Malsua

Looks like snow...

Not yet, but they've applied for it.    They are asking for an almost 40% increase in the allowed weight for a light sport aircraft, so I'm not optimistic...but it will at least likely reach the market within a year--just not under LSA rules.  

For the curious:  http://www.terrafugia.com/aircraft/transition

not nearly as nice looking....but they've been beaten to the punch.

my problem with flying cars, is that i saw enough stupidity in people that went through the entire ppl training. i've had people fly the wrong pattern, and one instructor that told me to keep going on my downwind 'cause he'll turn. he didn't. i ignored the instructor, cleared my turn, and exited the pattern midfield as i made notice on the radio.......the other guy continued as if he never saw us............no.....i don't trust other people on the road, i sure as HELL don't want those #$%^% morons in the sky with me.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/MaverickFlyingCarLSAApproved_203394-1.html

Also, some cars have much narrow tires. Take a look at a Prius someday, its all about fuel efficiency.

Do all Prius's come with an "Obama 4 change" sticker? A "save the bears/stop the hunt" sticker? And a "Coexist" sticker? I figured they were standard equipment because every one of those cars I see on the road have them on the back bumper lol...

Do all Prius's come with an "Obama 4 change" sticker? A "save the bears/stop the hunt" sticker? And a "Coexist" sticker? I figured they were standard equipment because every one of those cars I see on the road have them on the back bumper lol...

I assure you they don't; neither of mine had any bumper stickers on them.  But then I owned a pair of 2002 which you probably would not even recognize as a Prius as they were the original model that had a trunk not a hatchback.  I bought both used in '05 and '06 when gas was cheap and nobody wanted them, I averaged better than 45 MPG with them and they were super reliable cars.  It was nice to have the trunk to keep my guns out of sight too.

i don't trust other people on the road, i sure as HELL don't want those #$%^% morons in the sky with me.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/MaverickFlyingCarLSAApproved_203394-1.html

I quite agree!  Every time I drive to the airport I'm reminded of how thankful I am that many of the folks in cars will never have a chance to be so inept in the air.

Hadn't seen the Maverick before.    Been reading about the Terrafugia for years, as it's been 'almost' ready for sale since about 2007...

I quite agree!  Every time I drive to the airport I'm reminded of how thankful I am that many of the folks in cars will never have a chance to be so inept in the air.

Hadn't seen the Maverick before.    Been reading about the Terrafugia for years, as it's been 'almost' ready for sale since about 2007...

the maverick's kinda cheesy.......but it's a flying car. :)

the terrafugia is scary to me. i've seen videos of it in flight, and to be honest, it looks like it's barely maintaining flight at speeds where it should easily maintain flight. almost as if it's either overweight, or underpowered.

I assure you they don't; neither of mine had any bumper stickers on them.  But then I owned a pair of 2002 which you probably would not even recognize as a Prius as they were the original model that had a trunk not a hatchback.  I bought both used in '05 and '06 when gas was cheap and nobody wanted them, I averaged better than 45 MPG with them and they were super reliable cars.  It was nice to have the trunk to keep my guns out of sight too.

how much did the batteries cost ya? :)

i just did a pair of hid headlights in an 07 a few weeks back. bulbs were somewhere int he ballpark of a hundred bucks each(but that's any hid on any car), and one is supposed to remove the front bumper fascia in order to facilitate removal of the entire headlight assembly to replace those bulbs. i didn't, as i was able to fit my hands where the bulbs were though.....

X 2 at least on this this. I certainly do not fit the demographic but I too own a Prius. 101,000 trouble free miles so far and 42 MPG. For what it worth I also have an F150

i just did a pair of hid headlights in an 07 a few weeks back. bulbs were somewhere int he ballpark of a hundred bucks each(but that's any hid on any car), and one is supposed to remove the front bumper fascia in order to facilitate removal of the entire headlight assembly to replace those bulbs. i didn't, as i was able to fit my hands where the bulbs were though.....

I too have a 2007. Bulbs are are very fiddley to change but it's doable. Toyota dealership told me the same chit. It's a lie. No need to remove bumper and the bulbs cost $6 each at Nappa. Prior models have a different headlight bulbs that cost $47 not sure what year they changed

Snow? More like snow job. 

