maintenanceguy

Where to buy 80% lower in bricks and mortar shop?

I'm really not that interested in owning an AR.   But with the recent raid over 80% lowers in CA, and the recently revealed ATF letter that seems to indicate that just having the tools to complete one requires a license, I'm thinking I might want to get an 80% receiver and just stick it on the shelf incase I ever decide to try this.

So, is there any bricks and mortar store that sells these where a guy could pay cash?   If the AFT if looking for customer records, I'd rather not be on any records.

theres also a whole lot of misinformation going around about this.  and it still does not seem that the ATF has changed their stance on aluminum 80% lowers.  the companies  made polymer lowers that were two separate pieces that you could finish pretty easily with a dremel.  i don't care that they did this, but apparently the ATF considered those firearms.  i'd probably agree. if an aluminum one was 80% and 80%is the threshold when it becomes a firearm, then the polymer ones at a minimum were 81% so they should be considered firearms.  

(i don't mean to infer by this statement that i think 81% lowers should be regulated any more than an 80% lower though)

they are also mostly popular in california to get around their gun laws.  think about it, why worry in PA where you can get a AR face to face with no paper train on the secondary market.  its not as big of a sales pitch to "make your own unregistered firearm" to anyone except the guy that likes to make stuff himself. 

I am confused, what is the allure of an 80% lower anyway?  Seems like entirely too much work for zero gain and 100% exposure to potential problems....

what is the upside?

FYI this is NOT a loaded question..I just do not see the benefit etc......

Personally, I could see the allure of finishing one just to say I did. But the guys buying them by the dozen make me go, "Huh?"

I am confused, what is the allure of an 80% lower anyway?  Seems like entirely too much work for zero gain and 100% exposure to potential problems....

what is the upside?

Lets say our genius legislators one day make a law banning any form of an AR, labeling them as assault rifles, and that they all must be confiscated, with no grandfathering.  If the state police or ATF come into your shop...there is a paper trail leading to me saying I own a lower receiver.  Then the state police come knocking to confiscate the "assault weapon".   With a 80% lower- you can't confiscate something you don't know I own. 

It's also kind of fun to build something yourself.  It's like taking assembling a lower receiver to the next level. 

Lets say our genius legislators one day make a law banning any form of an AR, labeling them as assault rifles, and that they all must be confiscated, with no grandfathering.  If the state police or ATF come into your shop...there is a paper trail leading to me saying I own a lower receiver.  Then the state police come knocking to confiscate the "assault weapon".   With a 80% lower- you can't confiscate something you don't know I own. 

It's also kind of fun to build something yourself.  It's like taking assembling a lower receiver to the next level. 

One can say "I sold that rifle, and I forgot who I sold it too". Then what?

I'm a diy'r. To me the allure would be to do finish one and then shoot it and be proud of my work. Could then also send it out to be coated a cool color or whatever my heart desires.

The fact that it isn't logged anywhere and that it wouldn't be subjected to some sort of possible confiscation just happens to be a bonus in my book.

For what it's worth I would probably buy 2 because chances are I would screw the first one up.

As for other people I don't know what their reasons are for buying one.

theres also a whole lot of misinformation going around about this.  and it still does not seem that the ATF has changed their stance on aluminum 80% lowers.  the companies  made polymer lowers that were two separate pieces that you could finish pretty easily with a dremel.  i don't care that they did this, but apparently the ATF considered those firearms.  i'd probably agree. if an aluminum one was 80% and 80%is the threshold when it becomes a firearm, then the polymer ones at a minimum were 81% so they should be considered firearms.  

(i don't mean to infer by this statement that i think 81% lowers should be regulated any more than an 80% lower though)

they are also mostly popular in california to get around their gun laws.  think about it, why worry in PA where you can get a AR face to face with no paper train on the secondary market.  its not as big of a sales pitch to "make your own unregistered firearm" to anyone except the guy that likes to make stuff himself. 

There is no "threshold," neither 80% nor 81% mean anything, and ATF has no "stance" on 80% aluminum lowers. Just to help you squash the "misinformation going around about this." ;)

There is no "threshold," neither 80% nor 81% mean anything, and ATF has no "stance" on 80% aluminum lowers. Just to help you squash the "misinformation going around about this." ;)

At what point of completion is that chunk of aluminum considered a firearm then? 

At what point of completion is that chunk of aluminum considered a firearm then? 

there is some magic line when it is "too finished" I am not sure where the line is.. situation is moot in NJ since you can not manufacture a firearm in NJ without a license.. 

When the ATF says so. There's no standard or definition.

The ATF is not a legislative body, so they can't just say "that's a firearm and that isn't". 

Is there a law on the books that constitutes what is considered a firearm, and what isn't? 

what is the upside?

paperweight

The ATF is not a legislative body, so they can't just say "that's a firearm and that isn't". 

Is there a law on the books that constitutes what is considered a firearm, and what isn't? 

while they are not a legislative body they generally decide on things that are not "clear"

then why is 80% what they are selling?  why not sell one totally milled out except for the trigger and hammer holes?  I'm not arguing, I'm asking.  

as to the atf stance on 80% lowers. i meant that they weren't arresting people for illegal selling firearms.  

then why is 80% what they are selling?  why not sell one totally milled out except for the trigger and hammer holes?  I'm not arguing, I'm asking.  

as to the atf stance on 80% lowers. i meant that they weren't arresting people for illegal selling firearms.  

"80% lower" is not a mathematical determination of the amount completed... it is more a common term to label what partially finished lowers are called... there must have been a point in time where the ATF stated a lower with "this much work done to it" is already a "complete lower" and needing to drill out the holes was not enough manufacturing to constitute a non firearm... at which point the industry said "well what if the inside is not milled out".. the ATF recognizing that there is a point where parts are not guns agreed at that line.. this is just an assumption based on what I see sold as %80 lower..