Barms

Tire pressure monitor systems

Yes I got my tires off thank you for all who offered to help two weeks ago.

I was okay with the notion the snow tire package I got for a steal for my car didn't have run flats. However I had no idea the yellow TPMS light would stay on. To my chagrine also the dealer will not temporarily turn the light off.

Here is my question. I don't even know the tires have TPMS in them anyway. I was told they came off a 2009 328 convertible I assumed they would have the TPMS in them. So either they are not there or are broke. Is there a way I can find out if they are in there without taking to a tire place?

My worst case scenario is I just drive around for 3 months with the yellow light on. Yes I'm fearless I'm not worried about driving around with no spare tire. I think paying to add the sensors is a waste of my money. Call me a rebel I guess

Check your manual to see if it has a dedicated fuse... and pull that SOB. From my experience, or lack there of since i don't have this feature in my car, is that most people who have it, seem to get more pissed off at it then anything. I keep a gauge in my car and check the tires bi-weekly or if i notice one is low..

Some tpms systems use radio frequency sensors in the valve stems. While others use a style around the axle using the abs sensor to measure revolutions to monitor the air pressure. In 2008 the tpms system became mandatory on all cars. If your car was made after 08. You have tpms.

My friend has them in his Audio and each time he changes to his winter tires (on separate rims) and then back to summer tires he has to pay to have the sensors recalibrated - what a rip-off.

If they are BMW sensors going on a BMW, the chances are they are compatible. They have to be reflashed to transmit to the body computer. My dealer (domestic) does this for free. There may also be a procedure outlined in your owner's manual that tells you how to do it manually. On my car it involves some sort of initiating procedure (forget what that is) then starting at the LF and deflating the tire by 8-10 lbs until the ECU recognizes it, then reinflate. Proceed clockwise around the car. Check your owners manual.

The less intricate systems use the ABS sensors to measure wheel revolutions - this type of system will only have a low pressure warning light and can't indicate which tire is low. The more complex systems have a transmitter married to a pressure transducer integral with the valve stem. This system indicates the actual tire pressure in each tire.

TPMS's came about because of the lawsuit against Firestone tires that involved the rollover accidents of Ford Explorers. The result was the passage of the TREAD act, which included mandatory TPMS systems in all cars from 2009 on.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The other PIA thing with these is that if your vehicle tells you which tire is low you might put air in the wrong tire. This can happen if your tires are rotated without the system being reset.

Bob, on your car I think you hold the lock and unlock buttons on your key fob with the ignition on to start the reset.

I tried a regular reset of the dashboard. Didn't work. Before I spend anymore time on this I wish I could even know if sensors are on the damn things or not.

For more info: I bought dedicated rims and blizzaks for my 328. The old set had run flats and sensors. I put the new package on last weekend and now I have the yellow light. The prior car they were on was a BMW too They are BMW rims. The guy I bought them from said he can't recall if they had sensors or not

The valve stem has a locking nut on it i will take a pic of mine..

Edit: got lucky one was at the bottom was not taking cover off in the rain.

valvestem001_zps59fab775.jpg

valvestem002_zpsae5f6286.jpg

Yeah thats one version, theres also ones that look like a standard valve stem but has a larger metal collar under the threads.

Tony, do yourself a favor and get rid of the metal caps. Over time they can get corroded onto the stem, and will be very hard to get off. Get a set of plastic ones, they're much better.

Not only hard to get off, they may corrode your valve stem as well.

TPMS stems are indeed different. As far as I know, all TPMS stems are NOT brass. Regular ones seem to be all brass.

They are also complete garbage. I've unscrewed a valve cap with my fingers and the stem just sheared. Never broke one taking a Tire off, but I avoided it ss much as possible...

Some manufacturers allow you to reprogram them yourself. I believe we reprogrammed a Buick without any tools.

If you read your owners manual it should tell you if it can be programmed.

This is the procedure for my car.

turn key on, press both lock & unlock buttons on the keyfob, it'll beep the horn.

Let air out of LF until it beeps, RF, RR, then LR. Beeps twice when complete.

Take off the valve caps first to save some time. It'll light up the turn signal/brake light at the corner to do in each step.

when completed inflate to correct pressure.

Tony, do yourself a favor and get rid of the metal caps. Over time they can get corroded onto the stem, and will be very hard to get off. Get a set of plastic ones, they're much better. 

Those are the gm caps that came with the car, no issues yet just put air in no corrosion.. i do not drive this car in the snow or if their is any salt on the roads and it is kept clean stems look new car will 4 years old in march.

Just hopping in here late to the party but if you can verify if they are toms, I may be able to help you out.

I'm borrowing a solus from my Snapon dealer to do a brake job for a friends Audi. He may have the tpms programmer that I can borrow and help you out.

Just hopping in here late to the party but if you can verify if they are toms, I may be able to help you out.

I'm borrowing a solus from my Snapon dealer to do a brake job for a friends Audi. He may have the tpms programmer that I can borrow and help you out.

We had a Solus at work. They're good, but damn if they're overpriced..

We had a Solus at work. They're good, but damn if they're overpriced..

Ain't that the truth. I'm lucky to be pretty friendly with my dealer. He lends me high dollar stuff like that instead of me putting $$ for something I have no use for.