1. 1. Who makes your favorite hot dog?

• Nathan's
    • Sabret
    • Ballpark franks
    • Dentz & Watson
    • Bar S
    • Hebrew National
    • Other (tell us below)

So the wife and I were debating who has the best hot dogs (store bought and cooked at home). I tend to think Nathan's are the best on the grill and Sabret is the best dirty water dogs you can get. The wife thinks the Ballpark franks are the best and says she's never had a push cart hot dog before.

What's the word on the forum? What's your favorite hot dog brand?

I am partial to Sabrets. Ill do you one better. Whats the best way to do em?

Grilled or dirty water?

I love corn dogs too.

Best place...

Dog House...in Delaware. Place in Bordentown is pretty good too.

There was a place in Clinton we passed that looked good but we didn't stop. Should have. On 31?

I am partial to Sabrets. Ill do you one better. Whats the best way to do em?

Grilled or dirty water?

I love corn dogs too.

Best place...

Dog House...in Delaware. Place in Bordentown is pretty good too.

There was a place in Clinton we passed that looked good but we didn't stop. Should have. On 31?

Hot Rods on Rt31 is not good, steamed generic hot dog place

Hot Dog Johnnys on Rt46 Buttzville are pretty good

Sabrets have to be boiled... Dirty water all the way! And have to have either cooked onions or chili on em.

Nathan's have to be grilled.

Sarge's dogs over by the 117 parkway south entrance (by the ball field a Ross from the shell station) has the best sabret chili dogs IMO

If I'm grilling them at home, I like Apple gate Farms Grass-Fed hot dogs, they are pricey though. but they are as clean as your are going to get in a pre-made hotdog.

Store-bought - I'm partial to Best Brand when Grilling,

Sabrett if Dirty Water Dog.

There have been some pretty good hot dog places around here, but they all go out of business pretty quickly.

i will check out the truck by 117, I pass by him frequently.

Thuman's for grilling

Sabrett for DWD's

Agreed!

Best OTC chili dog at Jerry's on Elizabeth Avenue in Elizabeth by the cannon. I've been eating them for over 50 years. Must get chili, mustard and onions. Chili recipe has not changed. Not a spicy chili as if you get too spicy it kills the taste of everthing else.

As others have said, Nathan's for grilling and Sabrett for dirty water. Boars Head are pretty good too for grilling.

I love the fried hot dogs at Rutt's Hut in Clifton. They make their own mustard and sauerkraut too which are both great

Nathans or Sabrett's.  The wife likes Best's as well, but we normally get one of the aforementioned 2.  (sometimes Hebrew National if they have a great sale)

Coming from Western NY, I like Zweigle's hots (red or white), but they dont really sell them here. 

Ketchup & Yellow Mustard..  I know most of you dont put ketchup on your dogs, but its a midwestern thing (and western NY is typically considered midwest with many of its quirks)..  although i do love a chili cheese dog as well..  sometimes a good meat based hot sauce is a nice change of pace

Thumann's pork and beef mix. Great snap to them when grilled. Board's head is a close second. 100% Beef dogs are usually too greasy, and I am goyim so kosher doesn't matter to me..

And Rutt's Hurt, and the old time place in Fort Lee are the best one I have ever got from a stand. Nathan's is OK.

I am a Hebrew National snob. I pretty much won't eat a hot dog if its not a Hebrew national. If I am remotely hungry and see a roadside cart selling them I get 1, 2, or 3. Grilled or DWD, they are great. I use Heinz ketchup, spicy brown or jack daniels horseradish mustard, homemade sauerkraut.

It's been tough lately though. The wife is trying to lose her pregnancy weight so I am cooking really healthy and not cheating on her while I am out with a hot dog.

Black Bear.

My favorite setup: I make a batch of caramelized onions first. Sauteed in olive oil, tab of butter, splash of white wine to de-glaze the pan, then add some ketchup for sweetness and Tabasco for heat and some fresh finely-chopped marjoram OR sage for additional flavor. Top the dog's with my spicy onions, add some mustard and some relish, and I'm done. I figure all those vegetables make it okay to consume and it sheds the sacrilegious smack of ketchup on a hot dog.

Last dog I consumed at a hot dog establishment were some deep-fried 'all-the-way' rippers at Johnny & Hanges in Fair Lawn on Maple Ave. I'm guessing the year was 2002, the event coincided with a youth soccer game in town. 

I work in West Long Branch and I'm still looking for a cart or truck in the area to get lunch. Im jonesing for 3 dirty water dogs with mustard, kraut & onions with a cream soda! Any suggestions?

There has to be something out there along the beach.

There has to be something out there along the beach.

Yep, Windmill at Brighton & Ocean. On the north end of town there's also the Lighthouse at Rt 36 & Ocean.

Has anyone been to Destination Dogs in New Brunswick? It's a gourmet take on hot dogs but some of them are outstanding- last time I went I had a Texan dog- boar sausage, pork belly, chicharrones, and chipotle mayo.