HBecwithFn7

Back Pack vs. Range Bag

I'm curious as to the design evolution of the current "range bag." I bought a range bag (Cabela's bag), but I'm finding that it's where most of my cleaning supplies are going. :) So I need something else. I'm thinking I don't want a "logo" range bag (i.e. one with any mfgr's logo on it), so as not to draw attention to what might be inside it. Currently, I use a Deep Outdoors "messenger type bag." It's wide enough that I can include one of my guns, still encased in its mini-safe.

I've been thinking about a back pack like this one. I could carry both of my guns (still inside their mini-safes), but I notice that not many of us use a back pack/ruck sack in which to transport our guns to/from the range.  Is there something inherently bad about them that owners don't like/use them? Are they "bad firearms etiquette" or something? :) Is there more a concern about them being "cut/ripped off" than the classic range bag?  I was just wondering what makes the current range bag so "canonical" among gun owners?

Thanks. :)

when I'm going to Cherry Ridge and need to have everything I need on me, I use a Hazard 4 Ditch bag with the Removable Flap which just looks like a laptop bag but has room for 2 cased pistols, targets, first aid supplies, knife, multi-tool, and some ammo. I really like that bag, especially since it doesn't scream "GUN BAG". If I need to carry a bit more gear and don't really need all the other stuff, I use a backpack that's big enough to hold 3 cased pistols and about 500 rds of 9mm.

I found a tool bag at Advanced Auto Parts that works great - heavy nylon, a ton of pockets and it's inconspicuous. It was like $25. I wish it was a little bigger, but I've seen these all over at Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I plan on picking up one of these tool bags...http://t.harborfreight.com/20-inch-rollaway-tool-bag-3264.html. Keep a few tools that you may need visible in the outer pockets and most wouldn't give it a second look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Over the years, I've used all sorts of things, but if you want to bring a bunch of stuff to the range there is no substitute for a purpose build shooting bag.

Range bags like those made by CED, iSHOT, Shooters Connection, Green Mountain, etc are actually designed to take significant beating, protected you gear, fit and organize your stuff. Yes, they cost more. They also will last you a life time.

I use a CED "Professional Range Bag" which costs about $80 and it has seen a LOT of range time, but if clean up and dust it off it still looks like new after 12 years.

There's always something like this. A backpack range bag.

Posted Image

http://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-GPS-1711BP-Handgunner-Backpack-Black/dp/B00A5C17GO

My dad has one it's great, I'm looking to pick one up to replace my beretta duffle

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

I'm a big fan of LA Police Gear BOB bags....I've been using the large for years now but thinking of the XL in the future....more guns so more gear as well as an additional caliber of spare ammo.

I'm a big fan of LA Police Gear BOB bags....I've been using the large for years now but thinking of the XL in the future....more guns so more gear as well as an additional caliber of spare ammo.

This ^^

I have two if these in standard size and one XL. Well made (even though I'm leary of the plastic hardware, it hasn't failed me), with plenty of pockets. The XL is my USPSA bag - I carry everything I need for a day of competition, plus two water bottles and lunch.

There's always something like this.  A backpack range bag.

41Qgmjk-keL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-GPS-1711BP-Handgunner-Backpack-Black/dp/B00A5C17GO

Someday, in my dreams Alex.... someday.... :D :D :D  I'll put it on the "wish list" for now.

Anyway, thanks much folks. I did go with the backpack I mentioned. Hopefully, just the "right size" for now. :)

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to bring to the range.

If you are just bringing a handgun in it's factory box, and a few boxes of ammo - by all means, use a back pack.

If you want an organized, functional range bag - Buy a dedicated bag.

IMO one of the best range bag on the market is brownells range bag, a bit pricey - but very high quality .

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/range-bags/signature-series-deluxe-range-bag-prod19495.aspx

l_084000118_1.jpg

If your on a budget, try the midway bags, they are 40 or 50 bucks... But they fall apart quickly.

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to bring to the range.

If you are just bringing a handgun in it's factory box, and a few boxes of ammo - by all means, use a back pack.

If you want an organized, functional range bag - Buy a dedicated bag.

IMO one of the best range bag on the market is brownells range bag, a bit pricey - but very high quality .

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/range-bags/signature-series-deluxe-range-bag-prod19495.aspx

l_084000118_1.jpg

If your on a budget, try the midway bags, they are 40 or 50 bucks... But they fall apart quickly.

