Norseman

Is gun ownership on the decline?

I've been pretty extroverted about my 2A support. Heck until all this snow came down and crashed everything got buried I had these on my lawn...

2A_Lg.jpg

Benjamin_Franklin_Liberty_Lg.jpg

George_Roman_Lg.jpg

Gun_Control_Lg.jpg

Hitler_Lg.jpg

James_Wilson_SNBQ_Lg.jpg

Noah_Webster_Disarmed_Lg.jpg

Noah_Webster_Sword_Lg.jpg

Patrick_Henry_Degradation_Lg.jpg

They'll get replaced or fixed once I can find them... probably in August. :)

More now than ever I'd say... my buddy got me into it, and I've since gotten two more into shooting. 

As far as talking about gun ownership, I won't bring it up, but I won't deny it if asked either. I'm very open about my ownership, but I don't blab about it to people who don't ask, or don't care.

WP Range is standing room only every single weekend and there is never not 5 people doing new paperwork at the desk every time I am there. Is a little 'ol range in NJ an indicative measurement of gun growth? I dunno but that place is a BOOMING success.

If he opens more ranges it's just more and more new shooters. I wish I could buy stock in Gun For Hire.

CNN is lying their a** off.

Pretty much all evidence is against the whole gun ownership is on the decline. For example 1 in 5 new target shooters only started in the last year.

http://www.nssfblog.com/americas-new-target-shooters-younger-female-and-urban/

At minimum they may be able to claim that gun ownership has remained steady.

evnqew-dck2danxxxi_caa.png Personally my vote goes for that as people are becoming more untrusting of the government/realizing that some criminals can be very savvy, are not going to answer truthfully so the real numbers are increasing

Also, the gss is about 90 minutes long. I did a Gallup survey with a similar length to the gun ownership questions, and it is still a good 20 minutes of your time. Regardless of the topic, I'm going to guess employed people with kids are under represented in responses. Just saying.

A recent mouse click cow top ten list on Market Watch .com (i'm not going to insult with the link to the garbage) claimed that run ownership is on the rise. I guess it all depends on what bs angle best suits your audience.

Aw hell, here's the link. At least the relevant info is on the first page. The rest of the garbGe will make you cringe.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-things-the-gun-industry-wont-tell-you-2014-03-07?link=MW_popular

Great call out of those CNN scumbags. You and the 3 other viewers get a constant barrage of this blatantly biased non-news.

But the public service you performed is highlighting a big problem with our ability to push back against those that want to gut our foundation document and by extension, our rights as guaranteed by that document.

We are simply too homogenous a demographic.

We need to make a concerted effort to bring others into our hobby/sport/exercising of our 2nd amendment rights. It was great to see the many members above doing their own outreach programs. That needs to grow exponentially. One example:

In my business when there was a birthday I would take the person and his fellow workers to lunch. It was a long standing tradition. Late last year I changed the tradition slightly, now several of us take the person to WP range and shoot for awhile, hang out and have lunch. We, I now have 4 people that are members on my staff, bring a bunch of guns and explain how great the range is because of the cafe and then explain the ridiculous laws. Starting with how we could only do this because it was our place of business where we came from and how we all made sure we had full tanks before loading guns in the cars etc etc etc...

The demographic in my business is varied and I've brought everyone from 20-something "millennials" to a Vietnam vet who hasn't picked up a "Piece of shit plastic gun" since he gave his up for a pump shotgun in some jungle a long time ago. Next week is a long time employee that lives an alternative lifestyle.

Sitting around preaching to the choir can be our undoing. Especially when we start talking about our current administration etc... We have a protocol that we highlight the silly laws and not the lawmakers. Many of the people we have brought may have voted for these gun grabbers so we try to respect that and focus instead on the laws. We eventually get to the reason for these laws existing and to a one, they have an "a-ha" moment. It's a subtle process. One that is aided by the fun and excitement they just had.

Haven't had a bad experience yet. Keeping fingers crossed. We have been responsible for 7 new FIDs.

