big five

Glock or M&P

I guess I haven't said this in some time so I'll repeat it now. IMO all this stuff about getting the gun "that fits our hand" is pretty much BS. Yes some guns "feel" better than others but basing your selection of a handgun on this is not the way to go IMO. Most of my nearly 40 years as a firearms instructor has been spent in LE. During that time there has been several instances when upper management said "you will carry this, nothing else". Now with revolvers and some semi autos you can accommodate larger hands more easily than smaller hands. I have seen people put grips so large on a J frame they may as well have just carried a K frame. At the other end of the spectrum was the 4-10, 85 lb agent who shot anything well, J frame, K frame, 6906, Glock 17, 19, or 26, SIG, M4, M16, or shotgun. My hands are not that big but they are nearly twice the size of hers. If you want to shoot something well you will overcome and adapt and shoot it well. How it fits your hand should be the last consideration in selectng a handgun. If the gun has a grip shaped like a brick you can learn to shoot it well if you want to. FWIW all double column 9mms feel big to me but that doesn't prevent me from shooting them well.

Clint Smith said "carrying a handgun should be comforting not comfortable". That applies to grip as well as weight and other factors IMO.

Is the apex trigger like the haley slimmer triggerSent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Nope. The Apex Trigger (worth every penny) is completely different than the Skimmer Trigger (I call it the Scammer Trigger - No Glock will ever have a trigger like a 1911 no matter what Travis says). The two triggers are designed to do different things to different guns.

And I agree with everything Griz stated. Especially the "Comforting vs. Comfortable" statement.

Nope. The Apex Trigger (worth every penny) is completely different than the Skimmer Trigger (I call it the Scammer Trigger - No Glock will ever have a trigger like a 1911 no matter what Travis says). The two triggers are designed to do different things to different guns.

And I agree with everything Griz stated. Especially the "Comforting vs. Comfortable" statement.

to my knowledge the skimmer trigger shortens the slack..what does the apex do?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I'm also going to go with what Griz said, IF you end up going with Glock.  I have a G19 and an M&P pro.  I actually prefer the feel of the Glock in my hands over the M&P.  That said, I actually shoot the M&P a little better.  That has a lot to do with the Apex FSS Trigger I have installed in the M&P.  I use that for range/competition only because that trigger is very light and short.  I'll go with the standard answer, though... hold/shoot them both to see which you prefer and get that one.

I can grip the 17 better. But whether the 17 or 19 is not the case

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

You said 17 in your post. If you don't like the grip it has to be the length as the circumference of the 17,19, and 26 is the same. If you really need that little bit extra in the grip you can use the finger rest extensions people use on the 26 mags on the 19.

Just saying.

I have both. Both are great guns. I find the M&P to be a little more comfortable but I like the trigger on the glock better. In my experience I see more beginners shoot a glock better than anything else. Im thinking it might be the grip angle. very easy gun to control. Neither one is my favorite though. I would have to agree with the guys that say "check out the PPQ". I have a ppq as well. I like that better than both. I like xdm better as well. 

Shoot 'em both before you decide. I went with the Glock 17.......then a Glock 34........then a Glock 26. Still hate shooting any M&P but not nearly as much as I hate shooting the XD platform. Pick the one that you shoot best initially, stick with it and you'll never look back. (Although you should pick the Glock).

Why the 17? The 26 is for carry, the 34 is for IDPA and range use. The 17 hasn't been shot in a year and sits in the safe as a HD weapon, it does everything ok but doesn't excel in any one category IMHO.

I'd buy an AUSTRIAN made GLOCK over the M&P. But I like European things. M&P felt like junk when I handled it, I prefer the XD or FNS in the striker fired lineup after handling them. I am also gauging interest (perhaps you should be too) in the Taurus 24/7 lineup. They were designed for US military duty.

I think the old "comforting not comfortable" advice is slowly becoming invalid.

You can have both.

We are no longer in the age of crummy 1911's and worn out BHPs. Most modern firearms are so reliable that it makes no sense to not pick up whatever fits you best.  Sure, with training my 5ft tall wife can shoot a Desert Eagle, but why? Just because police departments are limited to what they issue, civilians or cops outside the job don't have that limitation. I despise the Glock grip angle but I can shoot them just fine. I would feel equally armed with a Glock, M&P, XD, H&K, Sig, CZ, Beretta, and the list goes on. Why in your favorite deity's name would dismiss proper personal fit as BS, all other things being equal?

Thats like saying "Here is a supermarket of healthy organic foods, but you better select that bitter kale is because it is better for you then that spinach". I happen to like kale, but I'd look funny at you if you said that.

