notmetoo

M9/92FS, the Rodney Dangerfield of handguns

I thought this was a pretty good article describing why the current service handgun gets so dissed. I've handled and shot a few of those abused M9s and I can attest to their poor state of disrepair. I now own a U.S. made M9 and love it.

Bottom line:

"It’s a sad fact that no matter how tough you make a gun, there’s an airman, marine, sailor, and soldier out there who can break it."

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel-zimmerman/beretta-m9-gets-respect/?fb_source=pubv1

I attribute the lack of training to its reputation more than anything else.  The Army focuses on the rifle.  Then when a soldier goes overseas that throw an M9 at him and tell him to go kill. 

It's a fine weapon.  And the author is right.  If we had gone with the Sig P226 20 years ago, people would be complaining about that.

I just can't un-train myself.  I keep handling my M9A1 like my 1911 & M&P and get bit by the open slide. 

Also, the safety works backward from what I am used to with frame-mounted safeties. 

Other than that, the gun feels great in the hand, shoots nice and is very accurate.  I would recommend one to anyone considering a 9mm.  The trigger beats Glock and S&W M&P, no contest. 

What do you mean?  I have an M9 and a 1911 and havent been bit. 

Whenever I forget and grab the slide of my M9 using the same grip that I use on my 1911.  I get the side of my palm pinched in the open slide. 

Hurts like a mo-fo. 

Pics? Even though it is an open slide, never heard that before?

Are you gripping it overhand, completely covering ejection port?

For the military guys, why wouldn't the military change out the springs out 20 year old duty guns?

Pics? Even though it is an open slide, never heard that before?

Are you gripping it overhand, completely covering ejection port?

For the military guys, why wouldn't the military change out the springs out 20 year old duty guns?

It is not a problem if you use a proper 3-finger pinch as taught today.  I understand an overhand grasp is not correct form. 

I learned to shoot semiautos using my uncle's 1911 back in the 1970s when form and format were not so highly scrutinized. 

Just mentioning that muscle memory can be a bad thing sometimes. 

It is not a problem if you use a proper 3-finger pinch as taught today. I understand an overhand grasp is not correct form.

I learned to shoot semiautos using my uncle's 1911 back in the 1970s when form and format were not so highly scrutinized.

Just mentioning that muscle memory can be a bad thing sometimes.

I just don't see how you are pinching your hand. Are you riding the slide back forward or slingshotting to your shoulder?

From a potential M9 owner to those that have one already..shoud I go with regular M9 or do the upgrades in the M9a1 make it that much better?

I personally would pick the m9a1 for the light rail.

I just don't see how you are pinching your hand. Are you riding the slide back forward or slingshotting to your shoulder?

Having taken a chunk out of the side of my hand while breaking it down for cleaning I know he must have been grabbing it overhand. If you do that the side of your hand gets pinched in the ejection port (and hurts like hell). A stupid mistake that only took one instance to learn from

Having taken a chunk out of the side of my hand while breaking it down for cleaning I know he must have been grabbing it overhand. If you do that the side of your hand gets pinched in the ejection port (and hurts like hell). A stupid mistake that only took one instance to learn from

Kinda see how you may do that breaking it down. You don't even touch the slide to break it down though. Just don't see that in normal operation.

In all honesty, you're probably pretty f'ed if your in the army and need to pull out a pistol. You'd have to be REALLY close and your long gun would have to be DOA. Reloads, malfunctions, out of ammo, etc you usually have buddies who can cover to get you back in the fight.