gleninjersey

Recommend A Value Priced Scope

So the AR is finally done. I know nothing about scopes. Please recommend a good value priced scope. I shoot at EFGA, 100 yard rifle range, and won't be going beyond that for the most part.

I don't need the latest & greatest. Looking for something easy to start with that is relatively inexpensive.

Ditto on a red dot at 100yds and in.

If you are set on a scope what is "relatively inexpensive"?

The leatherwood cmr 1-4 is a great scope for the money. Glass is clear, reticle is great, and its built really well. They can be found used for under $250.

For a little bit more the vortex pst 1-4 is a great scope and its built like a tank. I just bought one for $425 shipped from primary arms during their mem day sale.

Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP Scope $229.99

Features

• Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope Mil Dot Reticle 
    Length 12.56" 
    Exit pupil 11.2-3.2 mm
    Eye relief 109-83mm
    Field of view 9 - 30" 
    Click value 1/10 mil 
    Total Elevation 33MILs 
    Parallax 10yds to infinity 
    30mm tube Coating
    Fully-multi-coating 
    Diopter +2 ~ -2 
    Weight 1 lb 7oz 
    Etched reticle 
    Three-Year manufacturer warranty

PA4-14XFFP-2T.jpg

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

Primary Arms 4-14X44 Mil Mil FFP Scope $229.99

Features

• Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope Mil Dot Reticle 

Length 12.56" 

Exit pupil 11.2-3.2 mm

Eye relief 109-83mm

Field of view 9 - 30" 

Click value 1/10 mil 

Total Elevation 33MILs 

Parallax 10yds to infinity 

30mm tube Coating

Fully-multi-coating 

Diopter +2 ~ -2 

Weight 1 lb 7oz 

Etched reticle 

Three-Year manufacturer warranty

PA4-14XFFP-2T.jpg

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-4-14X44-FFP-Scope-p/pa4-14xffp.htm

+1 Just bought it and love it. One thing you need to know is that it is mil-dot not MOA. Also Front Focal Plane. Great scope, can't beat it for the money. 

IMO, there is no such thing as a cheap or expensive scope: they all cost about the same, though in practice, most “expensive” scopes are cheaper to own than "affordable" scopes, which end up being expensive.

Listen: you pay $125 for new Primary Arms red dot, mount it once, shoot it, and maybe resell it for $50 on eBay. Meanwhile, an AimPoint PRO (I paid $375 new) can be used heavily and sold for easily $300.

So your net cost is the same; meanwhile, with a quality optic, you get a lifetime unlimited warranty, customer support – and most important, you don’t think, “If only I had saved a little more…” every time you go to the range.

Personally, I’d get an AimPoint PRO or a Leupold 3-9 (best one you can manage) and call it a day. Nikon does make pretty decent scopes too, though you'll get slightly less on the second-hand market.

“The poor man buys twice.”

Just my $0.02. Good luck with it.

IMO, there is no such thing as a cheap or expensive scope: they all cost about the same, though in practice, most “expensive” scopes are cheaper to own than "affordable" scopes, which end up being expensive.

Listen: you pay $125 for new Primary Arms red dot, mount it once, shoot it, and maybe resell it for $50 on eBay. Meanwhile, an AimPoint PRO

“The poor man buys twice.”

Just my $0.02. Good luck with it.

This is excellent advice. Another quote that I tend to use is "Buy once cry once" Quality optics tend to hold their value better than cheaper ones (until the next best thing comes along).

I have recently been looking for two different scopes and the used prices are no more than $150-400 different than buying new on a $1500 or $3200 scope, respectively.

The bit about the warranty is also a sticking point. Some companies have a 1 year, 3 yr, etc warranty. Going with a company who has a lifetime transferable warranty lets you know they really stand behind their product.

You can get that warranty even at a low price point with vortex.

I think we sometimes into the trap of "needing" to get top of the line stuff. Get the best that you can afford. If your budget is $200 and that optic will be capable of withstanding the use you will put it through then I say by all means have at it. You may eventually want to upgrade but you can always use the old one towards the new purchase.

As far as the RDS vs scope I think you can get solid hits out to 100 yds and still have a usable optic inside 100 with a dot.

I have used primary arms, vortex, and currently have an eotech on my ar and would recommend any of those 3 in their perspective price ranges. Vortex does hold an edge over PA with their warranty though. It is legit no bs lifetime. That has a monetary value IMO.

If you really want a scope you will have to narrow down the price range, magnification, and features you would like to get a good recommendation. You can get a fixed 3x or a variable. Different reticles, lighted, mil dot, ar specific bdc, etc. Don't forget you should buy quality rings as well for a scope.

I have a Nikon m223 2x8 that's works great at 100 and beyond. My choice was partially made on the smaller but still somewhat powerfull specs. I shoot at efga every weekend. When your at the range ask some of the people to look thru what ever they have. Most people are happy to show off their goods it'll make it easier to make a decision. Post if you'll be there this weekend and if I'm there you can try mine a put a few rounds down range with it.

John

IMHO....  Shoot your AR with iron sights first, then graduate to a red dot or reflex, then move up to a scope.  PA and Nikon both offer excellent value in optics.  Bushnell optics are garbage these days but their red dots are actually very good for the money.

Konus makes a great scope for a good price. My  LGS Lous in Raritan recommended it and I am very happy.  

PS It is one of the reasons I recommend Lous in Raritan.  They are not out to just make a buck and but take time to  provide solutions to your needs.  After the Rem 700 recall they even bore sighted my rifle again too.  

i've heard a lot of good things about:

http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-speed-shot-1-4x24

including a decent review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvMfbYwED1k

for $230 (amazon pricing) this is most likely what i'm picking up for my next AR build