AlDente67

Unclaimed property notice. Hmmm, lets see what it is

So my father calls me up today and says that the Trenton Times ran a listing this morning of all NJ unclaimed property held by the State Treasury Dept.  How he noticed that I'll never know (aside from being retired with loads of free time).

Turns out I'm in there for an undisclosed sum, listed under my name and current address.  I don't know what it is, but I sent in the claim to open this box of chocolates.  Probably that $5 balance I left in an old credit union account I forgot about, but hopefully something more juicy.

Unfortunately it says to give them 12 weeks to process the claim.

Why they simply didn't send something to my address that they have on file is a mystery.  I only moved here in 1998.

Why they simply didn't send something to my address that they have on file is a mystery. I only moved here in 1998.

You're lucky they put it in the paper.

I would have expected the list to be "on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

They would be much more likely to be able to keep the goods due to being unclaimed that way.

Good luck, whatever it is.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

You're lucky they put it in the paper.

I would have expected the list to be "on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

They would be much more likely to be able to keep the goods due to being unclaimed that way.

Good luck, whatever it is.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

:D

Yeah, that's where I filed the claim.

I'll update the thread when I know what it is. If it is a million dollars from my dead uncle, I'll take all of you out for a beer. :gaming:

It's probably a sting to get you on an outstanding warrant.

how legit is this ? I mean it's asking for my SS# and address ....

If you're using missingmoney.com then it's legit. I used it a long time ago and not "bad" happened...just free money lol

perhaps I should have posted more...the site is VERY real, and VERY legitimate.  I found two paychecks that my wife forgot to cash via this website here a year or so ago, and it was very easy to get the money refunded (and while it wasn't fast, it took less time than the weeks & weeks they warned it could take).  What you are looking at is a set of laws called Escheat.  From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escheat

"Escheat is a common law doctrine which transfers the property of a person who dies without heirs to the crown or state. It serves to ensure that property is not left in "limbo" without recognized ownership. It originally applied to a number of situations where a legal interest in land was destroyed by operation of law, so that the ownership of the land reverted to the immediately superior feudal lord."

What that means in practice is that inactive bank accounts, un-cashed paychecks, unclaimed refunds, etc, are "claimed" by the State to hold in trust until the legitimate owner comes forth to claim it.  And they define "inactive" as sitting for as little as 2 years with no deposit/withdrawal/inquiry.  A few banks will warn you before the time is up and the State claims it, but many don't.  We're talking billions of dollars here....and NJ will return it (with interest) if you can show its yours - its easy to do - but it gives NJ (and every other State in the Union) a tremendous slush fund to play with.

It's ligit........My now deceased mother had a bulk settlement for a pension from a company that closed back in the early 80's. It sat for many years held by NY State until I saw some report on the TV about all the monies left unclaimed.

It took awhile and I had to submit quite a bit of paperwork but was eventually able to claim a rather large sum.