HuntingPaper

NYC "finest" in action again...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/nyregion/firing-at-man-in-times-square-police-wound-two-bystanders.html?_r=0&

"Confronted by an agitated man who at one point lay down in the middle of a crowded intersection in Times Square, two police officers fired shots late Saturday evening at the man, striking two bystanders instead, the police said."

this is what the anti's that don't actually understand how guns work can't understand.  it's "commen sense" (as they always like to say) that a harder trigger pull would reduce accidental shooting.  in actuality, no.  see this example.

I hear nothing about him brandishing any weapon. Personally..I would have stopped traffic until this clown either tired out or got tased. Problem is only some sergeants carry tasers. They probably had to wait for one. If all cops carried tasers this would have been over in a few seconds. Lack of proper equipment. Better to get inappropriately tased than shot.

If memory serves me correctly, the last time this happened was the Empire State building shooter.

The guy who killed his boss and was walking down the street with his handgun and news reported

9 shot & one killed.

The 9 people shot were all shot by the NYC police.................... :facepalm:

"After approaching him they say the man reached into his pocket as if grabbing a weapon, and two officers fired shots."  I'm not sure what the rules are in this situation.  Good nobody killed...  Here is something much worse (not in NY):

"Charlotte, N.C., police say an officer who shot and killed an unarmed man has been charged with voluntary manslaughter."  A man was just looking for help:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/15/charlotte-police-officer-charged-with-manslaughter-after-shooting-unarmed-man/#ixzz2eyRNnVxP

yup...judge a large group by a few. Great idea. Hopefully outsiders on the forum dont judge the rest of us by the example of you. Very poor representation

Yeah gotta love how I'm the one who gets pointed out for the comment. Seems im not the only one. Seems to be a pattern on here with a certain occupation. That doesn't help your cause. Nypd is known for its corruption. Then throw in that they shot a bunch of bystanders before. So yes my comment stands.

Bloomberg's finest smh

I can admit when idiots in my union make a mistake. I don't see how it's so hard for your union.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bloomberg is going to ban guns entirely in NY. I can see it now...."All officers will now be equipt with a whistle because guns are to dangerous"

I'd support this over the current situation. The people should be equal to the police. They aren't special.

yup...judge a large group by a few. Great idea. Hopefully outsiders on the forum dont judge the rest of us by the example of you. Very poor representation

Yes, that's kinda how it works. You know, how "you guys"  can use various twists and turns of the law to establish "gang activity" or RICO violations. When a number of people choose to associate themselves in an organized "group", for a common purpose,then they tend to all bear some level of responsibility for all of the actions attributed to that group.  

When that "large group" has a demonstrated habit of closing ranks and routinely, and rather aggressively, defending virtually ANY one of its members against "outside" criticism, for nearly any action, its clear that that group WANTS to be viewed/held out to be a united, cohesive group. Its clear that, as a whole, that group DESIRES to publicly portray a "one-for-all, all-for-one" mentality. If you want to share the "glory", then be prepared to share the blame.

If you don't want to be held accountable/viewed negatively for the actions of other cops, then the "Blue Wall" has to crumble. "Police" your own better. If the good guys want to be seen as such, they need to be more proactive against the bad seeds. Don't defend their actions by way of claiming it is "cop hating". If a plumber beats someone up, does the plumber's union run to the internet/TV to defend their "brother"? No.  Do other plumbers try to deflect criticism of another, by calling it plumber hating? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. 

Yeah gotta love how I'm the one who gets pointed out for the comment. Seems im not the only one. Seems to be a pattern on here with a certain occupation. That doesn't help your cause. Nypd is known for its corruption. Then throw in that they shot a bunch of bystanders before. So yes my comment stands.

Bloomberg's finest smh

I can admit when idiots in my union make a mistake. I don't see how it's so hard for your union.

Exactly. See Above. In fact, when you are willing to call out the mistakes of those others, as well as admit your own, it can only improve your own credibility. We all make mistakes.  Trying to hide them, cover them up, deny them, or defend them with emotional or irrational arguments only make it worse.

I'd support this over the current situation. The people should be equal to the police. They aren't special..

+ a google (the number)

I hear nothing about him brandishing any weapon. Personally..I would have stopped traffic until this clown either tired out or got tased. Problem is only some sergeants carry tasers. They probably had to wait for one. If all cops carried tasers this would have been over in a few seconds. Lack of proper equipment. Better to get inappropriately tased than shot.

Well, really it would be better to not be inappropriately assaulted by any means, whether Taser or gun shot. Yes, of course the Taser would GENERALLY be the less lethal option, unless it gave somebody a heart attack. I think if all cops had Tasers, knowing that it is viewed as "less lethal" would lead to them being more willing to use force in more situations. That's a bad thing. I think you would see a massive increase in the number  of tasings, in increasingly less "dangerous" situations. It would become a far-to-easy go-to "solution".

The better fix would be increased training, emphasizing patience, being less aggressive in order to de-escalate  the situation, and a fundamental shift in the "officer safety is first"mentality. It is not. It comes in about 3rd on the list. 1st priority is respecting the rights of all citizens. 2nd, if possible to do without violating number 1, is to protect the safety of citizens. 3rd, IF it can be done in a manner that does not violate 1 AND 2, is to worry about officer safety. Sorry if you don't like that, but that is what it is supposed to be. If not, then what do we need cops for?  Yes, that would make your job both more difficult and more dangerous. So be it. That's the job. That's what you should have signed up. If "you guys" want to be viewed as "heroes" who are willing to sacrifice yourselves for us, then act like it. Its not about the single grand gesture in a moment of crisis, its about how you act and treat us on a daily, routine basis. That is what the public will judge you on.

I have admitted many times when mistakes were made. I even said in my first post it seems that they made a mistake. To judge a large group by the actions of a couple is ignorant. Thats what the antis do to gun owners

Credit where it is due. Yes, everything you said above ^^^^^^ is correct.(well, maybe the "large group" thing comes with an *- see my prior comments up top) But you have a history of  aggressively "supporting" other cops, even when it is clear that "public" opinion is largely the opposite, to the point of characterizing people who don't agree as "cop haters", instead of objectively debating the merits of a particular situation. You appear to have a particularly acrimonious history with "ShawnMoore".,  Both of these factors shedding more light on his response at 12:16pm, to which your above reply was most likely directed. 

At the risk of appearing entirely too obvious.....

NYC is crowded, especially the Times Square area,home to some unique crazies, even those who have no regard for the welfare of themselves or others. NYC cops are overwhelming younger,inexperienced,and some would argue...under trained,Issued with Glocks that have that dreaded 12 lb trigger all coming together in a city where you are to be believed can be a target of everything from a terrorist attack to a renegade street performer in a Grover costume.

Shit will invertible happen.........Give these guys a break, will you?

Let your wife or kid get accidentally shot and see if you wanna give em a break. Being yound and undertrained isnt an excuse to shoot innocent bystanders. If you can't hit your target maybe you shouldn't have a gun

I would indeed "give them a break" because I would have been paid for not only my distress but everyone else's also.... don't misunderstand, I'm not giving critical allowances because of the reasons I've quoted.... only understanding.

You've mixed emotion with logic....a dangerous and costly mistake.

Let your wife or kid get accidentally shot and see if you wanna give em a break. Being yound and undertrained isnt an excuse to shoot innocent bystanders. If you can't hit your target maybe you shouldn't have a gun

Are you saying a requirement to have a gun is that u have to be proficient? Isn't that what people have been fighting. No requirements? So if its one way you are good with it, but the other way no?