The original question I had was, "How did this particular design evolve and become the canonical standard among range users?" It's all I ever see people using on (at least) indoor ranges. Does it actually carry more than a back pack? Are the "compartments" and the ability to separate items what make it work? I would have thought that using a back pack vs. one of these would keep ones hands free in the event they are needed for something... No jokes please... :D 

I'm curious as to the design evolution of the current "range bag." I bought a range bag (Cabela's bag), but I'm finding that it's where most of my cleaning supplies are going. :) So I need something else. I'm thinking I don't want a "logo" range bag (i.e. one with any mfgr's logo on it), so as not to draw attention to what might be inside it. Currently, I use a Deep Outdoors "messenger type bag." It's wide enough that I can include one of my guns, still encased in its mini-safe.

I've been thinking about a back pack like this one. I could carry both of my guns (still inside their mini-safes), but I notice that not many of us use a back pack/ruck sack in which to transport our guns to/from the range.  Is there something inherently bad about them that owners don't like/use them? Are they "bad firearms etiquette" or something? :) Is there more a concern about them being "cut/ripped off" than the classic range bag?  I was just wondering what makes the current range bag so "canonical" among gun owners?

Thanks. :)

I bought that bag for emergency items and when it arrived... it looked pretty small so I gave it to the wife. It looks better on her petite frame.

I ended up getting the SOC 3 day pass for myself. It's got decent storage and compartments.

http://www.amazon.com/SOC-Gear-Three-Day-Pass/dp/B004I82R38

The original question I had was, "How did this particular design evolve and become the canonical standard among range users?" It's all I ever see people using on (at least) indoor ranges. Does it actually carry more than a back pack? Are the "compartments" and the ability to separate items what make it work? I would have thought that using a back pack vs. one of these would keep ones hands free in the event they are needed for something... No jokes please... :D

Yes. You have compartments sized to fit guns, compartments sized to feed mags complete with loops for them, compartments designed to fit standard ammo boxes, etc. Think of it this way, you can shove wrenches in a burlap sack, but a toolbox works better because it is designed for it. They are rigid and dont sag, deform, or act oddly when lots ammo and crap is shoved into them.

Yes they are better then a backpack, in the same way a pickup truck is better at hauling dirt then mid size sedan. You can do it in both, but one works better.

Yes. You have compartments sized to fit guns, compartments sized to feed mags complete with loops for them, compartments designed to fit standard ammo boxes, etc. Think of it this way, you can shove wrenches in a burlap sack, but a toolbox works better because it is designed for it. They are rigid and dont sag, deform, or act oddly when lots ammo and crap is shoved into them.

Yes they are better then a backup, in the same way a pickup truck is better at hauling dirt then mid size sedan. You can do it in both, but one works better.

Well, the pack I ordered just arrived, and you (and some others) were absolutely right!  A lot more narrow (width) and thinner         than the picture would have one believe. Less room, it seems than the Deep Outdoors messenger pack I currently have.  And the straps are quite confusing... even more so than my old SCUBA Buoyancy Compensator. :icon_rolleyes: No wonder the "linear dimensions"  aren't listed on the Amazon page. And, like you say, there aren't internal compartments for mags and ammo boxes.

Still, it did fit both of my two mini-safes in the main compartment, zipped up, with a little room at the top to spare. But I wonder if I could pack anything else in it. I'm sure I'll either find a use for it (or sell it), but I think I need to look at something else. I'd love to get the GPS backpack Alex mentioned, but it's a little expensive right now. That's almost 3 trips to the range.  :)

Perhaps, after I do my taxes. :D

This is the one I have and recommend : http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-Professional-Range-Bag.html

CED%20Professional%20Range%20Bag_2.gif

Now that looks like a great alternative as well as their knapsack...first I'm hearing of them .Thanks for the resource.

CED are well known in competition circles, you see a lot of their gear in USPSA and so on. The make solid bags, good timers, race holsters etc. We beat up our gear, specially the range bags that get tossed all over the place so we care about good bags. The one I linked is not overly large but I can fill it with 50lb of ammo and still holds its shape. As I said, I've had it for about 12 years of competition use and still works.

Lately for pistol matches I've switching to a much smaller Maxpedition FatBoy that holds gun, ammo, water, glasses, and a snack and not much else, but I have spare parts in a bag in the car. For 3gun and bigger matches I still drag out the CED bag, full of ammo and parts and tools and whatever else.

This is the one I have and recommend : http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-Professional-Range-Bag.html

CED%20Professional%20Range%20Bag_2.gif

Same As I use. Fits 2 handguns, 1 conversion kit. A full cleaning kit. Bore snakes, 9 Mags small tool kit. Eyes Ears. Range ID badges. Stapler and targets. plus still room for a couple bottles of water. All neat and tidy.   Ammo in A ammo box.  Mine came from Midway

Yep Midway sells it and they also sell a self branded version thats like $30 cheaper but last a lot less time. So give Midway your business for their support of pro-gun causes, but don't buy crappy version they sell, but the higher end version.

Nah...I have my issues with Midway so I'd rather buy directly from the manufacturer and pay full boat than deal with smiling Larry.