ryan_j

Maine CCW going away for NJ residents

I guess they are all pulling the plug on NJ....  My NH expires in 3/16, Maine expires in 3/15 if it that one don’t get yanked. I just renewed VA and with a newly elected Dem Gov who knows what will happen there?  I suspect our Fl and Utah should be OK for a while longer. This is all the more reason to get onboard with CLASP

I hope this does not become a pattern for other states to follow suit.

...as much as gun rights has made advances in the past years, it increasingly seems, to me at least that we're losing some ground but in the most insidious of ways.......when no one is looking.

In the past months how many states has had their ccw permits restricted for what ever reason? Perhaps I'm an alarmist but it seems like a pattern emerging here....

I hope this does not become a pattern for other states to follow suit.

I think some will but some won't.

Utah and Florida I don't see them doing it. Florida makes a lot of $ from the permits. Utah it may seem so as well since 60% of their permits are nonresident. 

Man I was gonna go for the Utah and then Maine since that's where my family is from and that's where I would get the most benefit from having one. The thing is I was there last October and I open carried. I felt a little weird at first ...or felt like I must look like a big dork or something. But after a few hours I was used to it. Every now and then it would hit me that I have a full sized .45 on my hip and nobody cares! Like if you had a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve of your t-shirt I think that would've caught more attention. Only one person (not counting my relatives) had anything to say about it and she was just using it as an excuse to open the door for her to tell me all about her and her husband's gun collection.

Keep in mind my family is WAAAAY up in the mountains in a small town. I don't know how it would go over in Augusta, Portland, Kittery or one of their other bigger cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...as much as gun rights has made advances in the past years, it increasingly seems, to me at least that we're losing some ground but in the most insidious of ways.......when no one is looking.

In the past months how many states has had their ccw permits restricted for what ever reason? Perhaps I'm an alarmist but it seems like a pattern emerging here....

It could also lead to a stronger push for national carry or national reciprocity. The more patchwork it becomes the more likely it is for lots of people to support a push for it.

CCW permits are still becoming easier to get, more reciprocity, and more states are moving towards doing away with them. We're not losing ground. There have always been states that drop reciprocity when they review their policies and the policies of other states, just that Jersey people never noticed until now. 10 years ago people would tell you to renew/keep your other permit because reciprocity is always changing. That has not changed.

As for PA requiring resident permits only, who cares? People from Jersey. Now, I care, but there are more people in jersey that care enough to do something about it than in PA. And that aint a lot. I think you would find very few PA residents that are truly outraged and far fewer that are affected at all. I think you would find only a small percentage of PA permit holders and NJ non-resident permit owners that even KNOW this has happened. I've heard of people in Jersey carrying illegally in PA on FL permits unknowingly.

As for Maine requiring a permit from your home state, like PA always has, how does that affect anyone in Maine? Some mooseherding ice fisherman has to sign away his rights for a mental health background check and you tell him that people from out of state don't have to do that for the same permit. How many people need a Maine permit and can't get one from their own state? People from Jersey and MD (I don't count Hawaiians), and some NYers. At least they can still open carry in Maine.

I don't like anything that makes any of this harder for anybody. But you have to realize you are looking at this through a very specific and unusual perspective.

And, I agree about Utah. There really is no reason for Utah to pull any of this nonsense, or PA to drop non-resident Utah. Will their reciprocity agreements change? Yes, yes they will. But they are one of the best and will always be as long as things are done this way.

LePage is pretty far to the right and an avid 2A supporter.  I wonder if he will sign it.

If you also look at the article the ones pushing for tighter laws are from the south eastern portion of the state.  A.K.A. North Mass. Another state ruined by the liberal left of Masshole.

I work up in Maine quite a bit and talk with people there often.  It is a big gun state, however Massholes are invading and seriously changing the 2A position.  On the upside there is a big fall out against Susan Collins for her AWB support.  The question is, will the voting block from Portland and south over rule the more traditional Mainers and keep her in....

What I read doesn't necessarily state that out of state residents will not be able to get CCW in Maine. I'm not sure if the language of the bill specifically states that it has to be a mental health check for CCW in the home state? If not, the mental health check we go through for FID and P2P should suffice as long as Maine has some process for us providing that information. 

There might even be another angle. There are a number of states that only seem to honor permits from states that refuse issue to non-residents or require training within their state. Go look up all the states Nevada has reciprocity with. A lot of those states also have pretty darn good reciprocity, but they are not popular for non-resident for those reasons. I am a proponent of no permit carry or loosest possible restrictions but there are even people in my own PA that want tighter restrictions on PA residents to increase reciprocity. When states pass restrictions that don't affect their residents at all, I would think the backlash is even less.

