Saw an ad yesterday and contacted seller. Mossberg bolt action. for 500. with scope. Seller replied he is in Passaic, Did not want to travel and told him. Reply was He will ship. I replied No, will add to cost FFL & NICS. He replied, pay me and I will send it to your house with DL. Then I can go to FFL for transfer. Should I contact the POPO?

Contact the police for what reason? That he says he will ship to you and not an FFL?  Intrastate sales are legal this way in many other states, just not NJ.   I think the seller is just a little confused as to the procedure for a FTF private sale as most are here in NJ.  If you are unable to secure the terms of sale you wish then don't do it.

Seller replied he is in Passaic, Did not want to travel and told him. Reply was He will ship. I replied No, will add to cost FFL & NICS

You didn't want to travel to him and you didn't want him to ship it? so you were asking him to come to you?

He might be. But they usually buy, not sell.

I'm not even sure what is wrong with this in NJ. Do you have to meet FTF to fill out the COE or something? Or can that be done by mail?

IIRC, all gun sales must be FTF per federal law, unless it's C&R or other FFL on the receiving end. 

IIRC, all gun sales must be FTF per federal law, unless it's C&R or other FFL on the receiving end. 

Not true with respect to federal law. Gun sales can occur by mail within states with no FFL involvement and no FTF if there is no state law against it. It's done all the time.

You didn't want to travel to him and you didn't want him to ship it? so you were asking him to come to you?

Seems like the only option.  But in fairness to the seller he can ask for compensation.. and kind of defeats the conceren about extra incurred costs... Needs to be FTF so buyer can show FPID (and other ID?) and swap COEs.

Not true with respect to federal law. Gun sales can occur by mail within states with no FFL involvement and no FTF if there is no state law against it. It's done all the time.

Perfectly legal to do this in NJ also. Swap COEs and ID by emails. The gun can be mailed directly to the buyer.

Perfectly legal to do this in NJ also. Swap COEs and ID by emails. The gun can be mailed directly to the buyer.

WOW! I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday. And how many times I traveled farther than I wanted to seal the deal.

I dont know the law..ok.

Ahem...

Exhibit A:

He is from NJ. He should know the law.  If he is unaware inform him of his errors. If he doesnt care and continues to press the issue then I would involve the authorities. Guys like that make gun owners look bad

Yes, you don't know the law in this very thread and told people to call the cops over legal activity. What example could be more convincing than that?

I find it very odd that guns can be mailed person to person. It may be legal but I cant image it being looked on in a positive light if you get long guns shipped to your house. Doesnt look good. I guess I stand corrected. I didnt jump to call the cops. Its a whole situational thing. If it feels shady then sure you can but doesnt have to. Lot of shady shit on armslist. Cant be too careful. Also, since when has something legal not cost somebody a hell of a lot of money in legal fees. Especially in this state of gray areas. So, yes I guess I wad wrong, kill me for having the individual be cautious. Mipa, you can get back on your high horse of knowing everything and proving the cops wrong. We wouldnt be here without your magnificence.  

I also don't buy the getting guns mailed to your house and emailing FPID and DL thing. Who can prove that the person emailing them is the actual person on id's. I personally wouldn't trust that method. I have had people tell me when meeting FTF "oh I forgot my FPID will a picture do?" Sorry Pal I need to see the real deal. Especially with Photoshop and other ways to make stuff.

I find it very odd that guns can be mailed person to person. It may be legal but I cant image it being looked on in a positive light if you get long guns shipped to your house. Doesnt look good. I guess I stand corrected. I didnt jump to call the cops. Its a whole situational thing. If it feels shady then sure you can but doesnt have to. Lot of shady shit on armslist. Cant be too careful. Also, since when has something legal not cost somebody a hell of a lot of money in legal fees. Especially in this state of gray areas. So, yes I guess I wad wrong, kill me for having the individual be cautious. Mipa, you can get back on your high horse of knowing everything and proving the cops wrong. We wouldnt be here without your magnificence.  

I am with you on this one, but maybe because I am to cynical and I have very little trust in people in general.

The lessons from this thread are:

1) don't jump to conclusions

2) don't automatically think, "Hmmm, I should call the cops on this guy." Unless it's a crime in progress, this is almost always a bad idea. If you're friendly with the officer in your jurisdiction who issues permits you might have called him to ask about legalities, or gone to a reputable FFL for the same purpose. But not to have a SWAT team burst into his house and all that entails, which is not out of the realm of possibility.

3) DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH on the law. You could have originally asked "is this legal?" and "please cite the relevant law" instead of disparaging Armslist and that particular seller (including printing his name here). 

I still don't understand why you wouldn't drive to this guy's place and do a face to face, but that's your business.