Blacksmythe

Gun Prices in NJ and the ridiculousness of putting up with it.

Depends on the manufacturer  and market demand.  I know Rugers as an example have a larger than usual industry margin.  Try "Gun Genie" and before you buy call the retailer and see what the price would be.  I have heard on occasions where the retailer quoted a better price than the "genie". 

You have to shop around, whether it's a $25 blender or a $2500 rifle. Margins on new guns are small, and keeping an inventory ties up a lot of capital. I'd guess many dealers make more on transfer fees than they would, all things considered, on a $200 rifle.

Small shops have to charge more because they have relatively low turnover, but must still maintain an inventory to be anywhere near competitive.

This market (including gunsmithing) is a lot like finding a good auto mechanic or body shop. You get burned if you don't do your homework and comparison shopping.

Theres pro's and con's to everything. I was in an LGS on Sunday and they happen to have the exact Henry 22 I was looking for. (black receiver with octagonal barrel) It was $75 more then online. Consider this is not a $1k rifle mind you. I decided I wanted it that day and would pay the full price so I walked back in........well, silly me forgot that you can not purchase a gun on Sundays (is that nationwide or just jersey?) So I would have had to come back anyway. So I went home and ordered it online. 

Fast forward, its now Thursday and the online seller hasnt even shipped it yet. (within 3-7 days it will ship) In the end Ill save ~$60 total after NICS and transfer but I have to wait what is seeming like FOOOORRRREEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRR lol. 

If NICS was open I would have been a LGS customer and had my rifle in hand already as there is a value to cash and carry. 

Here's a prime example of why shopping around is important:

I ran a Gun Genie search for a GP100, 3" .38spl, MSRP $729

The local quotes ranged from $644 to $747 (final price, out the door).

A quick search online found it for $569.99 plus shipping ($35, think). Even if shipping were free, you're still looking at right around $600 after NICS.

I'd rather pay a few extra bucks to support a local (in this case, Jim Flynn, Hacketstown and a couple of other shops came in at that price). The $644 price is actually $589 +tax +NICS. That's totally fair comparable to what's online.

But I can't imagine going to the shops coming in at or above MSRP. Supporting local is one thing, wasting money is another.

No offense, but these threads kill me. 

"I can buy it on the interwebs cheaper".  No shit.  Interwebs = no inventory, no overhead and no footprint in most cases.  You order, they contact distributor, distributor ships to you and the site makes $20.  AWESOME!  You got a cheap item!

The local shop has to keep inventory, a footprint, supplies, pay taxes, pay employees, give you advice, and make some money.  You do know they opened their store to make money right?  Well F them!  I can save $50!  Wahoo!

Fast forward, and my $50 cheaper gun now needs to be worked on.  No big deal, I will just swing by the LGS and have it fixed.  Oh shit.  They are out of business because of people like me.

Now about that pesky trickle down economy where the money spent at a local store gets spent with a local carpenter who spends it at a local restaurant where the waitress spends it at the auto shop and the cash keeps flowing around.

That extra $50 you spend will go a lot further in a local economy and probably will come back to you, when someone in the chain uses the services or product that you or the company you work for provides.  The Interwebs guy is not coming to your hometown to hire you to fix his toilet, so buh bye money!

Let a retail shop earn their money and support them.  If you go in to a shop and pick their brains and finger bang their guns, have the decency to buy from them, or they won't be there when you need them and our "race to the bottom" economy will arrive at the bottom faster than you think, and you and your $50 cheaper gun will be sitting in the shit stew that was created.

^Good post.

I've said this several times on this and other forums: if the difference is less than $50-60 don't be cheap, support the local guys.

If you're talking about hundreds of $ difference, than don't be a chump, lol.

In the OP's case, some of the prices were more than double. That's just nuts. Though again, shopping around locally can still get you good prices, without having to go online.

The biggest savings vs. MSRP I've ever gotten was at a local shop (35% lower than MSRP).

No shit, businesses open to make money. That argument falls on my deaf ears. It reminds me they don't give a shit about the gun community. The same way I dont give a shit about them. Living where I live, no gun I buy supports nothing in my community. By the time I'm walking into a LGS I already know what I'm looking to buy and how much it should cost. I knew this was a sensitive topic With some members but the bills have to be paid excuse is tired. It does not explain why through out the state and on this forum barring a few exceptions why they have high ass prices. Why dont they try to move more volume. Guns do not go stale nor do they fade away. The I have them in inventory argument....As far as threads like this I have not seen threads like this here since I have been on here. I think as buyers we get the shaft supporting some of these people. We smile as if they did a good job and promote them even though you the consumer got ripped off.

First of all, all firearms go through any LGS.  That's law.  Now the question becomes which LGS can do it better than the next guy, or better still, do they want to.  Most NJ LGS have been backed into a corner by our restrictive laws.  This causes a higher than usual overhead because they can only sell what the state lets them.  Adding to the price pressure is higher brick and mortar costs such as utilities, taxes, et al.  Now add a smaller than average customer base that needs to be "pre-qualified" and the retailer is forced to charge more per item because he has less traffic than he should and needs sales to stay in business.  No doubt a tough business to be in, in NJ.  Ever wonder why there are more handguns for sale in NJ LGS than long guns? And when you find a great selection of handguns in NJ LGS ever notice that they all seem to be towards the high end of the market?  Why?  Because getting a permit for a handgun is such a PIA that when you go get one your getting the best, so the only thing there are the best.  Most NJ LGS close on Sunday, why? NO NICS.  Why be open when I can't sell a big ticket item. Now he only has 6 weekdays to make his quota. 

I'm not going bash them on their pricing, it is their business to do with as they please.  I will shop where I am welcomed and treated fairly.  I have been in many NJ LGS over the years and for the most part have been treated poorly.  I don't know why they have the attitude they do, or care to discuss it.  It is what it is.  Today I have 3 NJ LGS that I use and they have a "can do" attitude and welcome my business for whatever it is.  It is refreshing doing business with them.  If the price is right, I buy.  If not, and I elect to do a transfer instead, no problem.  They welcome the business they get.

So for me that is how a see it.  Buy it or move on.  Of course PA is only 10 minutes away and those NJ LGS know that too!

First of all, all firearms go through any LGS.  That's law.  Now the question becomes which LGS can do it better than the next guy, or better still, do they want to.  Most NJ LGS have been backed into a corner by our restrictive laws.  This causes a higher than usual overhead because they can only sell what the state lets them.  Adding to the price pressure is higher brick and mortar costs such as utilities, taxes, et al.  Now add a smaller than average customer base that needs to be "pre-qualified" and the retailer is forced to charge more per item because he has less traffic than he should and needs sales to stay in business.  No doubt a tough business to be in, in NJ.  Ever wonder why there are more handguns for sale in NJ LGS than long guns? And when you find a great selection of handguns in NJ LGS ever notice that they all seem to be towards the high end of the market?  Why?  Because getting a permit for a handgun is such a PIA that when you go get one your getting the best, so the only thing there are the best.  Most NJ LGS close on Sunday, why? NO NICS.  Why be open when I can't sell a big ticket item. Now he only has 6 weekdays to make his quota. 

I'm not going bash them on their pricing, it is their business to do with as they please.  I will shop where I am welcomed and treated fairly.  I have been in many NJ LGS over the years and for the most part have been treated poorly.  I don't know why they have the attitude they do, or care to discuss it.  It is what it is.  Today I have 3 NJ LGS that I use and they have a "can do" attitude and welcome my business for whatever it is.  It is refreshing doing business with them.  If the price is right, I buy.  If not, and I elect to do a transfer instead, no problem.  They welcome the business they get.

So for me that is how a see it.  Buy it or move on.  Of course PA is only 10 minutes away and those NJ LGS know that too!

+1

Here is my question. What do you feel is a fair mark up from the price paid for a gun.

Let's say the gun is $500 before it's shipped

Is that the cost to me the end buyer or the price paid by the store from a distributor? If thats the price to me and its what I am looking for I actually don't care about shipping. Meaning that I have no control over the fact it had to be sent fed-ex even though I know the postal service is cheaper.

It all depends on what you value in the transaction...

Cheapest price?  Product knowledge of the salesman?  Can you touch it before buying?   Ability to bring it back for service?

I'm happy to pay a few bucks more to support a local business, and I've found it has always come back to me.  My preferred LGS knows me by name, and I feel I get preferred treatment when I go in.  Just about every gun I've bought has had some extras thrown into the deal (like a holster, a box of ammo or a new grip, etc).  Anything used I've bought has been priced great (like 40-50% off what I see on gunbroker).   I've gotten discounted prices without even asking.  When ammo was scarce they would put a few boxes aside for me.  When I see something I want, they hold it for me until OGAM/permit processing is up without me needing to put a dime down in deposit.  In short they make it easy for me to buy from them.  One of the salesmen even gave me a set of grips out of his personal collection because I had just bought a used handgun that needed them.  

The $25-50 over the internet price (which doesn't factor shipping, transfer, tax, NICS, etc on either side of the transaction) to me is money well spent.

I value the relationship and the service.  Have I passed on items I thought were too much?  Yup.  Did I bust their balls over it?  Nope - it's a two way transaction.  And this is at a LGS I've seen bashed on this forum.  I find the guys and gals at the counter friendly and helpful, others haven't.  Why?  no idea.

To the OP - yes, I see prices going up.  Some owners, LGS or not, like to advertise something at what I think is a ridiculous price.  If they get it, great for them.  Someone bought it so that person must be happy to have it.  As for the price itself and what the owner asks - it's theirs, they can do what they want with it.  When I see it I smile and move on to something else.  

People talk about volume sales. This state really doesnt make volume possible. You have a much more limited buyer base and on top of that restrictive laws which hamper frequent buying. Lets be honest how many guns does the average gun owner buy in a year. Ibwould think if ogam were repealed sales would increase greatly. Unfortunatey thats not happening anytime soon.

As much as I would like to support local shops, most if not all are rip offs. The one shop that would recommend would be Bullseye Tactical. That being said you need to shop around and see what the going rate is and compare it to what the locals are charging and go from there. Having a good inexpensive FFL is a bonus also.

i've always found bobs little sports shop to have great prices.

Here is my question. What do you feel is a fair mark up from the price paid for a gun.

Let's say the gun is $500 before it's shipped

As someone who is familiar with owning a small business, expect to pay msrp or just under for an item in a small local shop. Only way to stay open.

As someone who is familiar with owning a small business, expect to pay msrp or just under for an item in a small local shop. Only way to stay open.

Perfectly said Blake. You are not Cabelas or Dicks. You don't have the purchasing power that they have. You have to get most stuff from a distributer who is also a business trying to make money. Also larger stores can take a loss on a gun cause most likely you are going to buy some high profit margin items such as targets, cleaning materials, gun case and so on.

Everyone wants a discount for nothing. Why does everyone feel like they deserve a discount? What makes you so special? Buy it online then. Your local FFL should be happy to collect the transfer fee. They actually might make more money doing a transfer and it only takes 10 minutes. Also they don't have to put out money to display a gun in the case.

Distributors don't use the post office but FFL's and LGS's have. I don't care about the distributors. I have learned a lot of them are scumbags as well and are part of our problem. I also don't mind paying MSRP. I expect to pay MSRP up to + 15%