Blake

Fair price for once fired brass?

Hey guys, can you give me a fair price to ask for once fired factory brass that is dirty and still has the primer in it?  I have been saving my brass thinking I would start reloading but my would be workshop is further out then I expected.  

I have 9, 40, 45, and 556 mostly.  Small amounts of .308, 6.5 grendel, and .30 carbine.  All factory brass or nickel cases fired once.

Thanks!

Hey guys, can you give me a fair price to ask for once fired factory brass that is dirty and still has the primer in it?  I have been saving my brass thinking I would start reloading but my would be workshop is further out then I expected.  

I have 9, 40, 45, and 556 mostly.  Small amounts of .308, 6.5 grendel, and .30 carbine.  All factory brass or nickel cases fired once.

Thanks!

How much do you have?

Unless you want to go through all that work yellow brass scrap prices are around $1.30 to around $1.60 a pound. 30lbs around 40 bucks

NEVER SCRAP BRASS!!!

Just give it to some one who will use it.

lol same thing for me.  I have a ton of dirty brass... I posted it for sale a while ago, no bites...

Did you separate it by caliber? 

I can tell you right now that .40 is going for between $42 and $52 sorted, cleaned, and shipped. 

Once fired .223 is going for $80 - $86 per k. 

Here are cartridge weights per 1000

380 Auto- 8.5 lbs

9mm-9 lbs

357 Sig-10 lbs

38 SPL-10 lbs

357 Mag-12 lbs.

10mm-11 lbs.

40 S&W-10 lbs.

45 ACP-12.5 lbs

223 13.25lbs

You want to sell me unprocessed unsorted brass, you better not charge much over scrap prices. You sort it, and scrap isn't even close.  Scrap is $1.40 a lb (and good luck with that, some places give you less than market due to them having primers in them, some will only give undifferentiated scrap prices because they claim they are hazardous or some other BS).  Just take .40 for example. the large flat rate box will hold 4k. You offer it shipped for  $140, someone will probably take it off your hands pretty quick. Thats about $3.12 a pound for the brass. about 2000 .223 will fit in there. Sell it for the same 140, that's $4.70 a pound. 

Mixed up, you better be able to specify a rough percentage of what calibers, and offer it pretty cheap. Nobody is going to pay a premium for a pile of brass that nets them a quart bag of this and a quart bag of that that and they are only going to use one of the many varieties. Mainly because it is not worth shipping the quart bag anywhere as it makes the brass too expensive. You can sort a pretty large amount of brass in one evening by hand with some nitrile gloves, a file folder box top, and a handful of cardboard boxes. 

I can certainly sort it, but i dont know what to do with it other than that.  I dont have a tumbler or whatever else you use to clean/de-prime them.... 

So what would sorted, but dirty, still primed brass be worth?  Honestly I really could care less at this point as there are just bags of them in my house taking up room lol

Ill have to sort them when I get a chance then Ill count them out and see what it looks like...

I can certainly sort it, but i dont know what to do with it other than that.  I dont have a tumbler or whatever else you use to clean/de-prime them.... 

So what would sorted, but dirty, still primed brass be worth?  Honestly I really could care less at this point as there are just bags of them in my house taking up room lol

Ill have to sort them when I get a chance then Ill count them out and see what it looks like...

DOn't bother counting, just weigh it and go a little over weight to deal with any dirt or debris. As for packing, something along the lines of gallon ziplock bags nto so full you can't fold the top over and tape them. OR something similar. Stick in flat rate box and tape the crap out of it. 

I suspect if you hit a price that equates to about $35/k shipped the .40 will go like that. With pricing similar to current, for .40 brass just sorted, I've paid about $30 face to face and $35 shipped, and there were at least a few folks lined up behind me if I didn't want it. The .45 will be more. THe only two places I found it in stock is $79 and $99 per k mixed yellow. DAYUM! I guess it doesn't come up at government auctions, which is a source for a lot of this in bulk. Also 9mm is going for more than .40 everywhere. Between $45 and $55 cleaned, sorted, and delivered. Knock 10% off and there are plenty of folks with tumblers who'll take the 10% for having to do something they are doing anyway with their range pickup. 

jsut put once fired brass <insert caliber here> in google or bing or whatever and click through to a few of the sites and se what the places who claim to have stock are charging. I'd use brassmanbrass.com as a reality check. They ahve been around forever, and there isn't usually a market for significantly higher priced brass than they carry.