Silence Dogood

Why does NJ law mention "members of rifle and pistol clubs"

So why does NJ law mention members of rifle and pistol clubs:

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

when they aren't treated any differently under the law?? Except to have their names sent to the State Police annually.

It was probably negotiated by the rifle and pistol clubs when the law was drafted.

The law is such that members of rifle and pistol clubs can carry their guns to "a place of target practice" whereas everyone else can carry their guns to "an authorized target range." There is a subtle difference. A "place of target practice" can be anywhere, really, such as a farm or a piece of vacant land. An "authorized target range" is just that, an official range. 

If you aren't a member of a club, you should become one. 

Great question. I have been thinking about this myself. I very recently joined Easton Fish and Game. Does that count even though it is in Pa?

I would think not unless the PA club has  " has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;" Which seems unlikely if its even possible.

is this to say we can only go shooting to ranges that were a member to and that range has "provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;"

what about going out of state to shoot at a range?

clubs that file membership lists get an exemption to the rules about what constitutes a transfer. I also suspect that the subtle wording difference might have been to keep ANJRPC or someone happy and might come down to zoning. There is such a thing as being zones as a gun range. A number of ranges operate under a varience or initial use grandfathering rather than haivng specific zoning as a range.

Also that provision doesn't say "directly" to target practice. Wider language which presumably allows for picking up friends and stopping to eat enroute and etc that you might not get away with under the other exemption which requires you to go "directly" to the range.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I will probably never shoot at a range or club, unless someone who is a member invites me.  I can shoot on my own property and often shoot with friends on their farms.  Shooting in a "controlled" place doesn't appeal to me.  But being able to carry my gun to any "place of target practice" does appeal to me.  what's the cheapest range to join in NJ?  Any club want to offer a $25 per year membership that offers no range privileges?

How hard is it to incorporate a club? For a couple hundred bucks anyone could probably get two friends together and form a 501c3

There is a process. That said why not just join a local range? Most of them are clubs that fall under this rule. RTSP, Gun for Hire and of course ANJRPC cherry ridge

There is a process. That said why not just join a local range? Most of them are clubs that fall under this rule. RTSP, Gun for Hire and of course ANJRPC cherry ridge

Only because I don't want to spend $600 a year to join a club I'll never visit.

I have noting against joining a local range. But if the members on here spread throughout the state were to create another 50-100 clubs, one could justify driving just about anywhere in New Jersey.

I will probably never shoot at a range or club, unless someone who is a member invites me.  I can shoot on my own property and often shoot with friends on their farms.  Shooting in a "controlled" place doesn't appeal to me.  But being able to carry my gun to any "place of target practice" does appeal to me.  what's the cheapest range to join in NJ?  Any club want to offer a $25 per year membership that offers no range privileges?

since you asked, altho one may question why a person from South Jersey would be a member to a club next to  the state line with NY-Cherry Ridge offers this:

Member Types Open to New Members:

Non-RangeThis is a basic membership, for those less than 60 years of age.  All benefits of ANJRPC membership are provided, except for range privileges. Annual dues are $40 or $100 for three years.

Non-Range-Age 60+ As above, for those at least 60 years of age. Annual dues are $35   

It was probably negotiated by the rifle and pistol clubs when the law was drafted.

The law is such that members of rifle and pistol clubs can carry their guns to "a place of target practice" whereas everyone else can carry their guns to "an authorized target range." There is a subtle difference. A "place of target practice" can be anywhere, really, such as a farm or a piece of vacant land. An "authorized target range" is just that, an official range. 

If you aren't a member of a club, you should become one. 

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

AND they used the same wording for the temporary transfer that Raz0 mentioned.  Said transfer to include an up to 8 hour period in a 24 hour day, no paperwork required, exemption granted only to adults AND KIDS under the supervision of adults who are members of said club.  So kids who don't have a parent that's a member of the club can still shoot youth bullseye with hand guns!  Or a member can borrow a gun to shoot a match with & return it to the member upon completion, PROVIDED that the owner of the hand gun is there to babysit it (somewhere on the range).  As Ryan said, it's well worth being a member.

