Sign in to follow this  
DrMully

Moving from GA to NJ

First thing you should do is submit your paper work for your FID card and pistol permits. The FID is required for purchasing long arms and shotguns and most shops wont sell you ammo without the card. Depending on your town it could take 2 weeks up to a year to get your card.

If you let us know what town you are moving to there is probably someone here who can let you know how long you can expect to wait.

And if you are not sure if something you currently own is legal don't bring it to NJ if you get caught with it your screwed. This state seems to punish legal gun owners who violate the law harsher than criminals.

Depending on where you live the best ranges are either Cherry Ridge or Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol.

Who is John Galt?

I am so excited I figured out how to change my signature.

Let me give you the info on the down low:

NJ taxes vaccilate between #1 and #2 in the nation trading the spots with the illustrious CT.

NJ penalizes you for leaving NJ

NJ charges you for selling your house (on top of the line above)

NJ only lets you buy one handgun every once in a while

NJ makes hollow points illegal to carry regardless of whether you have a pistol on your person or not

NJ has NEVER lowered taxes despite property values tanking between 2008 and 2013

NJ does not let you pump your own gas

NJ requires your purchases to be written in a book for handgun ammo and Sudafed

NJ does not issue carry permits - justifiable need is bullshit

NJ does not follow its own laws (see pistol permit 30 day requirement, exemption for C&R license from OGAM, etc etc)

NJ career criminals routinely get gun charges dropped while we the people get bent over the bench and...

NJ voters are apathetic, only just a hair more so than their voting gun owners

Fireworks are not allowed (I know they are not in Georgia either...but still)

Slingshots are not allowed

Permit to Purchase for a pellet gun pistol

Permit to Purchase for a black powder pistol

FID needed for Pellet/BB Gun rifles

FID needed for Black powder rifle

Taxes $10,000 to $15,000 a year that a house in NJ that Georgia would cost less than $2000 or $3000 a year

No open carry without a permit

Impossible to get a carry permit

Car Insurance High

Lot of Toll Roads

Positives

Great Schools

Great Hospitals

Great Food

Real Pizza Parlors

Gas is among the cheapest in the country

Pepper spray is OK to use for Self Defense (Check laws on size of spray)

Many places open up all night (Some Home Improvement Stores open 24 hrs. At least when I visited years ago).

Lot of sports teams

Altantic City and Foxwoods in CT both a few hours driving time.

NJ Shore

Revolutionary War Historical Sites Morristown

Scenic areas High Point, Cape May

Fishing

Sure Midwest - there are positives.

One of the few states with beaches and ski areas, mountains and flat land.  There are actually quite a few Wildlife Management Areas providing a decent amount of acreage for hunting despite the dense population.  Of course there's never enough room in any WMA on 6 day...

Bagels.  Real ones.

Pizza.  Again, real pizza

Diners with 16 page menus open 24 hours a day.  If you can't find something to eat at an NJ diner it's because you can't choose from the thousands of items on the menu

Stores open on sunday

Stores open LATE, many regularly to 9 pm during the week

Plenty of historical sites, Washington's crossing, Jockey Hollow, Monmouth Battlefield, etc

Freshwater and saltwater fishing

crabbing

One of the few states with beaches and ski areas, mountains and flat land. There are actually quite a few Wildlife Management Areas providing a decent amount of acreage for hunting despite the dense population. Of course there's never enough room in any WMA on 6 day...

Bagels. Real ones.

Pizza. Again, real pizza

Diners with 16 page menus open 24 hours a day. If you can't find something to eat at an NJ diner it's because you can't choose from the thousands of items on the menu

Stores open on sunday

Plenty of historical sites, Washington's crossing, Jockey Hollow, Monmouth Battlefield, etc

crabbing

True, there is a variety of things to do, but they are all seasonal, and thus overcrowded and overpriced.

Beaches - good for June to August. Not much fun left after paying for parking, paying to get on the beach, paying $10 for a bad burger, fighting for parking, fighting for a spot to sit on the rough sand, and high bacteria days from the NY sewer runoff. For the past 4 years I have been going to VA beach, much much nicer and cheaper.

