ck279

First time selling a pistol...what to expect

I'm looking to sell my [pistols]. I have never sold any of my firearms before and I'm wondering what I can expect to have a dealer offer me. Both guns are in excellent condition with no visible blemishes, kept clean after shooting, and have around 500 rounds on either. For reference I was looking to go to Heritage Guild (Rahway).

I know I can get more from a private sale, but I'm scared as hell of not having my I's dotted and t's crossed and some BS coming back to bite me legally.

Thanks for your help!

As you stated, you will get more from a private sale.  Read up on NJ's laws for private transfers and you will be good to go.  It is very easy and there are a plentiful amount of members here who have completed them without any issues.

Here is a good starting point:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/ 

If you decide to sell to a dealer expect to get ~70% of a private sale price or possibly less.  

Sell it on here. At the right price, both of those guns will go fast.

I think, by this post, he is already advertising them for sale on here. The only thing missing is the price.

no joke..  list them here..  both those guns are very nice and will sell here for much more than you would get at a dealer/FFL..  PM someone who has sold privately if you are nervous about it..  (i have not sold anything myself, but tons here have)..  you will get 25-40% more on a private sale.. 

edit - yeah, PK90 is correct..  de facto listing here..  lol.. 

Thanks everyone for the input.  That gives me a much better sense of what to expect % wise from going through a dealer.  

I would love to sell them on here, but I will need to research the law.  What makes me nervous is accounts I hear of different local PD's telling people different things.  In THIS state and with the current extra scrutiny concerning all things gun related I just want to be SUPER cautious that my selling them is, of course, to the absolute letter of the law. 

Thanks again for all the help.

Carl

if the buyer has a matching p2p, fid, and dl, you should be good to go. you keep a copy of p2p, buyer gets one, you send one to his local pd that issued the p2p, and njsp. its really simple. meet at a range or shop and im sure someone there will guide you through it if you have any more questions.

I sold an old knuckle-duster pistol from 1875 to my local FFL.  It needed some repair (laying in a drawer for 50 years).  He had it appraised and showed me the retail value from the appraiser (I don't think he meant to do that, but too late).  I took his offer knowing he had to have some meat on the bone after he paid for repairs.

On the other hand, anything fully functional and recent would be guns that I would try to sell privately anywhere I could.  I'm not giving a $700 new pistol to any FFL for $250 unless I had to move it by tomorrow.

Sort of like selling a car...give the keys to a dealer and make it simple...and low-return, or deal with tire-kickers and assorted miscreants to wrestle out the extra value.  Depends on your tolerance for that extra work.

Try a consignment gun shop if you are in no rush to sell. This is the only way you can recoup some of the loss in value.

I know Woods and Water in Wall Township does consignments for long guns but not sure about pistols.