It's really no big deal since the list is just names.  NO addresses, phone numbers or email.  The PRNJ already knows who and where you have your stash if you have a NJFID, so having a private club type a list of names on a piece of paper that goes into a filing cabinet is a Big WHOOP, lol!  But by being on such list, it lends itself to a wider interpretation of "directly" and makes a woods or other available place a legal spot to bring and operate firearms, PROVIDED that no local ordinances prohibit same...........

With all of that said, you should all have a BIG ORANGE BIBLE!!  Nappen's Gun, Knife and weapon law book........yours for the few bucks it costs!

Dave

So, by being a NJ club member, you can fly out of Newark on your way to a range in Texas to take the ccw class, or does it only cover a NJ range?

It covers "a place of target practice." You could be going to the moon to shoot little green cardboard men, legal. 

So, by being a NJ club member, you can fly out of Newark on your way to a range in Texas to take the ccw class, or does it only cover a NJ range?

I have no idea but apparently many people here fly out of Newark without a problem. I plan on doing exactly that. 

So does this mean I can make a detour for pizza after shooting at CJRPC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's the LAW as it is written, and then there's what un-pussified Shooters like ME (with 44 years behind the trigger) deem a "reasonable deviation".  I deem it reasonable to stop for food and drink (on occasion) since I'm a type-2 Diabetic.  I figure it's smarter to stop (for a few minutes) and eat than it is to get the shakes and go into a low blood sugar condition and drive off the roadway harming myself or others.  My reasonable deviations DO NOT however mean I sit in a Bar for several hours getting tanked-up while I have hand guns in my car.  IANAL, so I can't tell you what to do.  I can only tell you what "normal" is in the real world.  It's up to YOU to decide what to do...........

Dave 

Damn good question.

I suppose if he is an NRA instructor and is teaching you. Otherwise it's dubious.

Perhaps we should expand this Instructor's List to include carded members of other nationally-recognized shooting sports entities:  U.S.P.S.A., I.D.P.A., N.R.O.I., NMLRA (Nat'l Muzzleloading Rifle Assn.) and others advertising their training courses on social media and several other outlets?  

Let's keep in mind that NOT EVERY NRA Class is run at a Range.......

I'll admit I offer a somewhat wider interpretation of the letter of the Law.  Like being able to literally throw a 100 UNLOADED, UNCASED hand guns, with NO trigger locks into the trunk of your car (while it's on your property), and by merely closing the trunk deck lid, you have SECURED the hand guns!  Further, by the letter of the law, in order to carry any of these 100 hand guns into a residence, place of business (a FFL, Gun Shop, Repair facility) or a range, all one must do is to wrap each gun in brown paper (one at a time if need be) and tie it in a package SECURELY with bakery string!  Of course NO ONE would actually do that because the guns would be scratched to crap with the first pot-hole in the road, but, LEGALLY it can be accomplished.

IMHO most NJ Shooters know little of the actual laws and their intended meanings.  Their constant asking of questions about transportation here on this forum proves that few actually know the law even though they already own guns.  Compounding this is the fact that most Gun Shops' owners and employees  suffer from the same malady.  I could list chapter and verse of some really outrageous "alleged laws" (like every hand gun needs a trigger lock before it leaves the store, Hollow Point rounds are ILLEGAL, it's ILLEGAL to remove the 3-shot plug from a shotgun's mag tube, ammo has to be in a separate locked container, a loaded mag is a loaded gun, etc., etc., etc.)!  The net result is a tangled web of misinterpretations, wive's tales, and urban myths which further compounds the implementation of any form of common sense.   Those I just mentioned were inflicted upon ME by Gun Shop Owners over the last 44 years of my shooting career!  Last Wednesday I had a Scout Master tell me he had to throw or give-away a shotgun sleeve because one piece of the pull tab on the zipper broke "and it's no longer legal to be used for transport, only storage".  WTF is the World coming to??  Sometimes I think I'm surrounded by a bunch of pussified  BOOBS!

Rant OFF for now!

Dave

Shootist