Historic blizzard? They meant to say histrionic. 

All smoke and mirrors. To fulfill the global warming narrative. The forecasts are the prophesies of the religion known as "climate change." Like Isaiah, Samuel, and Geronimo none of it ever comes true but who cares? Move on to the next insanity.

I too have a 2007. Bulbs are are very fiddley to change but it's doable. Toyota dealership told me the same chit. It's a lie. No need to remove bumper and the bulbs cost $6 each at Nappa. Prior models have a different headlight bulbs that cost $47 not sure what year they changed

yours don't have hid's then........that price i mentioned? that was my cost.........

as for the bumper thing.....yea. he expected to be paying me the labor to remove it. i only charged him the time it took me to do it without removing it.......

and if i were to get anything for mileage....i kinda like the elio........

yours don't have hid's then........that price i mentioned? that was my cost.........

as for the bumper thing.....yea. he expected to be paying me the labor to remove it. i only charged him the time it took me to do it without removing it.......

and if i were to get anything for mileage....i kinda like the elio........

I really dig the Elio. Sure hope it actually get made. It's way cool.

I own 4 vehicles none of which get more than 12-15 mpg. I cannot fathom 45mpg. Does Toyota make a full size 1ton van that gets 45mpg? Because I would buy one!

I think you can have size OR mpg, pick any one.   :)

Batteries?  I replaced the 12V tiny car batter in the trunk on each car, even the aftermarket ones are high but under $100.  Never a need to replace the traction battery, and the one I just got rid of had 146K miles on her.  People get scared about the battery costs, but I think they are warranted for 8yr / 100k miles and you can always pickup a rebuilt one for about $1,500.  Cheap considering there is no transmission in the car to ever have to replace, no starter motor and you almost never use the friction brakes so they last a long long time.  I never changed the rear brakes and only did the fronts once.  I replaced the car with a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid which has a life-time warranty on the traction battery.

Yes they tell you that you have to remove the bumper to change bulbs (stupid) but there is a way to do it from under the hood if you have smaller hands.  I think HID's are about at the end of their life, as the new LED bulbs are as bright or brighter and much cheaper.

I really dig the Elio. Sure hope it actually get made. It's way cool.

if they actually get those to market, and they're even half of what they look like they can be......i'll be picking up one of those. they look like they could possibly be a lot of fun.

Batteries?  I replaced the 12V tiny car batter in the trunk on each car, even the aftermarket ones are high but under $100.  Never a need to replace the traction battery, and the one I just got rid of had 146K miles on her.  People get scared about the battery costs, but I think they are warranted for 8yr / 100k miles and you can always pickup a rebuilt one for about $1,500.  Cheap considering there is no transmission in the car to ever have to replace, no starter motor and you almost never use the friction brakes so they last a long long time.  I never changed the rear brakes and only did the fronts once.  I replaced the car with a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid which has a life-time warranty on the traction battery.

Yes they tell you that you have to remove the bumper to change bulbs (stupid) but there is a way to do it from under the hood if you have smaller hands.  I think HID's are about at the end of their life, as the new LED bulbs are as bright or brighter and much cheaper.

i was meaning the big battery pack. back at another shop i used to work at, we got one in there with a cel on. it took us right to that battery pack. at the time, none of us there had a clue about hybrids or how to deal with those packs.....so we shipped him to the dealer. he was just out of warranty, and told us that that battery pack cost him around $5k a friend of mine just had hers replaced hers, but it was less than $3k installed. she's happy with the car.

as for the bumper? as said, i didn't have to take it off. i was determined to not take it off. it's absolutely ridiculous that a designer or engineer would design a car that requires removal of the bumper, or any other body part to replace a wear item.

i was meaning the big battery pack. back at another shop i used to work at, we got one in there with a cel on. it took us right to that battery pack. at the time, none of us there had a clue about hybrids or how to deal with those packs.....so we shipped him to the dealer. he was just out of warranty, and told us that that battery pack cost him around $5k a friend of mine just had hers replaced hers, but it was less than $3k installed. she's happy with the car.

as for the bumper? as said, i didn't have to take it off. i was determined to not take it off. it's absolutely ridiculous that a designer or engineer would design a car that requires removal of the bumper, or any other body part to replace a wear item.