I think some will but some won't.

Utah and Florida I don't see them doing it. Florida makes a lot of $ from the permits. Utah it may seem so as well since 60% of their permits are nonresident.

Fl may still issue to nj...but if states drop reciprocity one by one... What good will it really be? Aside from vacationing in fl?

Fl may still issue to nj...but if states drop reciprocity one by one... What good will it really be? Aside from vacationing in fl?

Most states will not drop reciprocity with FL. In fact quite a few will honor from any state, resident and non resident.

I think PA dropped non-resident everything except Utah, but I could be wrong (except about Utah).

Even worse than I thought..lol that was my point....chasing permits from states that still issue nr permits will be useless pretty soon for nj residents in neighboring states (other than traveling to issuing states)....just praying to sell my house before it gets too much worse and I just cut my loss and flee...lol

Went to Maine gun shop with private seller, filled out paperwork, did a nics and away I went.

I expected a time delay to run the nics but the shop said they never had a delay running a nics. So if ME and NJ access a national database, why would it be instant in Maine and take weeks in Nj? I don't know what the wait in Nj is today but in the spring it was about 2 weeks, I had heard some waited longer.

Thanks for the advice.

So if ME and NJ access a national database, why would it be instant in Maine and take weeks in Nj? I don't know what the wait in Nj is today but in the spring it was about 2 weeks, I had heard some waited longer.

Thanks for the advice.

NJ do their own verson of NICS. They claim to do extra checks against NJ data which is not available in the FBI system. They also use the FBI system for the NJ check. Mostly it is yet another way to extract money from the NJ subjects who want to buy a gun. The delay is because the State Police are not efficient enough to cope with a peak in applications and the AG doesn't give a care to how long it all takes.

Went to Maine gun shop with private seller, filled out paperwork, did a nics and away I went.

I expected a time delay to run the nics but the shop said they never had a delay running a nics. So if ME and NJ access a national database, why would it be instant in Maine and take weeks in Nj? I don't know what the wait in Nj is today but in the spring it was about 2 weeks, I had heard some waited longer.

Thanks for the advice.

its been a couple weeks since I purchased from a nj ffl....and at that point it was a 3-4 minute call

Thanks for the advice.

It's Jersey. Nobody else has those delays. Well, I did hear Colorado was having delays but I don't know their process. Never any delays in PA. A few times a year PICS (which uses NICS) might go down for several hours but that is about it.

Imagine if Obama revamped NICS to make it as user-friendly and efficient as the Obamcare website.

I think PA dropped non-resident everything except Utah, but I could be wrong (except about Utah).

That's not true.

They only dropped FL, AZ, VA. They dropped ID completely. The rest are intact, and likely to stay intact because of the McKown ruling. 

NJ do their own verson of NICS. They claim to do extra checks against NJ data which is not available in the FBI system. They also use the FBI system for the NJ check. Mostly it is yet another way to extract money from the NJ subjects who want to buy a gun. The delay is because the State Police are not efficient enough to cope with a peak in applications and the AG doesn't give a care to how long it all takes.

They also use NICS to enforce OGAM. 

That's not true.

They only dropped FL, AZ, VA. They dropped ID completely. The rest are intact, and likely to stay intact because of the McKown ruling. 

That's not true.

Handgunlaw.us says: "Arizona, Florida, Maine, Mississippi and Virginia. They have agreements that specifically states “Legal Resident of AZ, FL, ME, MS and VA. You can see the agreements Here. AZ, FL, ME, MS and VA Permit/Licenses issued to non-residents are no longer valid in PA."

Check the requirements for the other states. Not inviting.

That's not true.

Handgunlaw.us says: "Arizona, Florida, Maine, Mississippi and Virginia. They have agreements that specifically states “Legal Resident of AZ, FL, ME, MS and VA. You can see the agreements Here. AZ, FL, ME, MS and VA Permit/Licenses issued to non-residents are no longer valid in PA."

Check the requirements for the other states. Not inviting.

Read carefully. They DROPPED FL,VA,AZ for nonresidents. The others you're referring to were already resident permit only.

I'm referring to recent changes, not what was already the case.

Also, MS doesn't issue nonresident permits except to military or if you have a permit in your home state in which case getting a PA LTCF would be better.

Anyway, the only real viable option for NJ residents now is Utah.