Ski- most people I know go into PA for skiing.

Fishing- we do have this, but I recommend getting connected to someone and get on a private community lake. I am sure its the same in other states. Most times I see the warden checking kids ages and for the permits to fish.

Shopping malls-we have that covered

Diners are excellent

Cheap gas does not exist here anymore, and the gas tax is going up quite a bit.

The state is broke/bankrupt, tens of thousands of skilled jobs have left in just the past few years. Lots of empty business sites and strip malls.

The schools are only good on paper, and not in real life. This is the teacher unions #1 priority and they do it well. What was that documentary that was made about it.

I have been here a very very long time, and the quality of life definitely is dropping. It could be so everywhere else, I would love the OP to chime in and let us know the bad in GA. Maybe the grass isn't greener, and we are just tired of being dumped on?

First thing you should do is submit your paper work for your FID card and pistol permits. The FID is required for purchasing long arms and shotguns and most shops wont sell you ammo without the card. Depending on your town it could take 2 weeks up to a year to get your card.

If you let us know what town you are moving to there is probably someone here who can let you know how long you can expect to wait.

And if you are not sure if something you currently own is legal don't bring it to NJ if you get caught with it your screwed. This state seems to punish legal gun owners who violate the law harsher than criminals.

Depending on where you live the best ranges are either Cherry Ridge or Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol.

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for the advice! I will apply for FID as soon as I quality - might need a utility bill / license I assume - but will take a while before I make it to the license office - I assume NJ does not give FID to out of staters...

Have any of you gotten out of state ccw permits from FL? Seems like very few states do this (permits to non residents) - the permit lets us carry in FL as well as in states with reciprocity with FL (either way NJ is out of the picture)

I'll be moving to either Edison or Summit - any ranges you recommend close by?

True, there is a variety of things to do, but they are all seasonal, and thus overcrowded and overpriced.

Beaches - good for June to August. Not much fun left after paying for parking, paying to get on the beach, paying $10 for a bad burger, fighting for parking, fighting for a spot to sit on the rough sand, and high bacteria days from the NY sewer runoff. For the past 4 years I have been going to VA beach, much much nicer and cheaper.

Ski- most people I know go into PA for skiing.

Fishing- we do have this, but I recommend getting connected to someone and get on a private community lake. I am sure its the same in other states. Most times I see the warden checking kids ages and for the permits to fish.

Shopping malls-we have that covered

Diners are excellent

Cheap gas does not exist here anymore, and the gas tax is going up quite a bit.

The state is broke/bankrupt, tens of thousands of skilled jobs have left in just the past few years. Lots of empty business sites and strip malls.

The schools are only good on paper, and not in real life. This is the teacher unions #1 priority and they do it well. What was that documentary that was made about it.

I have been here a very very long time, and the quality of life definitely is dropping. It could be so everywhere else, I would love the OP to chime in and let us know the bad in GA. Maybe the grass isn't greener, and we are just tired of being dumped on?

I've been in GA for more than a decade and definitely enjoy the quality of life - lots of positives

- low housing cost

- very good higher education - Georgia Tech, Emory, UGA, GSU

- moderate winters

- cosmopolitan and diverse in the city

- beautiful mountains nearby (blue ridge, north GA, Smokey's) - a heaven for the motorcyclists

But there are some negatives of course

- no beach

- very humid in summer

- Atlanta public schools are one of the worst in the nation

- traffic going up to neighborhoods with good public schools is really bad

- very very suburban - need to drive for 30 min to get any where - very little walking culture

- not too many opportunities in terms of high tech employement

- food is ok unless I want chicken tenders all the time - have to really hunt around for good pizza

- closest skiing in 3+ hrs away in NC

NJ does not honor any other states ccw we have a law that states "justifiably need". Whatever the hell that means. You can't get a ccw unless you are connected.

