ALAN553

.22 and bullet trap in basement

Well it's a 3400 sq ft basement. How much lead can 50 -100 rounds put out at the end of the basement. I guess can hang the hose from the wet dry vac above the bullet trap. Not concerned about the ceiling, I would probably only shoot if I were alone in the house or wife was downstairs with me. Empty nesters so kids are not a problem. I live in montville. I think the no discharge rule applies to public places.

No person shall purposely discharge, fire or carry any loaded handgun, rifle, shotgun, other firearm or bow as defined herein within the Township of Montville.

The state has a law which is written in the town ordnance, no discharge within 400 feet of a residence.

So much for that plan

No person shall purposely discharge, fire or carry any loaded handgun, rifle, shotgun, other firearm or bow as defined herein within the Township of Montville.

The state has a law which is written in the town ordnance, no discharge within 400 feet of a residence.

So much for that plan

I still say go for it. It's inside your own house.

I still say go for it. It's inside your own house.

I might, you can't hear anything in the basement outside, and how much lead can there be after shooting an occasional 50 rounds or so. It's not like a public indoor range with the volume and the caliber.

just hire a company to put one in for you

That would mean permits and that would mean government involvement. My guess with ventilation, certified bullet stop and containment materials, soundproofing, and lead recovery that would cost at least $25-30K before you put one round down range. You would also have to pay for a DEP licensed lead removal firm periodically. There would also be insurance issues.

I'm a plumber. I pull pounds of lead out of houses all the time with a sawzall. No DEP license required. There is however a led certification to cut out a piece of sheetrock larger than one square foot, in homes built before 78. Because there may possibly be lead paint lol.

Hell we can still use lead for cast joints, lead bends for toilets, sheet lead for shower pans, or sweat copper waste with lead solder. Not that I do but, Its approved in the code if we want to. A few bullets is that big of a deal?

Go for it! If you knew the stuff I've breathed, ingested and have stuck and still in my body, you'd think I should have been dead by now!

Adding to that, we had a shooting range in the basement of my high school, and I don't believe there was any special ventilation. I'm not saying lead is good for you, but doubt a shooting session once in a while would be all that bad! You could install a fan or fans in the basement windows or install an air cleaner which are not all that expensive. I have both in my basement wood shop.

With a basement that big you could certainly have a ton of fun with a really good air rifle...

There are also some great air pistols too ---

Ill second this,

Years back we had an old chicken coop converted to a garage. It was about 25' wide and 100' long. We had a heavy pice of canvas for a back stop and a 20' soft pine 2x4 we would lne up used shot gun shells on. First one to knock off 25 shells was the winner. Good times, no lead exposure, no noise and no shrapnel.

Besides all that, where the *&/#$ are you gona buy 22 at any way lol.

Nope a large ranch and the basement is the foot print of the entire house

Not busting here pal. I have a two-story plus basement and attic. The basement footprint is about one-fourth that of all the floors. Given your dimensions, that would give you roughly 13,600 sq ft of living space. Perhaps not the Versailles, but definitely mansion sized.

BTW, I agree with a previous poster that your space is ideal for an air gun. They are real firearms. You can get them in .22 as well as one smaller caliber and I believe a .24 or .25 (someone will correct me). You don't have to worry about lead, gases, noise, and you get about 80% of the fun of shooting a .22. Your wife won't even know you're doing it :)

Not busting here pal. I have a two-story plus basement and attic. The basement footprint is about one-fourth that of all the floors. Given your dimensions, that would give you roughly 13,600 sq ft of living space. Perhaps not the Versailles, but definitely mansion sized.

BTW, I agree with a previous poster that your space is ideal for an air gun. They are real firearms. You can get them in .22 as well as one smaller caliber and I believe a .24 or .25 (someone will correct me). You don't have to worry about lead, gases, noise, and you get about 80% of the fun of shooting a .22. Your wife won't even know you're doing it :)

Your math is off. The living space is 3500 sq.feet, unfinished basement is the same...it's a ranch...one floor.

I'm a plumber. I pull pounds of lead out of houses all the time with a sawzall. No DEP license required. There is however a led certification to cut out a piece of sheetrock larger than one square foot, in homes built before 78. Because there may possibly be lead paint lol.Hell we can still use lead for cast joints, lead bends for toilets, sheet lead for shower pans, or sweat copper waste with lead solder. Not that I do but, Its approved in the code if we want to. A few bullets is that big of a deal?

Deerslayer, being a licensed plumber you know how to use and dispose of lead. Range cleanup is a different issue.

I always liked a sprawling ranch. That's a big basement. I wouldn't worry about anyone hearing you shooting 22lr in your basement. Just don't tell your neighbors. I would however worry a little about ventilation. I assume your heating/ac air handler is in the basement? I wouldn't want that lead/powder/smell getting into my living space, which it will through your system.

I always liked a sprawling ranch. That's a big basement. I wouldn't worry about anyone hearing you shooting 22lr in your basement. Just don't tell your neighbors. I would however worry a little about ventilation. I assume your heating/ac air handler is in the basement? I wouldn't want that lead/powder/smell getting into my living space, which it will through your system.

No ventilation in the basement, steps and door to garage. Here is a laugh for you..jersey city detective lives next door.. He's cool though. Can't hear outside anyhow. My son is also a cop...he is making plans and choosing a target rifle and bullet trap...all is good..buy a home hepa filter, don t plan on shooting that much..just for the fun of it. I am a gold member at woodland park too.

Deerslayer, being a licensed plumber you know how to use and dispose of lead. Range cleanup is a different issue.

Yeah I'm sure you can guess where the lead I remove is reused. I eventually dispose of it at the range as well lol...

http://www.negairmachines.com/

Buy a real negative air machine - the same type used for asbestos or lead abatement.  Run it while you shoot to exhaust the airborne lead particulate.  This is not an engineering design.  If you choose to follow or not follow this advice, I bear no responsibility for your actions. IANALBIAAE