CMJeepster

Am I overr-thinking this?

The local PD's alarm registration form (http://www.hopewelltwp.org/police/Alarm%20Registration%20Form.pdf) has two items that I'm confused about.  There's a check box for "Guns" and then a box for "weapons."  I find myself not wanting to check the Guns" box and I'm confused as to what they're looking for in terms of "weapons" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weapon something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy).  Should I list my hand tools, kitchen tools and garden tools?  What about my sporting equipment like hockey sticks, golf clubs and baseball bats?  I'm all for protecting first responders should there be a fire and ammo cooks off, but why do I need to disclose this info?

Leave that section blank.

ETA:

Directions to your Location/provide landmarks to identify property:

Your PD doesn't know how to find your residence without directions? An address is not good enough?

Leave that section blank.

ETA:

Your PD doesn't know how to find your residence without directions? An address is not good enough?

That's was my gut feeling.  I'd like to think that with all of our modern technology, they'd be able to find my place.  While the township is moslty rural, there are some areas like mine that aren't.

If you have a P2P issued by that department and used by you, it kinda gives them their answer to the guns question, doesn't it

True.  I had that in my initial post, but my browser crashed before I posted.  I'm assuming that this sheet would be pulled if/when the alarm company calls.  It would act almost like a dog tag versus having your complete medical record on you 24/7.

I would think they want that info to determine how to respond. If somebody breaks into your house they would like to know if that person could have potentially gotten a firearm that could be used against them or what to expect if they do find the suspect. i.e. you have a sword above your fireplace and they see it is missing they now know the suspect could potentially be armed with a sword and they can respond accordingly. 

I would think they want that info to determine how to respond. If somebody breaks into your house they would like to know if that person could have potentially gotten a firearm that could be used against them or what to expect if they do find the suspect. i.e. you have a sword above your fireplace and they see it is missing they now know the suspect could potentially be armed with a sword and they can respond accordingly. 

I think you are over thinking this.  I would venture to say this form gets put in a drawer somewhere, and at some point a box, and that the dispatcher has no access to it or just will not bother finding it.  Sounds like more NJ BS paperwork.

Do you update it each time you acquire a new weapon?  What about the person that has no weapons when they fill it out, and then later gets some?

A case of Kal Kan and a Doberman works just as good and he don't look for more problems or ask stupid questions

I hear ya, but my dog is getting old and might not be as good a watch dog as it used to be.  I also am getting fire and water (sump) monitoring with the system.  Doggy can't do that.

I'm not sure why exactly the cops would need to know about guns but firefighters would need to know if/where loaded guns are if they are entering during a fire. If the ammo cooks off while a round is in the chamber that's pretty much the same as pulling the trigger.

... I'm all for protecting first responders should there be a fire and ammo cooks off, but why do I need to disclose this info?

BTW - Ammo cooking off (that is not chambered in a firearm) is not that dangerous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI), the standards-setting organization for the industry, has provided this video to fire departments nationwide to help firefighters better address the realities of fires in which sporting ammunition is present.

I don't think this holds water. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming every officer would arrive at such a scene and proceed with the utmost caution regardless of something he was told from dispatch. Regardless of what is in the house, you could never know what the criminal may have been carrying before he even arrived at the house.