Your apply for your FID at your local police department. They won't make it easy expect multiple trips during working hours and a good possibility that a letter will be sent to your employer notifying them you are a gun owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not every town makes it tough to get your FPID, my town is a simple no bubbles no troubles process. Fill out the three forms and schedule for fingerprints and wait 30-40 days. Some towns use NJSP since they have no issueing police dept, then you can run into delays. It varies from town to town on their ability to process paperwork. If you want a simple quick process look into moving to Hillsborough, its not far from Edison and Summit, right in the middle.

Your apply for your FID at your local police department. They won't make it easy expect multiple trips during working hours and a good possibility that a letter will be sent to your employer notifying them you are a gun owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for good schools and less traffic, Edison is not the place to go. My brother is there with 2 kids in the high school. Not recommended.

I do not know how Summit is, maybe someone here can chime in.

Not every town makes it tough to get your FPID, my town is a simple no bubbles no troubles process. Fill out the three forms and schedule for fingerprints and wait 30-40 days. Some towns use NJSP since they have no issueing police dept, then you can run into delays. It varies from town to town on their ability to process paperwork. If you want a simple quick process look into moving to Hillsborough, its not far from Edison and Summit, right in the middle.

Very few towns require you to go to the NJSP. The two towns Doc has mentioned both have their own police departments. In this state your results can vary widely from dept to dept because the chief of police sets the rules. If the chief of your town is friendly to gun owners it could be less than a week. Which was the case when I moved to Eatontown back in 1999 then we got a new chief and when I applied the detective said he wanted to do a home inspection. That's why I told him to contact his towns police department because that is the only way he will know what the process entails.

There was a thread on how long towns were taking.

Who is John Galt?

If you are looking for good schools and less traffic, Edison is not the place to go. My brother is there with 2 kids in the high school. Not recommended.

Depends on where you are in Edison. Some schools are better than others (tends to be on the north side), but they're getting very crowded. I graduated from JP Stevens within the past decade, and I thought the education was of good quality, but again, lots of crowding.

Depends on where you are in Edison. Some schools are better than others (tends to be on the north side), but they're getting very crowded. I graduated from JP Stevens within the past decade, and I thought the education was of good quality, but again, lots of crowding.

10 years ago, your information is way outdated! The iPhone didn't exist 10 years ago!

Rental market seems very tight in Summit - very old houses asking for lots of $$

Thanks for the advice! I will apply for FID as soon as I quality - might need a utility bill / license I assume - but will take a while before I make it to the license office - I assume NJ does not give FID to out of staters...

Have any of you gotten out of state ccw permits from FL? Seems like very few states do this (permits to non residents) - the permit lets us carry in FL as well as in states with reciprocity with FL (either way NJ is out of the picture)

they do issue out of state FID cards but you have to apply in person. And its no good when you officially change address so it's best just to wait until you get everything in order. Also the dmv in nj is a one stop shop. License, plates and some places even inspection. Im pretty sure Ga is similar to nc where everything is seperate offices and inspection has to be done at a shop. That's one thing I will miss along with the pizza, bagels, and pork roll.

One of the few states with beaches and ski areas, mountains and flat land.  There are actually quite a few Wildlife Management Areas providing a decent amount of acreage for hunting despite the dense population.  Of course there's never enough room in any WMA on 6 day...

Bagels.  Real ones.

Pizza.  Again, real pizza

Diners with 16 page menus open 24 hours a day.  If you can't find something to eat at an NJ diner it's because you can't choose from the thousands of items on the menu

Stores open on sunday

crabbing

Don't forget the Pork Roll...

I have to agree with the advice to not move here, even if it means divorce.  (I am not joking.)  I am planning to move out of state at the earliest opportunity.

Summit is a wealthy town with good schools, relatively speaking, and good transit service into NYC.  It is a very expensive place to live.  I don't know about how bad they are with FID cards.  You'll find dealing with DMV to be bad enough.

Be very careful that whatever you bring is legal in the state, e.g. no folding or telescopic stocks.  If you have relatives or friends in Georgia, leave anything you think might be questionable there until you resolve the question.