Yes, the Stealer's charge an arm an a leg for lots of stuff.  You can buy rebuilt packs for as low as $1,200 that have all new cells and its only a couple of hours to change them.  The other option is find one in a junk yard from a car that was damaged in a front-end accident.  There are a lot of cars out there with stupid designs.  I remember back in the 1970's when Chevy came out with a car called the Monza.  It was originally designed with a small engine but as an option you could get it with a V8.  Only problem was that to change the last spark plug you actually had to pull the engine to get to it.  Now THAT is stupid big time.

how about crappy little cars in the snow? :)

Oh, while my old Prius was great in terms of MPG it was probably the worst car ever made for snow and ice.  When going up hill in snow the traction control would cut back on power, and it would keep doing it until you came to a stop.  What was worse was there was no way to turn it off, and the car's pseudo CVT left you with but one forward gear.  The only way to get up a slippery hill was to have enough room so that you could tack up the hill the way a sailboat does when trying to head into the wind.  That was part of the reason I bought the HSH in that you can turn off the traction control and it has a real 6 speed auto transmission that you can actually manually pick gears on.

Yes, the Stealer's charge an arm an a leg for lots of stuff.  You can buy rebuilt packs for as low as $1,200 that have all new cells and its only a couple of hours to change them.  The other option is find one in a junk yard from a car that was damaged in a front-end accident.  There are a lot of cars out there with stupid designs.  I remember back in the 1970's when Chevy came out with a car called the Monza.  It was originally designed with a small engine but as an option you could get it with a V8.  Only problem was that to change the last spark plug you actually had to pull the engine to get to it.  Now THAT is stupid big time.

i worked on one of those. if i remember, it was a 265ci v8? i pulled the job to change the plugs. the other guys were laughing at me 'cause they thought i'd be having to pull the engine out. i didn't. i unbolted the mounts, and jacked that sonbich up as high as i could. it was just enough room to get my hands in there to change them all. i won a weeks worth of free lunch for that, lolol.

there was also the big v8 pontiwrecks that you had to fight to do the p/s rear plug. then there's the audi a4's with the need to remove the front end to do a timing belt. or the buick v6's that require removal of a motormount or one of its bolts just to replace the serp belt..........

i am of the opinion that ALL automotive designers and engineers should be required to work in the field repairing stuff before they're ever allowed to start designing or engineering......

I think my 88 Honda Civic got nearly 40 MPG. I remember checking it a number of times, although not on a regular basis. I had over 100K on it and the only time I ever replaced anything on it was when I wrecked it :D

those old hondas were pretty amazing. hard to do some things on, but amazing.

Lol, can an 80 gal hot water heater fit in a prius? Hahha. I'm kinda screwed with my vehicle choices.

Actually it can, although the hatch does not fully close.  I know this from first hand experience with a friends' Prius.  You can even fit a double wall oven in it.

Actually it can, although the hatch does not fully close. I know this from first hand experience with a friends' Prius. You can even fit a double wall oven in it.

I can hear the guys at the supply house harassing me about my new service vehicle now lol...:lol:

Oh, while my old Prius was great in terms of MPG it was probably the worst car ever made for snow and ice.  When going up hill in snow the traction control would cut back on power, and it would keep doing it until you came to a stop.  What was worse was there was no way to turn it off, and the car's pseudo CVT left you with but one forward gear.  The only way to get up a slippery hill was to have enough room so that you could tack up the hill the way a sailboat does when trying to head into the wind.  That was part of the reason I bought the HSH in that you can turn off the traction control and it has a real 6 speed auto transmission that you can actually manually pick gears on.

Yeah that's the only thing I don't like about my Prius. Real bad in snow. That stupid traction control that you can't turn off kicks in and it goes no where. I park when it snows and use the F150. Has a posi and good ground clearance, never been stuck. But it only get 17 mpg