Sign in to follow this  
Polak

Would this threading be jersey legal?

I would say its a no-go.

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

Right. But does anyone make a flash suppressor that would thread back there to make this illegal. I'm sure they just wrote accommodate in just to have a gray area.

IMO, it is legal for 2 reasons.

1. The barrel is not threaded.

2. It will not accept a flash hider.

That's what I'm thinking. Just want to be sure.

what gun is this anyway? is it an SKS? I cant tell since I don't know to well....

It's a converted saiga 223

2g6o.jpg

When you permanently attach a muzzle device to the barrel, it becomes part of the barrel (ex. a compensator pinned/welded to a 14.5" barrel to bring the barrel length to over 16" to make it legal for a non SBR)  So i would think that because this is not permanently attached to the barrel it would be safe? this is just my logic, have no idea what good old new jersey would say tho

My view is a prosecutor that wanted to hang you on the letter of the law, could. I for one don't wish to be at anyone's mercy so I avoid grey areas where an anti gun jury is free to interpret the law against me because they are anti gun. An anti prosecuter and jury is not going to care about minute details, they are going to see an AK and think it should be illegal anyway.

Last time I checked a Garand didn't have a pistol grip or detachable mag...... If it did you would indeed have the same issue.

More importantly with a Garand, detachable mag is the qualifier for the needing the to do the semi auto "evil features" dance......without a detachable mag, anything goes (SBR or less than 26" OAL not withstanding).

Lead, your missing the point. The Garand doesn't have an issue BECAUSE it lacks the count of evil features. But if it were an M1A that had a pistol grip stock and a detachable mag, it would have the same issue as the OP's rifle that has a pistol grip and detachable mag. So when you compare the OP's rifle that HAS a det mag and pistol grip to a Garand that does not, its a bad comparison. The Garand can have a full on flash hider or threaded barrel because it does not have a det mag or pistol grip. 

It seems that it is legal under the law.

Unfortunately, in NJ, all you need is a judge that gives the jury a bad instruction on the law and you're screwed.  Lots of NJ judges think guns are bad and that it's their job to make sure anyone that has one - especially a scary looking one - gets punished.

its legal by the law.... but may catch you grief in practice...

just remember when messing with guns like this that the letter of the law says that all "AK TYPE" gun are banned.... no one has been unfortunate enough to find out what that means yet... but I am sure if your gun pissed off the right person you might have your day in court..