AsNot dismissing personal fit. However, people saying "pick what fits your hand best", seem to be dismissing a lot of other more important things. Safety features, trigger action, magazine capacity and availability, sights, durability, parts and service availability, and ease and need of routine maintenance are all features that far outweigh "how it fits your hand".

And if the question was Glock or M&P or Korth or something else equally exotic that would be a fully valid concern, but the poster asked Glock or M&P  which have the same action, safeties, mag capacity, sight choices, durability, parts or whatever else.

I don't think anyone suggested a completely absurd handgun option just because it would fit a hand better.

I think the old "comforting not comfortable" advice is slowly becoming invalid.

You can have both.

We are no longer in the age of crummy 1911's and worn out BHPs. Most modern firearms are so reliable that it makes no sense to not pick up whatever fits you best.  Sure, with training my 5ft tall wife can shoot a Desert Eagle, but why? Just because police departments are limited to what they issue, civilians or cops outside the job don't have that limitation. I despise the Glock grip angle but I can shoot them just fine. I would feel equally armed with a Glock, M&P, XD, H&K, Sig, CZ, Beretta, and the list goes on. Why in your favorite deity's name would dismiss proper personal fit as BS, all other things being equal?

Thats like saying "Here is a supermarket of healthy organic foods, but you better select tohat bitter kale is because it is better for you then that spinach". I happen to like kale, but I'd look funny at you if you said that.

When I say "comforting vs comfortable" I am referring more to the folks who chose what they CC based of how comfortable it is to carry vs how effective (ie: comforting) it is. The folks that carry a .25/.32/.380 because is slips in a pocket, is small, is light, and is "comfortable" without thinking about how effective their choice wil be if they ever actually need it. Folks that complain a G19 is "too heavy" or that concealing a full size gun is too hard even though the instant the skin it, they will wish they had a little more gun in their hands.

I agree that there are enough reliable options out there that finding one that fits you the most comfortably, while not a mandatory characteristic, is certainly a viable criteria after reliability and accuracy.

If I was the OP I would buy a Browning HP or a CZ/CZ clone as my first pistol. It's what I did. Full size, METAL gun, preferably with a safety. 15rds of JHP 9mm's for home defense and the gun never really ages. I would never feel under gunned carrying a CZ-75B with 2 extra mags. I do want a poly 9mm myself but I don't think they're the "BEST" first gun. 

And if the question was Glock or M&P or Korth or something else equally exotic that would be a fully valid concern, but the poster asked Glock or M&P  which have the same action, safeties, mag capacity, sight choices, durability, parts or whatever else.

I don't think anyone suggested a completely absurd handgun option just because it would fit a hand better.

Everything isn't equal. Glock's durability and reliability are legendary. If any of the other handguns could stand up to the abuses Glock has demonstrated it can take I'm sure you'd see torture tests of S&Ws, H&Ks, SIGs, and all the rest. Remember the Border Patrolman who had the grip break off his H&K when he fell on it? My opinion of Glock is based on personally overseeing a couple of hundred of them

and having updated knowledge of several thousand of them in use by the agency I worked for. If you throw out the rare bad magazine, I had one stop shooting because of poor maintenance and one where I had to replace the recoil spring and guide because the guide rod broke. The gun kept shooting with the broken guide rod and it was discovered when cleaning.

Some of the tests in vladtepes link are a bit ridiculous but the gun kept running.

That doesn't mean the rest are junk. If you're buying your first 9mm and want to last it should be a Glock. If you want the best all around size get the 19.

JMO.

Everything isn't equal. Glock's durability and reliability are legendary. If any of the other handguns could stand up to the abuses Glock has demonstrated it can take I'm sure you'd see torture tests of S&Ws, H&Ks, SIGs, and all the rest. Remember the Border Patrolman who had the grip break off his H&K when he fell on it? My opinion of Glock is based on personally overseeing a couple of hundred of them

and having updated knowledge of several thousand of them in use by the agency I worked for. If you throw out the rare bad magazine, I had one stop shooting because of poor maintenance and one where I had to replace the recoil spring and guide because the guide rod broke. The gun kept shooting with the broken guide rod and it was discovered when cleaning.

Some of the tests in vladtepes link are a bit ridiculous but the gun kept running.

That doesn't mean the rest are junk. If you're buying your first 9mm and want to last it should be a Glock. If you want the best all around size get the 19.

JMO.

that is why I carry Glock.. I believe in it... I KNOW there are other guns that are nicer to shoot... maybe ergonomics better... or smoother trigger.. but bury them in salt and sand for a week and shoot them with another gun.. see if they still run?

I will be honest.. I dropped my Glock once... loaded one in the chamber.. went bouncing across the asphalt in my driveway.. picked it up.. wiped it off and went on my way.. no discharge.. no scratches.. they are truly amazing when it comes to a gun you will do anything to and trust to keep working..