Haven't had a bad experience yet. Keeping fingers crossed. We have been responsible for 7 new FIDs.

I Open Carry most of the time. On two occasions I had women ask me about it in public because they were considering carrying a handgun for protection. Well, I have one of those milk-crate file boxes in my trunk and I keep a few sets of License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) applications along with printouts of directions to the Sheriff's office and hours, and URLs of websites for information on firearms and training. Both of them got their LTCF (I actually ran into them fairly often). I got one of my friends to get his LTCF and I'm sure that resulted in his two sons getting them since one is .mil and they are a casual gun owning household. Those are the only ones I remember that I know for sure but so many people have asked me about carry and how it works that I'm sure I inspired others to get LTCF.

Where do you open carry??

Mostly Lehigh Valley, but the entire eastern half of PA. From the Poconos to Philly, State College to Lancaster and Harrisburg, to the Maryland and WV border areas. I usually don't OC when I travel outside the Commonwealth unless it's rural activity.

There was a school group discussion on Gun Control held at Drexel this past Wednesday. Only four people ended up showing - including myself. 

One student started out with the assertion that guns make people egotistical, and immediately cited the rhetoric of hypothetical road rage resulting in violence because a gun was handy. I responded by saying that somebody who is willing to kill someone over a traffic dispute is not likely to follow the laws that say it is illegal for him to carry weapons to begin with. I also introduced to them the history of "Shall Issue" and how 44 states have adopted the policy, further disproving the perception of trigger-happy gun nuts breaking into frequent shootouts. 

After explaining the law and the real meaning of the Second Amendment, they eventually became disgusted with gun control. I learned that any reasonable, open-minded person will stand for gun rights once informed. Misinformation, irrationality, and stubbornness are the only things holding back the prevalence gun ownership in this county. But the Anti-Gun lobby can only go so far as to inhibit critical thinking, which is why I believe that more people will become gun owners as the word gets out.

Besides, nobody can deny that guns are just awesome to have.  :good:

I met a guy last night who was in the air force and said he used to go to the range at least every few months. He grew up in PA and everyone in his family had guns. But now he's married and his wife abhors guns. I told him get in touch with me and we will try to get her to the range. She overheard and was like "I'll never go!" I want to help this guy so he can win her over and get back into the sport. He lives in Woodbridge. Anybody know what the wait time is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just look at any gun range now and how many people are there to shoot. I'm also trying my best to get some of my non shooting friends into the sport. Little by little it's working.

You telling me... try to go to any indoor range in NJ on the weekend. It's stuffed to the gills!

And this is in NJ, the state with the lowest rate of gun ownership in the country.

Anyone know if Obamacare covers Hoplophobia?

Yes, it provides $1.5 million for a House run and $5 million for Senate run.

BTW - that's not a joke (although I pulled the numbers out of my rear). Obamacare gives billions of dollars to expand semi-political leftist organizations in voting campaigns as part of "community outreach."

You won't believe how much money will be spent in the 2016 election. And most of it will be taxpayer money spent by the government.

But now he's married and his wife abhors guns. I told him get in touch with me and we will try to get her to the range. She overheard and was like "I'll never go!"

This is the biggest obstacle I run into. A lot of guys are interested in guns but can't get the wives to agree.

My wife wasn't anti...but she wasn't pro either.  She was pretty ambivalent on the matter until she took an intro course and got to fire a few rounds.  Now, after putting a few hundred .22LR downrange, well....she wants her own .380. 

My wife wasn't anti...but she wasn't pro either.  She was pretty ambivalent on the matter until she took an intro course and got to fire a few rounds.  Now, after putting a few hundred .22LR downrange, well....she wants her own .380. 

We're getting closer. I'm taking my mother to the range this week. As it turns out, she owns a Walther PPK .22LR. New-in-Box, never fired before. She's had it for some time. She just needed a little training. If that works out, then I may very well reach my goal of getting my sister to let me mentor my nephew. 

