gfl216

I know this is a gun forum but............

My 12 year old daughter has no interest in guns at all but, recently she has showed an interest in archery. She had a few lessons and signed up for more and I am now thinking about buying her a bow. The guy at the archery range said that it is legal for her to practice in the back yard even though we live in a residential neighborhood. Dose anybody know if he is correct or where I could find out?

Actually in this topic can we get a sub forum for archery somewhere? Ive got 2 bows someone gave me. But ive never shot a bow or know anything about them. Dont know what arrows to buy and anything else I might need and would like some advice on what to get to start. And tips to help learn.

My local archery shop told me the same thing (I'm near Bayville where the shop is, duno if it's the same shop you went to in OC).  It seems he is right that there are no local ordinances about it, but you need to be on top of your kids when they are using the equipment bc one loose arrow could turn into one nasty lawsuit...

My local archery shop told me the same thing (I'm near Bayville where the shop is, duno if it's the same shop you went to in OC).  It seems he is right that there are no local ordinances about it, but you need to be on top of your kids when they are using the equipment bc one loose arrow could turn into one nasty lawsuit...

Bullseye in Bayville.

I shoot my bow and x-bow in the backyard all the time. I use the side of my garage as a back stop. It's legal on your property but, don't let an arrow leave your land that's no longer safe target practice. you're responsible if that arrow hurts/kills someone, trespasses, or does any damage. As long as you have something safe behind your target (like my concrete block garage) you're good to go.

Actually in this topic can we get a sub forum for archery somewhere? Ive got 2 bows someone gave me. But ive never shot a bow or know anything about them. Dont know what arrows to buy and anything else I might need and would like some advice on what to get to start. And tips to help learn.

PM me I'll help you out.

I doubt your town has a no discharge law for arrows. :lol:

Be careful, we had some numb nuts call the PD last year, and WHAM!!! No discharge of arrows ordinance was immediately passed. My advice is, do not ask... find your towns ordinances and look, if you don't find one... then don't question it.

In union township (Hunterdon county) you are okay to shoot on your property provided you have a backstop that is not a structure where someone could hide inside. The local SP barracks confirmed this for me so I just use bales of hay stacked and shoot into the brush woods behind my house.

Before purchasing my bow, a mission riot, I checked out heritage guild and had them properly fit me since I'm cross eye dominate with a weak left shoulder. They were great. They walked me through the different bow types, compound VS recurve, and then let me shoot each to see when felt better for me.

As for what arrows you'll need that will be based on what draw length you have the weight the bow is set for. Start of with cheap alum ones with field points since you'll either break/damage the nock or simply lose the arrow.

Interesting, I checked my towns regulations ( Paramus ) and it says.

Chapter 233:Firearms and Weapons

233-2 Discharge restricted

No person shall discharge any firearm, hunting arrow or dart within the Borough unless such person is actually engaged in the defense of life, person or property.

So it would appear to be legal in my town.

Odd that it says discharging a firearm in defense of property is also legal.

Interesting, I checked my towns regulations ( Paramus ) and it says. Chapter 233:Firearms and Weapons 233-2 Discharge restricted No person shall discharge any firearm, hunting arrow or dart within the Borough unless such person is actually engaged in the defense of life, person or property. So it would appear to be legal in my town. Odd that it says discharging a firearm in defense of property is also legal.

"Hunting arrow" ie broadheads? So field points are OK?

"Hunting arrow" ie broadheads? So field points are OK?

Thats how I would take it. Unless you were hunting then the towns rules are moot. So no target practice with broadheads. The game code says field points are not approved for hunting, unless your shooting Pheasant on the ground. I'm not sure there's to many (if any) places to hunt in Paramus anyway though. its a concrete jungle of stores that are closed on Sunday.