I applied for a couple purchase permits on Tuesday April 28th. On the last go-around my PD was still using the hard copy SBI-212A. Since I had the URL for the on-line 212A, I contacted the detective to find out the ORI number (I've since found out that you can find the number on-line). He gave it to me no problem. So the day before I handed in the applications, I did the 212A on-line.

When I turned in the application and told the detective (new guy to me) that I had put through the 212A on-line, he looked kind of surprised. Said they had never done that before and asked me where I found out how to do that. I told him in the NJ Gun Forum (another puzzled look). So he said OK, let's see how it goes.

Long story short - since they didn't know how to process it using the on-line 212A, he called the NJSP and, using my app as the teaching example, they walked the detective through it. End result? I just picked up my permits that I applied for nine days ago.

There is still no transparency, or possibly even honesty on the part of the NJSP. When my PD first called he got one of the clerks (civilian) and she told him that he should have heard on the 212A after about 12 hours had elapsed. He then spoke with a Sgt that told him they are still working on them from March. Maybe that's true, because the system is still a mix of hand submitted hardcopy and the on-line input. Who knows what the real story is? Hopefully, once this goes uniformly statewide, it will take some time out of the process and my experience becomes the rule rather than the exception.

Can't pick-up the new addition until Monday (earliest). Will post when I do.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

9 days!? You're pretty late for a cruel April fool's joke.

I dropped off my p2p app at NJSP last week, did the online 212A as well. Little concerned over the Sgt disagreeing with who the money order needed to be made out to. I went by the instruction sheet I picked up at the barracks a few hours earlier. He couldn't figure out why it had the payee listed that it had.

Last go round, in feb., my town did electronic background checks and paper permits.(the ones you sign on the spot)

I submitted for more in the beginning of April, and they of course are doing the same checks but now are using the new permits that they print from their printer.

I was told that I have to go back to sign them when everything is ready.

My town still does the hard copy. I'm at 33 days which is unusual for my town. But apparently it's the state not the town holding it up. And I'm pissed I want my new toy! :(

Aberdeen still uses hard copies too. Though, when I went in yesterday, they told me that I should be receiving my FID and 2 p2p`s within two weeks, (handed application in April 24). I guess I`m just fortunate to live in a town that pushed them out quickly.

Aberdeen still uses hard copies too. Though, when I went in yesterday, they told me that I should be receiving my FID and 2 p2p`s within two weeks, (handed application in April 24). I guess I`m just fortunate to live in a town that pushed them out quickly.

I'm two towns over in old bridge, and she said the online checks do speed up the process but that they are still backed up.

I believe they only process permits Tuesday through Thursday.

Put in my paperwork on May 2nd. I did the electronic form a few days before. My references already got the paperwork to complete and sent back yesterday. Hopefully this will be a quick turn around.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I'm two towns over in old bridge, and she said the online checks do speed up the process but that they are still backed up.

I believe they only process permits Tuesday through Thursday.

Yea, at least that`s what my buddy who worked there as a cop told me. And hopefully, you don`t have to wait 9 months like my father did :facepalm:

Yea, at least that`s what my buddy who worked there as a cop told me. And hopefully, you don`t have to wait 9 months like my father did :facepalm:

I have been through the process many times since moving to NJ in 09 and the longest I have waited is 77 days. Typical wait is under 60.

If I don't hear this year, I will start my weekly "harassment" call.

When did your dad wait 9 months?

When did your dad wait 9 months?

Way back in I believe 06` - 07` ish. I know they process has changed since than but, he did everything you were supposed too. Printed, references, and application. He starting calling around the 7th month of waiting, Apparently, one of his references never sent back the letter...even though they sent it back AND he went to the PD with my dad.

9 days!? You're pretty late for a cruel April fool's joke.

I dropped off my p2p app at NJSP last week, did the online 212A as well. Little concerned over the Sgt disagreeing with who the money order needed to be made out to. 

What money order?  I did my applications back in early March -- the new online 212 eliminated the need for a money order since you pay by credit card online

I was required to pay $6 in cash -- $2 cash for each permit -- to my local PD

Aberdeen still uses hard copies too. Though, when I went in yesterday, they told me that I should be receiving my FID and 2 p2p`s within two weeks, (handed application in April 24). I guess I`m just fortunate to live in a town that pushed them out quickly.

Having not purchased a handgun in the PRNJ for many years, if you can only, as I understand, purchase one a month. What is the sense in getting multiple permits unless they have a shelf life of at least 60 days, then I understand.

Having not purchased a handgun in the PRNJ for many years, if you can only, as I understand, purchase one a month. What is the sense in getting multiple permits unless they have a shelf life of at least 60 days, then I understand.

They are good for 90 days from the date of issue, and may be renewable for another 90 (180 days total, from date of issue) at the CLEO's discretion. Plus multiple handgun purchases are allowed under certain exemptions but you still need one permit per handgun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

they have a 90 day expiration period. That's why most get 3 at a clip.

I got two because I wanted to have an extra just incase I wanted to pick up another gun after the month wait. Plus, even I don`t use it, I only wasted $2, so it wouldn`t bother me if it expired before I used it.

Way back in I believe 06` - 07` ish. I know they process has changed since than but, he did everything you were supposed too. Printed, references, and application. He starting calling around the 7th month of waiting, Apparently, one of his references never sent back the letter...even though they sent it back AND he went to the PD with my dad.

Good thing I apply so frequently that they never send out follow up references for me!

I got two because I wanted to have an extra just incase I wanted to pick up another gun after the month wait. Plus, even I don`t use it, I only wasted $2, so it wouldn`t bother me if it expired before I used it.

I always have at least one on hand whether I use it or not.... I then get them extended for an additional 90 days every time too....