louu

Check out my new target

It took me a whole 3 hours to make out of some stuff I had laying around. I'm going to test it out tomorrow (if USANA will let me) and if it works good I'm going to paint it.

The targets are 1/2" plate (I think) that were used for pad welding coupons. They are attached to solid square stock and some pipe so they spin around. I had some push mower wheels to wheel it around, works good. I didn't want to make it too wide so it can fit through a standard doorway.

untitledpngasdfghj_zps548a2d8f.png

untitledpngjjhgdd_zps6e5ee8ee.png

untitledpngxcvbnm_zps0d89c91d.png

Thanks Nick, Its just regular mild steel but most of the plates were used for pad welding with 7018 smaw or groove welding with dual shield mig 70.

Will the 45 dimple 1/2" mild steel?

I just got back from the range, I couldn't use the target because no one was there to give it the okay. Before I left I ground them smooth.

I did bag me some paper though, I hear that's some good eatin...

ytrdfcvbnhgfd_zps32ea9f54.png

Looks good, +1 for the DIYer.

Check out some steel target websites. You can get spinners ranging in all sizes (very similar to yours) but in AR500 steel. It will cost more of course than making your own like you did but you can shoot .22 all the way up to .223 or x54R and not have to worry about them making any dents in the plates.

Thanks guys, I'm going to try to make it out tomorrow morning. I'm going to do some research and find some steel that is bulletproof. Anybody have any sugesstions, how about 1" plate mild steel? If I can shoot this I'm going to go ahead and give it a blast with the Sks and see what happens. I'll post all the picks.

The .45 will dimple your plates but not to the point of total destruction -- Shoot them --

I cut 6 - 10" circles out of some 1/2 mild steel plate thinking they would be plenty thick to avoid damage -- I was wrong

I've shot them with 9mm - 38 special - 38 super - .45acp and .22 rimfire -- .22 rimfire is the only thing that doesn't make an impression on the face of the plate

They are still plenty servicable -- when they get bad I'll dress them up with a softpad and enjoy dimpling them all over again

Thanks guys, I been doing some research on AR500 its pretty awesome. I found some good deals online but I'm going to check out my local metal shops next week first.

Some things I learned about AR500 grade steel,

-Make sure its water jet or laser cut, not plasma or torch cut.

-you should not weld it.

-Pretty much it should not be heated because it will make it weaker.

Haha Mipafox, I guess the Boilermaker in me has a habit of over building everything. Yeah I drive a full size Silverado, AMERICA!!!

Thanks Tom, There is two of those public hunters ranges near me. I think one is closed down though its on Piney Hollow road, I forget the town but I think its Winslow or something. You cant shoot any center fire rifle or pistol at those places though.

Range report:

I had a great morning at USANA today, good people, good weather, okay shooting (I'm not that good) and a fun target.

I shot at the 50 yard range today. The 22 only swings the 4" target an inch or two and doesn't really swing the 5" or the 6" ones.

The 7.62x39 swings the 6" around about 3 times, its pretty cool. It does some damage to this steel just like you guys were saying.

I have a 4X scope on the 22 and that thing is super easy to shoot, I can put four inch groups at 50 yards all day.

I'm still learning with the Iron sites on the Sks but this target is helping me learn fast. I couldn't see the results at 50 yards when I was shooting at paper with the Sks so I couldn't really teach myself how to use the sites. I don't like walking down range to often to see my work and I don't have binoculars yet. I always ended up shooting low with the Sks. With this target I see instantly if I hit it and in one clip I pretty much figured it out. Shooting at the 4" target with the Sks is awesome, it spins about 5 times.

untitledpngmnbgfde_zps533c9511.png

untitledpngeghj_zpsa0f1dddc.png

untitledpngoiuytrf_zps4b144870.png