it .. I asked what is done with everything and they said alot is sold in army navy stores ... But ive bought many new items in army navy stores so i wonder how true that is... And coming from a business owner .. OUCH... 212,000$$ ... SOBs cleaned you out ... If they needed clothes they should of went to the mall ... And lotto tickets .. Come onnn .. These guys should be fired ...

Up until around 2000 we were able to go to the military bases and bid on large lots of used surplus, just like what you were describing.  There was ample inventory at good prices and it was easy to keep the store stocked with issue gear.  Around 2000 the government changed the way that they sold off their surplus.  Instead of each base holding auctions once a month they hired a private company to handle all of the surplus sales.  Now almost everything is done through online auctions that anyone can bid on.  This has raised prices dramatically.

Our main sources of stock for the store are stockpiles of surplus we had from the old bidding days, a large network of wholesalers who have been around forever, and soldiers who come off deployment and sell us their gear.  I would say that our store is about a 50/50 mix of issue military gear and other stuff.  

I remember when i was being discharged from the army (for medical reasons) the night before we were shipped home they had us turn in our stuff and inventoried it .. I asked what is done with everything and they said alot is sold in army navy stores ... But ive bought many new items in army navy stores so i wonder how true that is... And coming from a business owner .. OUCH... 212,000$$ ... SOBs cleaned you out ... If they needed clothes they should of went to the mall ... And lotto tickets .. Come onnn .. These guys should be fired ...

Yea when we heard that all of the cigs and lotto tickets from the 7-11 were gone we knew we weren't the only ones who got bagged.  

Um, how is what the "first responders" did any different from what looters do in times like Sandy? That was straight up THEFT!

Glad to see your store re-opened. I'm wondering if the township REALLY made good on things.... There is no way you guys have been fully compensated IMHO.

^^^ Agreed That was theft what they did. Now don't get me wrong there are times when I believe that there is a ligament reason to break into a store to acquire emergency items. For example if they broke in for first aid supplies and rescue gear in order to immediately save lives that's completely fine in my opinion. "Because the first responders were soaked and needed dry cloths" however is not.

, and soldiers who come off deployment and sell us their gear.

Really... I MAY have some old gear to off load if this is the case.  ABU pants maybe a few pairs of Class A's and the like... do they have to be in perfect condition (only reason I would get rid of them is I got new issued ones and was told not to wear these anymore due to fading, paint stains etc.  Also maybe some boots

Thank you for the positive sentiment.  

Clearly the article(s) could have been written better but we are thankful to be done with the saga and that the town acknowledged their wrongdoing.  

yea well, what i WANTED to type concerning them was super negative. might've gotten me a warning. i figured you've been through enough with all that, without some schmuck coming on here, and being negative.......

that all said......i'm gonna hafta get my butt down there, and check the place out.