My wife took the Handgun 101 for Women Only at HG.  $67 includes an hour of classroom time learning about firearms (operation and safety) followed by 30-45 minutes on the range with a revolver and semi-auto (both .22lr).  The class is taught by a woman to eliminate the "testosterone intolerance factor" that some women may have. 

that course is what made my wife decide to pursue a hobby in shooting.

I met a guy last night who was in the air force and said he used to go to the range at least every few months. He grew up in PA and everyone in his family had guns. But now he's married and his wife abhors guns. I told him get in touch with me and we will try to get her to the range. She overheard and was like "I'll never go!" I want to help this guy so he can win her over and get back into the sport. He lives in Woodbridge. Anybody know what the wait time is there?

Tell him that for a mere $30 his wife can attend the next NRA Women's Day at the Range at Old Bridge on this May 31st!  It runs 2/3 of a day and includes all the ammo she can shoot, instruction on rifle, pistol, shotgun and black powder.  Targets range from silhouettes to static steel to stationary clay birds.  Maybe even an exploding target??  Lunch is INCLUDED, and eyes and ears are provided as well!  Woodbridge is just 15 minutes down the road!

Dave

Women's Day Volunteer Instructor

My wife took the Handgun 101 for Women Only at HG.  $67 includes an hour of classroom time learning about firearms (operation and safety) followed by 30-45 minutes on the range with a revolver and semi-auto (both .22lr).  The class is taught by a woman to eliminate the "testosterone intolerance factor" that some women may have. 

that course is what made my wife decide to pursue a hobby in shooting.

My mom is signing up for it as we speak. :D

Tell him that for a mere $30 his wife can attend the next NRA Women's Day at the Range at Old Bridge on this May 31st! It runs 2/3 of a day and includes all the ammo she can shoot, instruction on rifle, pistol, shotgun and black powder. Targets range from silhouettes to static steel to stationary clay birds. Maybe even an exploding target?? Lunch is INCLUDED, and eyes and ears are provided as well! Woodbridge is just 15 minutes down the road!

Dave

Women's Day Volunteer Instructor

Nice!! I'll do my best to help him get her there!

According to The Wall Street Journal," the gun industry is booming, mostly thanks to Obama:  http://live.wsj.com/video/five-things-the-gun-industry-wont-tell-you-2014-03-10/9F0F1B3E-B7D2-412A-9865-8D6AB705DE46.html#!9F0F1B3E-B7D2-412A-9865-8D6AB705DE46

"Even before the Newtown school shooting, sales of guns and ammunition were on the rise..." ~2 minute mark.

According to The Wall Street Journal," the gun industry is booming, mostly thanks to Obama:  http://live.wsj.com/video/five-things-the-gun-industry-wont-tell-you-2014-03-10/9F0F1B3E-B7D2-412A-9865-8D6AB705DE46.html#!9F0F1B3E-B7D2-412A-9865-8D6AB705DE46

"Even before the Newtown school shooting, sales of guns and ammunition were on the rise..." ~2 minute mark.

I saw that video this morning and was disappointed with the anti-gun slant. It's the sort of thing I would have expected from the NYT.

For those who don't want to watch the whole thing, it's "The top 5 things the gun industry won't tell you."

1: "It's not the guns, it's the bullets."

2: "There's no criminal background check for people on the terrorist watch list." People on the list tried to buy guns and explosives 1200 times between 2004 and 2010 and were successful 91% of the time. (I wonder how they figured that out, given the list is supposed to be secret.)

3. "When it comes to politics, the gun industry is unbeatable." For refutation, see NJ. In 2011-2012 election cycle, the NRA spent $19MM on senate and house campaigns. How does this compare with what Bloomberg spent?

4: "Owning a gun is statisticaly bad for your health." People with guns in the home are 3x as likely to commit suicide and 2x as likely to be a victim of homicide than those without access to guns.

5: "Obama is the best thing to happen to gun sales in decades." Amen.

I'm most concerned with 4. This is based on a January Annals of Internal Medicine article, which I'll try to dig up. I wonder what the quality of that research is, and if we can come up with refutation points.

3: