Scrap

New Sig P226 MK25 !!!

Alright Alright... got my new Sig baby!  OH YEAH BABY!

This is one sweet gun.  To those who may not know, this is a Sig Sauer 9mm DA/SA pistol with a 15+1 capacity  (and they have 18 round extended-yet-fairly-flush'd magazines as well as 20 and 30 round extended sticks) that is the official issue sidearm of the US Naval Special Warfare Command (SEALs and Surface Warfare Combatant Craft-Crewman).

It's really awesome... Haven't had much time with it yet but I took it home, immediately broke it down and gave it a good cleaning (It was dirty..but arrived with visible oil coating it..  but I had seen some unboxing videos that featured new MK25s COATED and quite literally dripping oil...) and some lubing and am in the process of familiarizing and such.  The gun is a DA/SA, Double-Action/Single Action, with decocker.  No manual external safety.  So basically you are going to chamber a round, use the decocker to lower the hammer down, then carry the gun in Double Action model (which requires a lot of heavy pull on the trigger to fire) and after the first shot in double-action mode, the gun will transition to Single-Action which will be a much smoother , lighter trigger pull.  The idea is , if it's chambered., it is always ready to fire , but is still safe to carry when chambered (with a proper holster).  It also has several internal safeties to make it safe during dropping/banging around/slapping the hammer down.

It is much MUCH more solid and beefy/meaty than a  Glock, my Glock 23 seems downright light and nimble compared to it.. but that was sort of the idea.

Hopefully I can get to shoot it soon..where I live now, sort of in the sticks, there is no range nearby but the law says I can shoot on my property with proper backstop... I have about 30 acres across the county from where i'm living now so I might go see if I can set up a bit of a range.  If not I have to drive an hour, no big deal.

And for the "Pics Or It Didn't Happen" crowd,

post-2006-0-50443800-1399580507_thumb.jpg

post-2006-0-41556100-1399580511_thumb.jpg

post-2006-0-59201900-1399580514_thumb.jpg

post-2006-0-65265000-1399580522_thumb.jpg

You can always keep a round chambered and just pull hammer back yo fire... ;)

Congratz.

Now put an SRT kit in there and you are good to go!

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Thanks BHunted, I am familiar with cocking the hammer lol but thank you for the suggestion good sir :russian:

This is a very nice pistol... just a great feel in the hands and points very instinctively... I can see with SEALs would choose this as it feels great in the hands, I am sure Delta Force's customized highend gunsmithed 1911s feel great too but for a production pistol of moderate means, I am loving this.

I was looking into this exact pistol... then I rented two P226's at two different ranges.

Terrible trigger. Extremely long pull, and long reset.

Does the SRT resolve these two issues?

Because otherwise, I just don't "get" the love for the P226. 

Thanks BHunted, I am familiar with cocking the hammer lol but thank you for the suggestion good sir :russian:

This is a very nice pistol... just a great feel in the hands and points very instinctively... I can see with SEALs would choose this as it feels great in the hands, I am sure Delta Force's customized highend gunsmithed 1911s feel great too but for a production pistol of moderate means, I am loving this.

I knew that you knew that I know you knew. But I also knew that you knew I knew you knew cocked and locked but failed to mention not cocked and locked to be able to draw the hammer... Hence, I had to make sure you were fully aware in knowing both capabilities. You know?

Whew... My finger worked up a sweat on that one. :)

I was looking into this exact pistol... then I rented two P226's at two different ranges.

Yes... There are also many variants of the 226....

Whats the mk25 mean compared to a regular 226?

Basically it starts out as a Sig P226 with a full size "Milspec" picatinny rail (A holster company told me that the standard "Sig P226R" has a slightly smaller rail than a MK25 which has a "milspec rail" don't shoot the messenger, just what I was told), then it has the Sig-popular "Nitron" finish on the slide (which is supposed to be an upgraded corrosion-resistant finish and they are using it on a lot of other models - bUt not all) .  It has a phosphating coat on all internal parts as part of the extreme saltwater corrosion resistance (it had to meet this for the SEALs and SpecWarCom), it has standard SIGLITE night sights, and standard 3 15-round mags w/ the special Phosphating coat ..  then finished on the outside with a golden Navy anchor and military UID scannable sticker on the outside (Purely cosmetic stuff there IMHO).

SO It has some upgrades, some stuff I would want anyway, and it was an incredible price so it was a real deal for a P226, which is if nothing else a world-reknown and famous combat/service pistol.

Yes... There are also many variants of the 226....

ce8848b7.jpg

This is true my safe queen 226 has a beaver tail you dont those all the time, always wanted srt never got around to it.

I love that Beavertail up there.... I have my eyes on a P229 Elite Stainless in .40 as a CCW gun , which has the beautiful stainless steel, beautiful rich red wood grips, and the beavertail... they make the same thing in 226 but i'd prob go 229 for CCW  duty.

shooting my sons MK25 I came to the same conclusion. Did not like the re-set. Actually short stroked the trigger a few times, perhaps if it was mine and spent more time with it I could grow to like it, otherwise a fine gun.

The SRT is a short reset trigger. It changes nothing on the initial pull of the DA trigger, but the take up on the SA pull is like a 1911. The take up on my 229 isn't a big deal. As I am putting the gun on sight, I'm usually taking the slack out of the trigger.

Whats the mk25 mean compared to a regular 226?

Might have been said already but I believe the only difference is the coating put on the gun.

I love that Beavertail up there.... I have my eyes on a P229 Elite Stainless in .40 as a CCW gun , which has the beautiful stainless steel, beautiful rich red wood grips, and the beavertail... they make the same thing in 226 but i'd prob go 229 for CCW  duty.

That gun will be heavy. btw, can you take a pic of the extractor on the mk25 please? I'd like to see which extractor they are using.

Here you go, best I could do.  Well correction, I don't want to say it's the best I could do but rather it's what I did do.

I tried to get as many angles and distances close/medium/far away but these were the only two I thought came out any degree of decent, I'm not sure if this helps you but I hope they do.

post-2006-0-37085300-1399643230_thumb.jpg

post-2006-0-08832300-1399643237_thumb.jpg

Just a small update- 

Got back from my first visit to the most-local range I could find... and fired off 150 problem-free absolutely awesome rounds of 9mm FMJs from my new MK25.

A few observations...

1- Obviously many know this but... it feels absolutely great in the hands and functions perfectly.  I fired a 100 rd value pack of WWB and a 50 rd box of standard Federal 9mm 115gr FMJs  ... out of the 3 included MK25 magazines.  About half the time I chambered and topped off, sometimes not, and I did a few reload and malfunction type drills with 2 or 3 rounds in each mag.  I did not have one single problem and the gun was great.  And while I am by no means a pistol sniper, I shot much better with this than I usually do with my Glock 23.

2- Of course many also know this but... Double-Action shooting is tough lol!  It does require quite a bit trigger pull concentration and sometimes the BOOOOOOM would come as a complete surprise.  The decocker worked perfectly so I would not hesitate to carry this in the future but, I would of course prefer cocking the hammer before shooting if and when I could.

3- The sights were great... I also noticed at night how amazingly bright the SIGLITE night sights are, much more than my Trijicons on my G23, and they were nice sights for daytime-indoors as well.

The range I shot at was a very nice and modern place.  it was much like Ready-Aim-Fire in Bristol, PA except 10x nicer and more modern.  You could just enter your target distance on the keypad and the target rolls out to where it needs to be... Plus they have a very expensive air filtration system, nice insides, it was just amazing.  The bathrooms were nicer than most any public place I had been... I would very much consider joining this place as a member... (but also like RAF, they are a pistol-caliber range only, I believe .44 Mag is highest.)

Anyway just wanted to update this... Amazing gun, very happy so far.  Now I will feel a little better chambering the gun with a mag full of Federal HSTs for Home Defense use.  Although admittedly, 150 rounds is not exactly "breaking it in"..

Just a small update- 

Got back from my first visit to the most-local range I could find... and fired off 150 problem-free absolutely awesome rounds of 9mm FMJs from my new MK25.

A few observations...

1- Obviously many know this but... it feels absolutely great in the hands and functions perfectly.  I fired a 100 rd value pack of WWB and a 50 rd box of standard Federal 9mm 115gr FMJs  ... out of the 3 included MK25 magazines.  About half the time I chambered and topped off, sometimes not, and I did a few reload and malfunction type drills with 2 or 3 rounds in each mag.  I did not have one single problem and the gun was great.  And while I am by no means a pistol sniper, I shot much better with this than I usually do with my Glock 23.

2- Of course many also know this but... Double-Action shooting is tough lol!  It does require quite a bit trigger pull concentration and sometimes the BOOOOOOM would come as a complete surprise.  The decocker worked perfectly so I would not hesitate to carry this in the future but, I would of course prefer cocking the hammer before shooting if and when I could.

3- The sights were great... I also noticed at night how amazingly bright the SIGLITE night sights are, much more than my Trijicons on my G23, and they were nice sights for daytime-indoors as well.

The range I shot at was a very nice and modern place.  it was much like Ready-Aim-Fire in Bristol, PA except 10x nicer and more modern.  You could just enter your target distance on the keypad and the target rolls out to where it needs to be... Plus they have a very expensive air filtration system, nice insides, it was just amazing.  The bathrooms were nicer than most any public place I had been... I would very much consider joining this place as a member... (but also like RAF, they are a pistol-caliber range only, I believe .44 Mag is highest.)

Anyway just wanted to update this... Amazing gun, very happy so far.  Now I will feel a little better chambering the gun with a mag full of Federal HSTs for Home Defense use.  Although admittedly, 150 rounds is not exactly "breaking it in"..

Good to hear!

Congrats

Glad to hear you had a good time. That a shirt extractor. Get used to the double action. Every mag or first round if your string should be started in DA. You will get used to it quickly.

P226 Combat. I like the double single action trigger and I shoot it well. People always sleep on the Combat model. They see SEALS and buy the Navy or MK25. Same as yours has a threaded barrel and phosphate coatings. I love it. GO ARMY!WP_000489_zps5ace96f1.jpg

I have the the M11A1 for about 2 months and have about 700 rds through it. All I can say is that I am now a SIG Fanboy! This is my first DA/SA- usually shoot 1911's and M&Ps. I am now convinced that for ME this is the way to go for a self defense trigger. Its a very accurate gun, even with the DA pull because it is so smooth. The Short Reset Trigger is nice for follow-up shots but I have not shot a regular Sig trigger to compare. I am now seriously thinking about getting the full sized brother MK25 so I can put a light on it for HD. Will have to wait for funds to recover though.

As well as the SRT, I highly recommend the E2 grips. I don't have small hands but it just feels more comfortable for me to hold, not that there was any real issue with the regular grips as they were.

Posted Image

I love this color combo. Stainless frames?

I love this color combo. Stainless frames?

Well I bought the gun as a nitron finish .40 s&w

A few years after I cerakoted the entire .40 slide and frame their titanium color. I then went out and got a 9mm nitron slide for the frame as well which you see in the photo, I'm probably gonna take that slide an get is cerakoted graphite black because I love the color combo too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I bought the gun as a nitron finish .40 s&w

A few years after I cerakoted the entire .40 slide and frame their titanium color. I then went out and got a 9mm nitron slide for the frame as well which you see in the photo, I'm probably gonna take that slide an get is cerakoted graphite black because I love the color combo too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Extreme with those funny colored grips, which i like with the black gun, but i might have to look into doing black and a stainless look.