If you have any purchases you wish to make in the near future, make them in GA because it may take some time to get your FID card here.  You cannot buy ammo without the FID card, so acquire whatever ammo you need to tide you over before moving.

Once you get here do not discuss guns with your neighbors.  This whole state is blue.   Really blue.  Like they all voted for Obama, . . . twice.  :facepalm:

I have to agree with the advice to not move here, even if it means divorce.  (I am not joking.)  I am planning to move out of state at the earliest opportunity.

Summit is a wealthy town with good schools, relatively speaking, and good transit service into NYC.  It is a very expensive place to live.  I don't know about how bad they are with FID cards.  You'll find dealing with DMV to be bad enough.

Be very careful that whatever you bring is legal in the state, e.g. no folding or telescopic stocks.  If you have relatives or friends in Georgia, leave anything you think might be questionable there until you resolve the question.

If you have any purchases you wish to make in the near future, make them in GA because it may take some time to get your FID card here.  You cannot buy ammo without the FID card, so acquire whatever ammo you need to tide you over before moving.

Once you get here do not discuss guns with your neighbors.  This whole state is blue.   Really blue.  Like they all voted for Obama, . . . twice.  :facepalm:

Weeeeeeeelllllll not *all* of it. :D    We here in Warren/Sussex/Hunterdon Counties  do our best, as do our district reps (24th in my case).

But I absolutely agree with most of what you say... especially not discussing with neighbors. Several of mine I know are definitely anti...and nosy as all get out.  Roger your advisoryl in re: Summit. It's a nice affluent city in itself (it's where Meryl Streep as born).  But it's in Union County (County seat: Elizabeth), and that may cause some issues in re: getting your docs done in a timely fashion. 

Anyway, I feel for the OP, as most of my family is from GA.  My sister was born in Atlanta. 3 of my Grandparents are from GA (Augusta, La Grange, and the 2nd oldest incorporated US City, St. Marys).

they do issue out of state FID cards but you have to apply in person. And its no good when you officially change address so it's best just to wait until you get everything in order. Also the dmv in nj is a one stop shop. License, plates and some places even inspection. Im pretty sure Ga is similar to nc where everything is seperate offices and inspection has to be done at a shop. That's one thing I will miss along with the pizza, bagels, and pork roll.

Good to know! so much easier than in GA - but this whole FID thing complicates even a simple ammo buy

Thank you for the advice! will keep in mind as I make the move - I'm wondering what is the reaction of neighbors when they get to know you have guns - I guess they are not feeling safer? 

BTW I did consider leaving behind some pieces but seems like all of them are legal (except high cap mags for my wasr10 which I will sell) - even then with all the laws I feel constrained - e.g. if a future law makes the 10 cap mags a requirement, I'm looking at 6-8 mags to replace

Do any of you store handguns in a bank safety locker (e.g. in PA)? or bigger rifles in a public storage?

Thank you for the advice! will keep in mind as I make the move - I'm wondering what is the reaction of neighbors when they get to know you have guns - I guess they are not feeling safer? 

BTW I did consider leaving behind some pieces but seems like all of them are legal (except high cap mags for my wasr10 which I will sell) - even then with all the laws I feel constrained - e.g. if a future law makes the 10 cap mags a requirement, I'm looking at 6-8 mags to replace

Do any of you store handguns in a bank safety locker (e.g. in PA)? or bigger rifles in a public storage?

Most people store at home, and use the big gun safes for that purpose. 

The mag reduction bill (to reduce from 15 to 10) is currently on the Gov's desk.  We all hope he will veto, especially if he still has national political aspirations. He has 45 days from the day it reaches his desk to take action. If he doesn't, it becomes law anyway.  He has about 20 days left at this point.

Not sure about your potential neighbors, but I would never let mine know. I know a couple who are die hard anti's and would make a ton of trouble for  me if they knew. I'd stay on the conservative side and keep it to yourself, until you get to know them.