Maksim

Travel with Guns Warning

I ran across this story on a frequent flyer forum, and thought it was quite pertinent to serve as a reminder of best practice here, especially since I know a ton of us love flying to free america with guns.

http://www.king5.com/news/get-jesse/Guns-stolen-from-checked-luggage-223226471.html

Now, out of the Army, Shannon has been victimized on American soil. Two of Shannon's weapons, a Glock 19 and a Rugger SR 22P, were stolen from his duffle bag that he checked before boarding his Delta Airlines flight. Shannon said he did everything by the book.

“I had my weapons in a lockbox, checked them, cleared through TSA, and then put my lock box back in my luggage. And when I got to my destination they were both gone,” explained Shannon.

Shannon was returning from a trip visiting family in Flint, Michigan and had a lay-over in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He said when he reported the problem to Delta staff, they were less than helpful.

Seems he had his guns locked in a box, and then just put into a regular suitcase, with no lock.  Even though this is typically not an issue, I do make sure to make sure the gun case is locked, and then the suitcase, or gun bag is locked as well.

I know many that run a steel cable through the gun case inside the luggage to the bag itself, so the entire bag would need to be stolen.  Fortunately, with Delta, the entire bag is tracked, so would be far easier to locate the entire checked bag, however if your suitcase is unlocked, nothing stopping someone from stealing stuff out of it.

Just recently, in JFK, a few lowlifes were arrested from stealing jewelry, cash, watches and other valuables from suitcases, from INSIDE the El Al 747's while they were being unloaded from the plane.

This is not the first gun theft, but... serves as a reminder.

My friend is a Sales rep for a rather high end sunglasses company.  There aren't many dealers in NJ, so typically when I go to visit him, I'll bring some sunglasses home for friends. 

I had 2 pairs in my checked bag out of Orlando.  When I landed in Atlantic City and retrieved my bag- they were gone. 

$480 dollars worth of merchandise...gone- nothing to give my friends.  I ended up having to pay my friends back the money they gave me to buy the sunglasses. 

I'm 100% sure they were taken in Orlando.  I showed up a few hours early for my flight...plenty of time for baggage handlers to rummage through my bag.  At ACY the bags were out on the carousel before I even made it to baggage claim. 

I filed a complaint with Orlando PD, and the Detective I spoke with said this is a fairly large problem that they are dealing with on a daily basis. 

Glad to know we have thieves working in the secure area of an airport that police know about. 

It is because of this that I am very nervous about taking a gun in my bag.  I flew in May, and brought a handgun(for CCW), but I locked it with a cable to my bag.  I also didn't fly through Orlando. 

food for thought, think of it the other way...

What can they have access to put IN your bag during transit?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/30/authorities-kennedy-airport-workers-busted-in-alleged-baggage-theft-ring/

Leave it to Israeli's to put a camera into a 747 cargo hold.

Put a gps tracking chip in one of the guns. That would be fun lol

That would only give the anti's more ideas.  I would embed something in the case though. 

Walther for instance in Europe, puts a gps or rfid chip in the grip.

My friend went to Manitoba for a duck hunt ten years ago. He fly home into Newark and when he went to claim his shotguns, they were nowhere to be found. His Benelli and Beretta grew legs and walked.

It's reassuring to know that the TSA (Thousands Standing Around) is expanding their job description to allow searching baggage for fun and profit.

At least in Atlantic City, the TSA baggage facility has so many cameras you can't be anywhere in the building and not be on camera.  If stuff gets stolen, it's the baggage handlers loading the planes. 

It's reassuring to know that the TSA (Thousands Standing Around) is expanding their job description to allow searching baggage for fun and profit.

As per one tsa gun guy in Philadelphia airport, it is not the tsa but the baggage handlers.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

You can't lock your outside suitcase they will cut the lock. All suitcases are opened now its a TSA law

Not all bags are opened.  Every piece of checked baggage goes through an x-ray machine.  If they have to inspect it further, they will open it.  For this reason you put a TSA approved lock on the outside bag, but you have to put a non-TSA lock on your gun case inside of your baggage. 

You can't lock your outside suitcase they will cut the lock. All suitcases are opened now its a TSA law

If you have a hard sided suitcase with a declared firearm they CANNOT open it. 

So to fly with your firearm, get a hard sided suitcase (pelican case?) with a strong lock you have the key for. You can't use a TSA lock. Use a regular lock. Always travel with a firearm wherever possible in said locked container. Declare it of course and the TSA will screen it for you in front of you then lock it back. By law only you can open it. Put other stuff that you want to secure with your firearm. TSA or airline workers cannot open it and steal your stuff.

This of course only applies to free America and you should have the appropriate out of state permits (UT/FL at a minimum). 

Not all bags are opened.  Every piece of checked baggage goes through an x-ray machine.  If they have to inspect it further, they will open it.  For this reason you put a TSA approved lock on the outside bag, but you have to put a non-TSA lock on your gun case inside of your baggage. 

You can lock the entire suitcase with a non TSA lock if it has a firearm in it and is a hard sided container. 

food for thought, think of it the other way...

What can they have access to put IN your bag during transit?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/08/30/authorities-kennedy-airport-workers-busted-in-alleged-baggage-theft-ring/

Leave it to Israeli's to put a camera into a 747 cargo hold.

El Al finding catching these guys does not surprise me.  i've seen them when I worked a JFK. El Al's security is the best and they can afford to do it because they are a relatively small airline.  However, some people here would be pissed at the number of questions they typically ask a passenger when they are boarding.

I carry my guns in a locked case inside a locked Haliburton.  Never had any issues with anyone over this.

El Al finding catching these guys does not surprise me.  i've seen them when I worked a JFK. El Al's security is the best and they can afford to do it because they are a relatively small airline.  However, some people here would be pissed at the number of questions they typically ask a passenger when they are boarding.

I carry my guns in a locked case inside a locked Haliburton.  Never had any issues with anyone over this.

I flew El Al a few times, quite familiar with the procedure.  It is actually pretty comforting, and did not really feel invasive.  Far better than getting felt up and xrayed.

Exactly! On a trip to Florida I had the TSA break into my luggage and place a letter in there saying the can open luggage at anytime pretty much.